• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Feel Like An Alien?

No, because there is no way to measure evolution to where you can say, "Aha! This person is more evolved than that person."

I think the mistake is in letting neurotypicals define "human", because they will automatically define it as themselves. So would we if we were given a nice ambiguous word and told to come up with a definition for it. Still, a word that designates an entire species? It should have a definition that includes every member of the species, even when used figuratively.

No, because there is no way to measure evolution to where you can say, "Aha! This person is more evolved than that person."

Heh-heh ... in any event I'm an evolutionary dead end. If a new "race" were to model themselves on me, they'd be extinct within a generation.

I have no interest in courtship let alone dating. I have no interest in procreation and the only little ones I have in my home are my cats; Bob (so named because he has a bob-tail), Scraps, and Princess Tabitha Panda Kitty Toe Biter which is admittedly a very big name for a very small cat.

Attachments

• Caption.18.jpg
    Caption.18.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 298
If a new "race" were to model themselves on me, they'd be extinct within a generation.

I love this idea so I'll run with it! If I had my own planet where everybody thought like me it would be a pretty peaceful place with no aggression. People would sometimes fall out then just get over it and pretend that nothing happened after about 10 minutes. Everybody would be a vegetarian. People would forget each others names two minutes after being introduced but would eventually remember it.

Work places would be highly productive because everybody would just crack on until they were finished. Multi-tasking wouldn't exist. Everybody would be paid the same.

Marraige contracts would last 5 years and need to be renewed or they would expire. This would remove any need for divorce. There would be no lawyers, solicitors or judges.

A planet without status, class, inflation, debt, TV, religion, advertising or prisons. No need.
There would be sport but it would be truly awful although the music would be cracking and there would be live bands in every pub.

The planets flag would be a picture of a cat and in the shape of a jigsaw. The national anthem would be something by Bjork.

We can all dream! :)

Indeed! Mankind has long dreamed of a utopian society. I like the idea of a highly productive world with no aggression but question the efficacy of a society where everyone is paid the same and there are no class distinctions. We are after all still human and being human, we would still compare ourselves to one another. Even in an aspie culture, someone must lead whilst others follow and if you accept this as a valid premise, then it seems to me that you would then have to accept the existence of at least two distinct classes ... and probably more since leadership tends to be hierarchal in nature.

I would also suggest that some degree of meritocracy would be in order. Humans are naturally competitive and knowing that promotions, bonuses, and public acclaim could accrue on the basis of accomplishments would encourage the members of this utopian society to work well as opposed to simply working hard.

Netflix for example, does not care how many hours a given employee spends at work. They are a production oriented company and care more about the quality of individual work products than how many hours were actually spent to complete the task at hand. Employees who perform well are among the highest paid employees of that particular industry. Employees who cannot perform to expectations are summarily fired.

I would submit for your consideration that although Aspies tend to be project oriented, some will always be better than others. While all citizens of this society would be respected and appreciated, shouldn't the best performing workers receive more benefits?

It's just a thought.

Should everyone work? I think my me-planet would be a funny mix of Buckminister Fullers philosophy and Plato's republic.

I tried to explain this feeling to my very normal boyfriend last night. He didn't get it.

Do you tend to feel like you are outside of the human species? As if you do not quite understand how they communicate, how they chitter-chatter and laugh constantly and have no hesitancy about going out and doing menial things?
It's kind of a feeling like everyone is in a bubble and you're on the outside of it, looking in at them, observing, not quite able to fit into humanity.

I've felt like this for as long as I can remember.
It's rather isolating.

Is this an Aspergers/Autistic type of thing? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Yes, I feel very much like an alien, since among other things I do not enjoy conventional notions
of "small talk", and I might not laugh when it might come naturally to normative members of
our population. To be honest I do not enjoy going out in public and I do not enjoy meeting
others more generally. But the "alien" picture I believe is on target if applied to me.

