• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

People trying to sound deep and intelligent by quoting this one overly used socrates quote:
"All i know is that i know nothing"

If used in an argument and one claims to know -anything- these fools fall back on this quote smugly by claiming intellect while acknowledging themselves as being completely ignorant.
"Many foods are made out of dough."
"But, what if dough isn't dough man..."
"Really?"
"Social media told me the wisest man in the world is an ignorant fool so by proxy I'm wise for being an ignorant fool"

It's ****ing stupid.

I'm just going to start responding by saying "You're so right. YOU don't know anything. Pick up a book sometime and change that".

Right. They think that because nobody knows everything, anybody might be wrong about anything, so therefore you aren't allowed to win an argument against them.

I'd be tempted to reply, "So your only argument is that you think there's a way I might be wrong, but you've just admitted that you're not smart enough to figure it out."

"(person, entity, etc.) has no concept of x" or something similar. While this may be true in some cases, when it's not it's flat out ridiculous.

OK, I have no concept of x? But I do have some understanding of y, don't I? Blah blah blah...good, so let's get started on you now! Tell me, enlighten me with your godly wisdom, please oh please guide me on this path of self-righteousness so I can be perfect and without flaws like you!

Spare me.

Last edited:
^That's another thing. Why do they call it "swearing a blue streak"? It has especially bothered me since the 90's because Sonic the Hedgehog has been referred to a "blue streak", but only because of his color and speed.

MY husband always tells my kids to “pull your head in” whatever that means. He also says “like you say” when I literally have not said whatever it is he says I’ve said.

It's not something that is often specifically said to people on the autistic spectrum any more than NTs, but I had an extremely destructive relationship when I was in my early 30's (I'm 48 now) and my partner often used to say, "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness".

I also like saying “like” and “totally” all the time too. I’m thinking because I’m such a hermit and most of my social interaction is on the internet, where those terms are common. But again, I get annoyed when other people say it.

I can't stand "irregardless" and "should of".

On the other hand, I love backwoods talk like "fixin' to" and "might could".

I recon ya can't forget seein' as how and bein' as how and so on :p

Yep, I cotton to that like a pig to mud.

I didn't grow up around talk like that. I just think it's fun. I love to sit in a technical meeting and someone asks if something is feasible, and I say, "I might could do that." It lightens the tone of the meeting.

The colors blue and black get a bad rap.

Dang, if I wanted to disparage something based on a color I'd probably use one like Chartreuse. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom