• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some phones have such bad quality when you call them

Misty Avich

I'm just angry
V.I.P Member
Okay, how to explain this...

When I talk to my aunt via phonecall, the sound quality seems bad. Whenever I say something, I can hear like an echo of what I just said, and it's really annoying because then I can't hear what my aunt is saying and then it looks like I'm interrupting.

I know she has her phone on speaker a lot of the time, which doesn't help the poor sound quality, but my other aunt always has her phone on speaker and I don't get all that echo or distortion when I'm on the phone to her. It's clear as a bell.

It's been sounding like this (poor quality) ever since my aunt got a phone upgrade, but my phone is upgraded too, so neither of us are using outdated phones.

Does anyone know what could be causing that irritating echo? I tried Googling it but because I don't quite know how to explain it, it isn't giving me relevant answers.

Edit: We only chat on the phone when she's at home, and she lives on her own.

Last edited:
When I talk to my aunt via phonecall, the sound quality seems bad. Whenever I say something, I can hear like an echo of what I just said,

This happens to me every time I call the US. It's really annoying.

Last edited:
It's been sounding like this (poor quality) ever since my aunt got a phone upgrade, but my phone is upgraded too, so neither of us are using outdated phones.

Does anyone know what could be causing that irritating echo?

Some possibilities to consider:

1) Inadequate bandwidth? Check to see if your Internet connection speed is fast and consistent : Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

2) Either of you or both may be using your cellphone from a "cold spot" rather than a "hot spot" offering (optimal broadcast ability versus a spotty/interrupted signal). Download a wireless analyzer app that measures wireless capability and can determine where hot spots are in your home. Then consider below:

3) Electromagnetic interference: Multiple wireless devices nearby can cause an overlap or interruption of electromagnetic currents. Either or both of you may experience this.

4) Network congestion and/or route changes. Pick a less common time of day or night to call. Data packet failure, more commonly known as "jitter".

5) Echoes often happen because of random speaker reverb from your aunt's speakerphone itself. In this instance, beware of the term "upgrade". It doesn't always translate into "better".

I don't know, I just call her on my phone but yes the WiFi is switched on but it's always switched on even when I make other phone calls to other people and I don't get any annoying echo feedback there, just with my aunt. She can hear me perfectly without any echo feedback at all, but all the weird noises and distortion seems to be her end (even though she can't hear it herself).

I don't know, I just call her on my phone but yes the WiFi is switched on but it's always switched on even when I make other phone calls to other people and I don't get any annoying echo feedback there, just with my aunt. She can hear me perfectly without any echo feedback at all, but all the weird noises and distortion seems to be her end (even though she can't hear it herself).

Odds are her "upgrade" isn't as great as she may assume. Plus there may be all kinds of objects or devices in her home that are degrading her connection with you.

My brother always uses a headset for his cellphone and it often turns his audio into rubbish.

My aunt has her's on loud speaker and lot of the time, but then so does my other aunt and I can always hear her clearly. I don't have mine on loud speaker ever because of the poor quality it can give.

I had a problem before where callers could hardly hear me. My 4G signal in my flat ain't great. Most of the time, I have to use my hotspot to share my connection on external devices. But it's fine to do so, since I pay for unlimited data and receive no restrictions there.

It can be a chore using the phone with my SIM in it, so using a second phone is ideal for improving the speed.

Sometimes my aunt can hear a strange voice when talking to me on the phone, but I can't hear it at my end. It happened today. We both had the creeps, as we wondered if someone is listening in on us. It is rather unsettling that we don't have privacy any more in this life.

New Threads

Top Bottom