Yes...I don't understand other people's actions; I don't get why they do what they do when it makes no sense. But then I'm treated like the weird one when I follow logic instead of...whatever it is they follow. I feel like I'm the only person who asks "why?" Why do you round the number when telling someone what time it is? Why do you kill insects that aren't bothering you? Why do you engage in those stupid "who can be nicer" arguments (e.g. "Take this money!" "Oh no, I couldn't." "Yes, I want you to have it!")? I don't get it...where are my people? I want to be with those like me.

This link is coming up blank on my tablet.
Thank you for letting me know DC1346. I've just clicked it on and it's come up blank on my PC! Here it is again, copied and pasted:
http://catherineobrienashs.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-book-on-asperger-syndrome.html
Alternatively here is the blog address and you could just click on the Page headed "My book on Asperger Syndrome":
http://catherineobrienashs.blogspot.co.uk/
And if those both fail, here is another route:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/catherine-...hybrid-selves/paperback/product-22128827.html
Thanks!

Last edited:
Assume that the majority of people were autistic.
There'd now be the minority, the neurotypicals who'd have difficulty.
Our positions reversed. I try to rationalize that we're no different, but different in quantity.
I've always felt different. But that is logical, as I am the minority. And that gives me an unique perspective on things. Seeing only the expected, he is not influenced as much as one seeing the unexpected. It has negatives and positives, like everything else. It is to cope by knowing that one is different, that creates a feeling of uniqueness. But I am not unique. It's just the sensation. We're CPUs reading memory. One is Intel another is Motorola. It's just to define our protocols for communication. That is, if we get past our trauma to begin anew, fully developed in brain and logic to defy any incoming damage.

Thank you for letting me know DC1346. I've just clicked it on and it's come up blank on my PC! Here it is again, copied and pasted:
http://catherineobrienashs.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-book-on-asperger-syndrome.html

So I flipped through the 13 page preview but don't see the connection between Asperger's and Dr. Michael Newton's work on past life regression because this information was included as the last chapter of your book and was therefore not available for preview.

I noted in your table of contents that Chapter 10 had the rather disturbing title: "Are Asperger's Individuals Empathy-Deficient Psychopaths." Oxford Dictionary defines the term "psychopath" as "a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior." If this definition is correct (and it must be since it Oxford printed it), it follows that Asperger's CANNOT be a mental illness. The APA's Diagnostic manual states that Asperger's "cannot be caused by trauma or neglect and it cannot be cured with therapy or a change in lifestyle or attitude. Current research suggests it is not even the result of brain damage and is in fact, at least in part, genetic." In short, Asperger's is NOT a mental disorder.

To my knowledge there is also no link between violence and high functioning autism. Woodbury-Smith (2006) compared the rates of offending in 25 people with ASD matched to a sample from the general population. They found no increased risk for violence. A concurrent study conducted by Stål (2006), looked at 11 studies involving 22 patients and 29 violent incidents. He found that the type of violence committed by people with ASD was far less calculated and destructive than psychopathic violence.

I would further point out that psychopaths lack the capacity for empathy. People with Asperger's have empathy but often lack the ability to communicate this due to our problems with social awkwardness.

Without having read chapter 10 of your book, I must respectfully disagree with the question stated in the chapter's title i.e. Are Asperger's Individuals Empathy-Deficient Psychopaths." The answer to that would not only be no, it would be a resounding HELL NO! People with Asperger's are NOT empathy deficient psychopaths.

I found the title of your book, " Asperger Syndrome, Hybrid Souls and Hybrid Selves" to be intriguing ... but after looking through the table of contents and reading the preview, I regret that I do not find your work to be sufficiently interesting to want to purchase it.

I do hope that chapter 10 did not conclude that there was ANY LINK between Asperger's and psychopathic behavior. There is already a great deal of erroneous information out there and those of us who are Aspies do not need public opinion turned against us for fear that we might become violent and dangerous.

So I flipped through the 13 page preview but don't see the connection between Asperger's and Dr. Michael Newton's work on past life regression because this information was included as the last chapter of your book and was therefore not available for preview.

