• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

"You know". I hear people saying that 2 or 3 times in 1 sentence.

When Stephen fry first started writing (his book, the paperweight had his early articles ) he studied English and a lot of his articles were about how many times you could write 'and' in a sentence in a row so that it still made sense.
Stuff like that.

His other was was fan -tmesis- tastic - a tmesis - a word put inside another word to exagerrated the effect of it.

And add people who say "like" all the time, remember Shaggy on Scooby Doo? He did it all the time.

I admit I used to do it when I was about 14, but thankfully I grew up.

Yeah "like" is one, "umm" repeatedly is another. Almost any word that's repeated frequently as a way to stall talking while someone thinks. Better to say "let me think about that for a moment".

Not sure if this counts, but I can't stand when people ask "what are you doing?" when they can plainly see what I'm doing. I'm flipping lobster burgers for the king of Spain, what's it look like I'm doing? Try a less-stupid conversation starter next time.

Not sure if this counts, but I can't stand when people ask "what are you doing?" when they can plainly see what I'm doing. I'm flipping lobster burgers for the king of Spain, what's it look like I'm doing? Try a less-stupid conversation starter next time.

That's a great answer- I'm going to remember that one, LOL!

"You know what I mean?"...also comes in "nah meen?", "know what I'm saying?". Yeah, maybe after a joint or two, a couple of pills and a swig of something strong I might get the gist of it; otherwise, not really.

Everything's just about been covered in this thread, so really can't think of much right now...

And add people who say "like" all the time, remember Shaggy on Scooby Doo? He did it all the time.

I admit I used to do it when I was about 14, but thankfully I grew up.

I wish I could eradicate 'like' from my vocabulary. I very concientiously avoid slang, but I often catch myself still using 'like', 30 years after it went out of style.

I wish I could eradicate 'like' from my vocabulary. I very concientiously avoid slang, but I often catch myself still using 'like', 30 years after it went out of style.

Like seriously,what's up with that?

Can you see what I did there? Not.

As above.

Even such is time,which takes in trust, our youth our joys and all we say,
When we find ourselves bereft,it pays us back in a different way.
As we gain more years,the more lies forgot
All wisdom lost, Our last breaths filled with 'likes' and Waynes world ''not'

Even such is time,which takes in trust, our youth our joys and all we say,
When we find ourselves bereft,it pays us back in a different way.
As we gain more years,the more lies forgot
All wisdom lost, Our last breaths filled with 'likes' and Waynes world ''not'

That is pure awesomeness. I'd like to think that Sir Walter Raleigh would approve.

Right back at ya:

For Those Who Can't Stop Saying "Like"

The habits learned while in our youth,
like dandelions sown,
Persist, no matter how uncouth,
Long after we are grown.

Such customs, though we take great pain,
To cut them where they grow,
Like roots of dandelions, remain,
Just like "like." Like, y'know?

Last edited:
Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses keep asking me if I've heard of Jesus.

I think it's a figure of speech because I cannot believe they seriously think anyone on the Western hemisphere (in itself an annoying figure of speech) has failed to hear about Jesus.

I have a hard time trusting people who don't, or refuse, to use swear words. There is something refreshingly honest about someone not afraid to express how they really feel, even if it means using a four-letter vocabular.

I have a hard time trusting people who don't, or refuse, to use swear words. There is something refreshingly honest about someone not afraid to express how they really feel, even if it means using a four-letter vocabular.

I'm exactly the opposite. If hear a four-letter word, regardless of context, I involuntarily picture the most literal interpretation of that word. I can put it out of my mind for a while, but as I try to go to sleep that night, everything that was shocking, disturbing, or offensive immediately comes to mind and demands to be reviewed and rehashed. The more tired I am, the more I'm powerless to prevent it.

I am very careful about what movies and TV shows I watch, what books I read, what news articles I click on online. TV shows that are not necessarily "violent" by the standards of today's society will set me off if there is too much contention or hatred between characters. Before putting anything in my head, I have to ask, "Am I okay with seeing this over and over when I try to go to sleep tonight?" If the answer is no, I don't go there.

Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses keep asking me if I've heard of Jesus.

I think it's a figure of speech because I cannot believe they seriously think anyone on the Western hemisphere (in itself an annoying figure of speech) has failed to hear about Jesus.

Saw this one years ago, but I still find it hilarious:

FoundJesus.jpg

People trying to sound deep and intelligent by quoting this one overly used socrates quote:
"All i know is that i know nothing"

It shows that they haven't searched long enough (if it all) for the answers they seek. It's a cop out for lazy people. It's also a social conformity tool. As this is what most laymen with below average to average intelligence quote. It's something that will get likes and validation from others who don't have a mind of their own.

It shows their mind is a tool filled with garbage from social media as this is the one most prevalent pieces of garbage pushed and reshared. Which quotes a person shares displays how well read they are, if at all. (Are they finding and reading books on their own? coming to their own conclusions and extracting their own useful bits from the pages or just resharing popular garbage that lesser minds agree with?)

If used in an argument and one claims to know -anything- these fools fall back on this quote smugly by claiming intellect while acknowledging themselves as being completely ignorant.
"Many foods are made out of dough."
"But, what if dough isn't dough man..."
"Really?"
"Social media told me the wisest man in the world is an ignorant fool so by proxy I'm wise for being an ignorant fool"

It's ****ing stupid.

I'm just going to start responding by saying "You're so right. YOU don't know anything. Pick up a book sometime and change that".

Last edited:
Over-use of the expression 'kind of'. Example: "I've kind of finished." How can you be 'kind of finished'? Either you have finished, or you haven't!

"You know what I mean?"...also comes in "nah meen?", "know what I'm saying?". Yeah, maybe after a joint or two, a couple of pills and a swig of something strong I might get the gist of it; otherwise, not really.

Everything's just about been covered in this thread, so really can't think of much right now...

That's one reason I stopped watching Eastenders years ago, I despise the Cockney accent.

What annoys me about the Cockneys as well is that most of that lot think anything North of the Watford Gap is on another Planet, and they think Northerners talk funny,

New Threads

Top Bottom