• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

Yep, I cotton to that like a pig to mud.

I didn't grow up around talk like that. I just think it's fun. I love to sit in a technical meeting and someone asks if something is feasible, and I say, "I might could do that." It lightens the tone of the meeting.
Actually, I often say a lot of phrases with a West Virginia twang to them.
When I was younger, I lived in the City of Pittsburgh for a while, but never adopted Pittsburghese.

The phrase ”with that being said...”
Yep, you just said something, oh so profound apparently, and i can remember what you said 5 seconds ago, so now you have just wasted time saying the obvious.

Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses keep asking me if I've heard of Jesus.

I think it's a figure of speech because I cannot believe they seriously think anyone on the Western hemisphere (in itself an annoying figure of speech) has failed to hear about Jesus.

"No, I have never heard of Jesus, because I have just come out of a lifelong coma and only learned how to speak and walk yesterday." That's what I would say to them if I had the guts to do it.:smilingimp:

Or even better, if someone asked if I'd found found Jesus, I'd answer, "Not yet, we're playing hide-and-seek right now and I'm 'it'."

Mine that I hate is
"Nomsayn!?!?!"
Translates to "Do you know what I am saying?"
YES I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING I JUST HEARD YOU!!!!
ARRRRGGGGHHHH

I suspect a lot of these are not true 'figures of speech'. They are sayings, common word usage or slang, etc.

Definition of figure of speech
: a form of expression (such as a simile or metaphor) used to convey meaning or heighten effect often by comparing or identifying one thing with another that has a meaning or connotation familiar to the reader or listener.

A figure of speech is a word or phrase that has a meaning other than the literal meaning.

So Ok, I've done my yearly duty protecting the English language.

I hate conversations that begin with, “Just so you know...
“. Because the rest of the sentence will never be good!

One I use quite a lot, which some people might find confusing would be "about as much use as a Chocolate teapot!".

Well a teapot made of Chocolate wouldn't really be that useful would it? :D

"Back in the day"

Pre-Internet things were kind of better IMO, the only place you got bullied was in the school Playground for a start.

Nowadays bullying is rife on most forums, and I know you won't thank me for saying this but in most cases the Mods on forums are powerless to do anything about intense bullying, because even if the bully gets hit with the banning stick, he still comes back under an alias, everybody knows it's him from the posting style, but can't prove it.

Ive used back in the day before, it doesnt really make sense does it? It kinda works though when you’re talking to someone your same age with similar experiences.
Some sayings i like are, Rings true and Doesnt pass the smell test. They are descriptive i think.

"That's your opinion".

(To paraphrase from American Buffalo): Well yes, that's whose opinion it normally is when I'm the one speaking.

In other words, of course it's my opinion. Who else's opinion would it be?

Lol, yea, thanks for reminding me it was my opinion when i said it a moment ago.....

Pre-Internet things were kind of better IMO, the only place you got bullied was in the school Playground for a start.

Nowadays bullying is rife on most forums, and I know you won't thank me for saying this but in most cases the Mods on forums are powerless to do anything about intense bullying, because even if the bully gets hit with the banning stick, he still comes back under an alias, everybody knows it's him from the posting style, but can't prove it.

I wouldn't be so sure of people slipping under the radar here if I were you.

We have some pretty trick tools at our disposal and a close watchful eye on what goes on, as you should already well know.

We have had the displeasure of removing a few unsavory members that have tried, but they are no longer here because like you said, they cannot break character and generally out themselves.

Often times, members feel we are either too harsh, or sit on our hands when it comes to dealing with imbalances. There are tons of behind the scenes details that are handled in the background every single day without being shared with the membership.
Sometimes they are first in/first out, while other times they are handled in order of most importance.
This isn't a slipshod operation by any means, and it requires a good deal of our personal time to make that happens for you, the members who come here daily.

We have to read over each new post to see if they are within the guidelines set in the very rules each of you agreed to when you signed on here.

There are the reports that need handled each time they come in, which require even more reading before staff decisions can be made. Often times we read subject matter that we totally don't agree with or even have the slightest interest in, but it is a part of the job we signed on for.

Another part of our duties here is to never share the outcomes of how or what direction decisions were made, so that none of you can form opinions based on what you perceive could or should happen to other members.

In the future, please be assured that the staff here is diligent in keeping order and I'm personally proud of how they handle the day to day chores on a volunteer basis.

Its good to know people are watching out for us, I think Aspies can be vulnerable because we tend to be more open and trusting. That’s just my opinion of course.

"It is what it is."

Yeah, it sure as hell is, what a sage observation. Question is, what are we going to do about it?

(Disclaimer: the following is merely a response to the OP, and not meant to cast aspersions on any recent post or poster):

"I'm sorry you feel that way."

I hate this one. In my experience, this is the intellectually dishonest way of saying "I really couldn't possibly care less that you feel that way".

Last edited:
"The good always die young"
That's what I heard adults say after someone at my school died in a traffic accident when I was young. So If I'm a good person I'll just end up suffering a premature death? If I live long does that mean I'm a bad person? A lot of really evil people seem to usually live long.:emojiconfused:

Actually…

"The only thing to fear is fear itself."

Don't go explaining it to me, I know it means "avoid being fearful". But the way it's phrased, however artful, makes it sound like an infinite loop.

Eek! Fear! RUN!

For the record, I am terrified of infinite loops.

New Threads

Top Bottom