• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

"The [sports team] are right back in it."

If a team isn't "in it," that means they are "out of it," or can't come back (which I think is never the case, but that's what the phrase means). So you can't go from not being able to come back ("out of it") to being able to come back ("in it").

At the end of the day.

It is what it is.

Take it to the next level.

You know what I'm saying?

"Should of" instead of "should have".

Not knowing when to use me or I. (Incorrect: "John and me went to the store." Correct: "John and I went to the store.")

Saying "pacifically" instead of "specifically".

Using "literally" when describing something figurative.

Saying "I could care less" instead of "I could not care less".

Last edited:
"I would hit that" in reference to finding someone attractive.

You'llPokeYourEyeOut "I could care less" instead of "I could not care less" really annoys me. I've never actually heard anyone say it but come across it in fanfiction a lot (maybe an American thing?), it puts me right off the story!

You'llPokeYourEyeOut "I could care less" instead of "I could not care less" really annoys me. I've never actually heard anyone say it but come across it in fanfiction a lot (maybe an American thing?), it puts me right off the story![/QUOTE]

Definitely used in the USA. Not by me, though.

Since moving to the south, I've discovered a few colloquialisms here that irritate me. I know what they mean but, why not just say that instead of these?

Redneck - a prejudiced person.
Biscuit Head - a lazy person that lives in the homes of others and refuses to get a job or help around the house.
Domminicker - Silver Laced Wyandotte chicken.
Bodark - Osage orange tree.
A'ight - all right?

Not knowing when to use me or I. (Incorrect: "John and me went to the store." Correct: "John and I went to the store.")
I find this rule completely arbitrary and thus deem it illegitimate. In what way is the sentence mechanically compromised by the use of "me" instead of "I"? The only arguments I have heard in regard to this rule is that "me" bears more aggressive and self-centered connotations, and thus the use of "I" preferable. This would make it more a matter of etiquette and aesthetics than grammar.

One word that does bother me is "conversate". This neoglism is derived from "conversation", which is derived from "converse", which happens to have the same meaning as "conversate". So what is the purpose of this new word, beyond merely adding an extra syllable to a sentence?

I hate "I'm going to RUN to the store." when clearly the person saying it is going to drive a vehicle to the store, not run. Or "Let me RUN and get that for you." when they have no intention of running but, are going to walk or drive to get the item in question.

The I vs Me misuse bugs me too. The way I learned to know which to use was to remove the reference to the other person involved or change a proper name to a generic reference. You would not say "Me went to the store." or "He and me went to the store." You would use "I" in both cases so, "I" is correct with the proper name as well.

I don't know if this is called a figure of speech but....
"smile, it might never happen!" How do they know what has or hasn't happened?!
The worst one is "who's died?" . That is a very tactless way to say that someone is not grinning wide enough for their liking. These phrases commenting on how someone should be smiling more are very annoying and all they succeed in getting me to do is frown more! Most of the time I have an expressionless face, which does not mean I am always miserable, and for some people this is too much to comprehend. They would be more content if I grinned ear to ear all my waking life. Which I am not going to do.

I
I find this rule completely arbitrary and thus deem it illegitimate. In what way is the sentence mechanically compromised by the use of "me" instead of "I"? The only arguments I have heard in regard to this rule is that "me" bears more aggressive and self-centered connotations, and thus the use of "I" preferable. This would make it more a matter of etiquette and aesthetics than grammar.

To figure out which one is proper to use, you must view it in the singular sense, if you were just talking about yourself. This helps you to figure out which one to use when adding another person to the equation, thus "John and I went to the store" is appropriate because when when you make it singular ("I went to the store") it still makes sense. When you make "John and me went to the store" singular, it is "Me went to the store". That is not proper English.

"Life's not fair" since it's always used to either justify completely tyrannical favoritism or to excuse a disastrous event as nothing important.

There's one that both my Mother and I use, "I'm not being funny but..." and then we proceed to be funny about something.

"cheer up, might never happen."
"It's not the end of the world".
Or any other figure of speech that wants to make light of my feelings or problems.

'POP'

Nobody pops

Gonna pop to the store?

You're going to 'go' to the store aren't you?

I want to see you POP if you say POP.

Meh, I'm English and still say stuff like "I'm just poppin' to t'Tesco"

It's probably an English thing, particularly Northern.

I hate it when people swear every other word in everyday conversation, which most people seem to do all the time now. I had to learn to block it out somewhat just so I wouldn't go insane.
I find it really disgusting when people say "are you sh***ing me?" instead of "Are you kidding me?"
Or when they say "You're the s**t", which is supposed to be a good thing, which makes no sense when looking, feeling, or smelling like feces is normally considered a bad thing.:mask:
Or maybe worst of all, when they say something such as "For lunch I had burgers and fries and s**t." Please don't put that literal image in my head.:tongueclosed:

I hate it when people swear every other word in everyday conversation, which most people seem to do all the time now. I had to learn to block it out somewhat just so I wouldn't go insane.
I find it really disgusting when people say "are you sh***ing me?" instead of "Are you kidding me?"
Or when they say "You're the s**t", which is supposed to be a good thing, which makes no sense when looking, feeling, or smelling like feces is normally considered a bad thing.:mask:
Or maybe worst of all, when they say something such as "For lunch I had burgers and fries and s**t." Please don't put that literal image in my head.:tongueclosed:

You probably don't watch Mrs Brown's Boys then or other Irish comedy such as Father Ted? Might be a bit of a stereotype but on those shows the Irish stars swear a lot.

Mum used to work with an Irish lady called Stella, she never swore in front of the customers, but in the back? The air was bright blue lol.

I swear a lot. It just comes out.

New Threads

Top Bottom