I noted in your table of contents that Chapter 10 had the rather disturbing title: "Are Asperger's Individuals Empathy-Deficient Psychopaths." Oxford Dictionary defines the term "psychopath" as "a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior." If this definition is correct (and it must be since it Oxford printed it), it follows that Asperger's CANNOT be a mental illness. The APA's Diagnostic manual states that Asperger's "cannot be caused by trauma or neglect and it cannot be cured with therapy or a change in lifestyle or attitude. Current research suggests it is not even the result of brain damage and is in fact, at least in part, genetic." In short, Asperger's is NOT a mental disorder.

To my knowledge there is also no link between violence and high functioning autism. Woodbury-Smith (2006) compared the rates of offending in 25 people with ASD matched to a sample from the general population. They found no increased risk for violence. A concurrent study conducted by Stål (2006), looked at 11 studies involving 22 patients and 29 violent incidents. He found that the type of violence committed by people with ASD was far less calculated and destructive than psychopathic violence.

I would further point out that psychopaths lack the capacity for empathy. People with Asperger's have empathy but often lack the ability to communicate this due to our problems with social awkwardness.

Without having read chapter 10 of your book, I must respectfully disagree with the question stated in the chapter's title i.e. Are Asperger's Individuals Empathy-Deficient Psychopaths." The answer to that would not only be no, it would be a resounding HELL NO! People with Asperger's are NOT empathy deficient psychopaths.

I found the title of your book, " Asperger Syndrome, Hybrid Souls and Hybrid Selves" to be intriguing ... but after looking through the table of contents and reading the preview, I regret that I do not find your work to be sufficiently interesting to want to purchase it.

I do hope that chapter 10 did not conclude that there was ANY LINK between Asperger's and psychopathic behavior. There is already a great deal of erroneous information out there and those of us who are Aspies do not need public opinion turned against us for fear that we might become violent and dangerous.

Thank you for taking the trouble to look up my book and write about it here.

I agree with you about ASD and psychopathy not being related. My choice of title for Chapter 10 'Are Asperger individuals empathy-deficient psychopaths?' is precisely to debunk the conflation in many people's minds between Aspergers and psychopathy. Here are some examples in the media:

* On 14 December 2012, 20-year-old Adam Lanza fatally shot twenty children and six adult staff members in a mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Connecticut, USA. Lanza was suspected of being an Asperger. Many Aspergers came out, up in arms, to say what an insult this was to mild-mannered, anti-aggressive Asperger individuals.

* On 24 March 2015, an airline pilot Andreas Lubitz deliberately crashed his plane into the Alps, killing 150 passengers and crew. Lubitz was described in the media as a loner, an Asperger, and ‘the Adam Lanza of air travel’ .

* In 1999, four women were murdered near the Yosemite National Park, California, by Cary Stayner who was sentenced to death for the murders and remains on death row. Forensic psychologist Dr Katherine Ramsland claims that serial killer Cary Stayner was diagnosed as having a high-functioning autism, “which probably was Asperger’s disorder”. “You would have difficulty reading them,” she says , “because they don’t have the same depth of emotion or bonding – social bonding – or ability to interact with other people, even reading other people’s emotions.”

These anecdotes show how prepared people are to conflate Asperger Syndrome with having mental problems or being somehow disabled or diseased.

I critique Dr Katherine Ramslands' stereotyped view particularly, by arguing that she has obviously never heard of people on the autistic spectrum who feel so much that they come across as too intense socially. She has obviously not come across people who try desperately to show their usefulness and worth to others but are rebuffed because they don’t exude the many subtle cues of neurotypical belonging.

> "In short, Asperger's is NOT a mental disorder."
I agree, and have addressed this in Chp 15 'Prejudice against Asperger's reflected in labels'.

Also, my arguments about the links between Asperger Syndrome and hybrid souls are presented in Chp 5. I could not open the book with this chapter as I had to put many premises in place first, and build up to it. I would have made it Chp 1 if I could have, as it was my very first blog post on this topic, but some readers might need more context to make sense of it, as admittedly it's not the most orthodox idea! That said, I also think that each chapter can be read as a stand-alone topic - just one facet of the many debates surrounding neurotypicality and neurodiversity.

