• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Artificial light sickness

thejuice

Does anyone get sick from artificial lights? The glare makes.me dizzy, irritable and sick. It feeds into addictive behaviours which soothe the discomfort.

Even low wattage is bad.

Fluorescent?
Incandescent?
LED?
??

No, I feel more uncomfortable in dim-lit rooms or environments. I feel like my pupils are straining, and I feel isolated and dizzy, like I need to escape into a really bright light. For me it's the main light in a room or no lights at all (though I'm not keen on the dark).

Yes. I distinctly dislike artificial lighting. Old-school incandescents at about 40 watts are OK, but I really prefer candles, fire, kerosene lamp, or the new-fashioned yellowish LEDs. Something about bright blue is disorienting.

Fluorescent is worst (banned in my Utopia on mental health grounds), LED is bad, incandescent is least bad but still bad. I have an incandescent 15 watt fridge bulb in my sockets with a shade and they still make me disoriented.

I do have an orange LED that if hidden I can handle

Last edited:
Yes. I distinctly dislike artificial lighting. Old-school incandescents at about 40 watts are OK, but I really prefer candles, fire, kerosene lamp, or the new-fashioned yellowish LEDs. Something about bright blue is disorienting.
What do you do for air ventilation? If it's freezing here I wouldn't want to have windows open but summer some candles etc could be a nice option

Older fluorescent tube lights are particularly annoying due to the flicker they produce.

However, for myself, it's less about the type of light (LED, etc) as it is about the intensity and the frequency of the light spectrum. Since I have a lot of plants in the home, large windows, etc. any artificial lights I have specifically looked for and purchased "sunlight" bulbs that produce a light close to natural sunlight frequencies.

At work, I have mentioned a number of times to our management that these "cool white" bulbs are absolutely horrible for people to work under, as it strains the eyes, and can actually exacerbate depressive mood states. However, it's a huge hospital system, multiple campuses, with budgets and contracts, and they are going to use whatever they can get the cheapest.

Is a phone LED? I always have to have a filter over the top.(Night shift). To colour light blue or orange

Older fluorescent tube lights are particularly annoying due to the flicker they produce.

However, for myself, it's less about the type of light (LED, etc) as it is about the intensity and the frequency of the light spectrum. Since I have a lot of plants in the home, large windows, etc. any artificial lights I have specifically looked for and purchased "sunlight" bulbs that produce a light close to natural sunlight frequencies.

At work, I have mentioned a number of times to our management that these "cool white" bulbs are absolutely horrible for people to work under, as it strains the eyes, and can actually exacerbate depressive mood states. However, it's a huge hospital system, multiple campuses, with budgets and contracts, and they are going to use whatever they can get the cheapest.
Hospitals I guess they need the light that goes right through you? I agree it's horrible. I'd have to wear shades.

Is a sunlight bulb a SAD lamp? I have one maybe I dig it out

What do you do for air ventilation? If it's freezing here I wouldn't want to have windows open but summer some candles etc could be a nice option
I use the electric light and grumble a lot as I fantasize about eventually being able to afford a drafty old dump of a house to haunt--er, live in.

If the candle had a little house (lol) for it would.you consider it safe to leave the room with it on?
Like a small lantern? Yes for a brief time.

I have a small brass candlestick that looks like a saucer with a small handle and it helps for moving the light from room to room in the dark.

One night I fell asleep without putting out the lights and nearly burned up the dresser as the candles got low and charred the wooden candleholders. That was a really bad idea. I think I should put brass ones on.

I'm in a bar/cafe and it has those fashionable.naked light bulbs. Each one is like pushing needles in my eyes

Yes lantern that's the word. I got some and then did nothing with them. It's spring so good time to use them.

My grandmother thinks I'm kidding that I call her searingly-white and sterile and bright kitchen spots "the kys light". If ever I go in that room, I have to turn it off and use the side counter or oven light. Otherwise, my brain itches, my jaw tightens and my nerves start firing.

My grandmother thinks I'm kidding that I call her searingly-white and sterile and bright kitchen spots "the kys light". If ever I go in that room, I have to turn it off and use the side counter or oven light. Otherwise, my brain itches, my jaw tightens and my nerves start firing.
I have 9 KYS spotlights in my kitchen I can't change them I don't know how to unscrew

Normally not. But when I feel nauseated anyway then I can't look at my phone screen because it makes the nausea worse. It was always like that, I never thought much of it.

Does anyone get sick from artificial lights? The glare makes.me dizzy, irritable and sick. It feeds into addictive behaviours which soothe the discomfort.

Even low wattage is bad.

Yes, I feel very sick in the stomach, like I'm going to throw up. Also headaches and very dry eyes. The pain definitely contributes to irritation, as you say. LED is the worst.

New Threads

Top Bottom