• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So I finally heard back from the psychologist about an assessment

So sorry to hear this. It's disgusting, how they price the most vulnerable people out. Just more elitism in a world already divided by wealth inequality. Makes your blood boil. No wonder so many people struggle on without help, support or validation.

It's one reason why we oughtn't to come down on self-dxers, or worry about diagnosis status, as I've sadly seen some ASD people do. We don't want to stratify and get into internecine conflict among ourselves, just like the people trying to keep us down want and just like they treat each other.

Fwiw, assessment would have cost at least this much for me, too, had it not been for a (rare) wonderful GP who put me on a years-long NHS waiting list for free assessment. I was almost four years older by the time they got to my name on the list, and also they used my case (anonymised) for a study in return. Still, at least I wasn't over 2 grand out of pocket. Now and then, it's nice to be a Brit.

Wondering if there's a way you could laterally get around the fee, such as taking part in a study, or being seen by a student psychologist?

Why did you find that funny? <scratch head>

Have I missed something?
Perhaps I am having an autistic moment?

Somewhere there was a joke in my statement. Maybe a very poor joke. Don't think about this too much.

Somewhere there was a joke in my statement. Maybe a very poor joke.
I suspected that but wasn't sure.

Even NTs have issues.
I guess you are saying they wouldn't need an assessment if they are truly NTs. <shrug>

Maybe l need more coffee, can we just move on? <shrug> <headscratch> <eye roll> <loud scream> <leaving:)>

And it's going to cost me about $2000 just to complete it 😐

I think I'll just stick to being my quirky self for free!
Sorry to hear that. It would have cost me the same.
Fortunately, the psychologist I saw offers a sort of pre-assessment, including 4 questionnaires, for a lot less money. I think that's a very decent offer. I still didn't do it because she advised me against it and said that she was sure I am autistic after our very thorough talk and the questionnaires wouldn't have resulted in anything different.

Diagnosis is to me a tangled blessing: on the one hand, after 67 years of oddity, confirmation is clarifying; on the other hand, once the diagnosis is there, anyone in any position or capacity will pigeonhole me according to their own concept of the diagnosis, not by my expression and experience of it.

Being fortunate to be a very functional old grey haired lady and hardheaded, I don't want the government anywhere in my business. I don't need to be qualified for anything assistance wise, and very grateful to just be left alone.

Diagnosis serves a few purposes, like verifying one's suspicians and sometimes providing evidence to concerned others (ie spouse, family, etc). But I think the biggest is it is needed for activating certain benefits and programs.

As long as you don't forsee needing benefits/programs it is really your choice. One doesn't have to go public, it is private information, like many other medical conditions. For reference many do not seek diagnosis. Quite a few of us here are only self diagnosed and content with that. That's my case and if I had to guess would estimate around 25-33% of our members are.

Diagnosis is to me a tangled blessing: on the one hand, after 67 years of oddity, confirmation is clarifying; on the other hand, once the diagnosis is there, anyone in any position or capacity will pigeonhole me according to their own concept of the diagnosis, not by my expression and experience of it.

Being fortunate to be a very functional old grey haired lady and hardheaded, I don't want the government anywhere in my business. I don't need to be qualified for anything assistance wise, and very grateful to just be left alone.
Agreed.

The Truth did set me free to a large degree, however.

Australia.
I was assessed for free in Australia around 44 years ago.
Things have changed.

These were the days before the term "Aspergers" was used.
I was dxed as being "Mildly Autistic", with an emphasis on MILD.

New Threads

Top Bottom