Many books on AS and ASD are first-person accounts. I wanted to do something different by using a neutral, 'third-person' tone in this book (referring to both Aspergers and NTs as "they" and "them") in order to be as objective and balanced as possible. My aim is to neither demonise/ pathologise Aspergers, nor to idealise/ romanticise. I wonder if you perhaps mistook this 'detached' style of writing for my actual arguments, examples and messages?

Thanks again for your review. It's good to know about those studies that you cite, and I'm glad you found my title intriguing ('Asperger Syndrome, Hybrid Souls and Hybrid Selves') - it's certainly kept me engaged almost solidly for the past 3 years or so!

Last edited:
I love this idea so I'll run with it! If I had my own planet where everybody thought like me it would be a pretty peaceful place with no aggression. People would sometimes fall out then just get over it and pretend that nothing happened after about 10 minutes. Everybody would be a vegetarian. People would forget each others names two minutes after being introduced but would eventually remember it.

Work places would be highly productive because everybody would just crack on until they were finished. Multi-tasking wouldn't exist. Everybody would be paid the same.

Marraige contracts would last 5 years and need to be renewed or they would expire. This would remove any need for divorce. There would be no lawyers, solicitors or judges.

A planet without status, class, inflation, debt, TV, religion, advertising or prisons. No need.
There would be sport but it would be truly awful although the music would be cracking and there would be live bands in every pub.

The planets flag would be a picture of a cat and in the shape of a jigsaw. The national anthem would be something by Bjork.

That sounds like a pretty cool place, but I could not live there. I need to have my meat.

Thank you for taking the trouble to look up my book and write about it here.

I agree with you about ASD and psychopathy not being related. My choice of title for Chapter 10 'Are Asperger individuals empathy-deficient psychopaths?' is precisely to debunk the conflation in many people's minds between Aspergers and psychopathy. Here are some examples in the media:

* On 14 December 2012, 20-year-old Adam Lanza fatally shot twenty children and six adult staff members in a mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Connecticut, USA. Lanza was suspected of being an Asperger. Many Aspergers came out, up in arms, to say what an insult this was to mild-mannered, anti-aggressive Asperger individuals.

* On 24 March 2015, an airline pilot Andreas Lubitz deliberately crashed his plane into the Alps, killing 150 passengers and crew. Lubitz was described in the media as a loner, an Asperger, and ‘the Adam Lanza of air travel’ .

* In 1999, four women were murdered near the Yosemite National Park, California, by Cary Stayner who was sentenced to death for the murders and remains on death row. Forensic psychologist Dr Katherine Ramsland claims that serial killer Cary Stayner was diagnosed as having a high-functioning autism, “which probably was Asperger’s disorder”. “You would have difficulty reading them,” she says , “because they don’t have the same depth of emotion or bonding – social bonding – or ability to interact with other people, even reading other people’s emotions.”

These anecdotes show how prepared people are to conflate Asperger Syndrome with having mental problems or being somehow disabled or diseased.

You raise an interesting point.

Some journalists have clearly not done their due diligence in writing their stories.

If you look hard enough you will find that people from all walks of life are capable of committing heinous acts that would be atypical for that group when taken as a whole.

Adolf Hitler for example, was a vegetarian. Should all German vegetarians have been condemned because of Hitler's role in the Holocaust?

Ted Bundy, a serial rapist and murderer, was once a university student. Should all white male university students have been considered as possible rapists and murderers?

I question those journalists who have chosen to make Asperger's an issue in criminal behavior. They could just as easily have attributed criminal motive to eye color, whether the perpetrator was left handed or right handed, or what they ate (or didn't eat) for breakfast.

No. I think it would feel more squishy-like if I was an alien. Or I would be taller. All aliens are a good 8 feet. Or was it they have 8 good feet?

;)

New Threads

Top Bottom