• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Feel Like An Alien?

:) Beep beep! :)
That is a strange choice of words: a fraud is someone who knowingly deceives others. We Aspies do not do that, we have to protect ourselves from the fraudulent ones out there who would in a heartbeat destroy us if they knew who we are.

Fraud means someone that does no good, that means no good.

Aspies will often go along with others out of fear, because they think once they are "discovered" then everyone will see them as weirdos.

As I have grown older it is clear that I do not give a hoot about descriptive phrases or words that box people in, that somehow label them, that place them into a neat system of uninformed people.

I will never ever share my true capabilities with assholes, whoops, I know them are strong words, haha. Just sooo glad I can talk to intelligent people in this group and do not have to rely on the a holes.

Yes. It's like coming to another planet and trying to speak their language without any prior learning.

Rather than me feeling like an alien, I feel as though those around me are the ones who don't belong. They go about their business engaging in small talk and displaying a compressed set of emotional responses. Their concerns seem shallow and their interests dull and routine. They engage in friendships and alliances based on social patterns that seem natural to them but foreign to me. They follow arbitrary rules of conduct and seem to accept things as they are rather than seeing what they might be.

At work, I do my best to imitate their behavior, but it never feels quite right — to either me or, apparently, to them. I manage to mostly blend in, but I have to constantly monitor my acting to stay in character. Every now and again, I get too comfortable and allow myself to be myself, but it soon becomes apparent that I've said the wrong thing or acted in ways that make those around me uncomfortable.

It's as though I live my life on a scale from one through ten, while those around me live their lives somewhere between three and seven. To fit in, I've learned to compress my own interests, behaviors and conversations to the acceptable set ranges, but it gets tiresome, frustrating and, honestly, a bit lonely in that I can rarely be myself around others.

That is a strange choice of words: a fraud is someone who knowingly deceives others. We Aspies do not do that, we have to protect ourselves from the fraudulent ones out there who would in a heartbeat destroy us if they knew who we are.

Fraud means someone that does no good, that means no good.

Aspies will often go along with others out of fear, because they think once they are "discovered" then everyone will see them as weirdos.

As I have grown older it is clear that I do not give a hoot about descriptive phrases or words that box people in, that somehow label them, that place them into a neat system of uninformed people.

I will never ever share my true capabilities with assholes, whoops, I know them are strong words, haha. Just sooo glad I can talk to intelligent people in this group and do not have to rely on the a holes.

:) Beep Beep!! :)

This is an apt description of how I feel. But with me, it's sort of a hot/cold thing. Some days I feel like I fit into the human race, but then other days, I have a severe social anxiety, like I'm an android or something. I know that even many NT people feel like they don't fit in, so I try not to feel sorry for myself when I feel this way, but I just have a hunch that it happens to aspies at a higher rate, with a maybe more penetrating effect.

Rather than me feeling like an alien, I feel as though those around me are the ones who don't belong. They go about their business engaging in small talk and displaying a compressed set of emotional responses. Their concerns seem shallow and their interests dull and routine. They engage in friendships and alliances based on social patterns that seem natural to them but foreign to me. They follow arbitrary rules of conduct and seem to accept things as they are rather than seeing what they might be.

At work, I do my best to imitate their behavior, but it never feels quite right — to either me or, apparently, to them. I manage to mostly blend in, but I have to constantly monitor my acting to stay in character. Every now and again, I get too comfortable and allow myself to be myself, but it soon becomes apparent that I've said the wrong thing or acted in ways that make those around me uncomfortable.

It's as though I live my life on a scale from one through ten, while those around me live their lives somewhere between three and seven. To fit in, I've learned to compress my own interests, behaviors and conversations to the acceptable set ranges, but it gets tiresome, frustrating and, honestly, a bit lonely in that I can rarely be myself around others.

I am always sure that there is a way around such troubles. I do not see any understanding from people, or even an attempt from most people in this country to understand what another person is going through.

If a person does not have autism then that person will never understand what someone with autism goes through.

I have so many people like that and when they do not understand it they try to make me look like I don't know what I am doing. I am convinced it may be a way of attempting for them to explain a condition in different terms, and what is easier than just categorizing someone with that disorder as an impaired person?

Here's a ****** thing I had to live through...

One that I'm still pissed off about... and I feel right in being angry. This was VERY rude!

My boyfriend and I, and our friends are at dinner. Samurai Noodle. Good place to go if you like ramen and are in Seattle. There is a collum on the menu where you can choose different types of noodles.
My neurotypical boyfriend and one of our other friends was especially stupid as hell this particular night.
I asked a simple question, (thinking any lab monkey would be able to understand this) "What are the noodles like?" Meaning: Tell me the difference of each noodle. I had already read them as options on the menu.
"They are on the menu" They say to me.
"I know, but I'm asking what are they like."
"You either get blahblah, blah or blahblahblah."
"Ok, again, I get this. But what are they like.
Now my boyfriend is getting mad at me because he is stupid.
"Pick up the menu, turn the page and there they are in the collum!"
What pissed me off was how mad he got at me FOR SEEMINGLY NOTHING, and then because he was angry, he insulted me in front of our friends. I think even for a "normal person" this is just a ****** way to talk to someone you supposedly love in this way because YOURE mad that you didn't understand ME.
I don't remember exactly what I said. Somehting along the lines of "**** you then, I'm asking google."
Then he gets even more huffy....
Eventually I pulled him to the side and told him to stop acting like a goddamn child and to stop being a ***** to me in front of people because he was embarrassing and should be embarassed by his own actions and not my innocent misunderstanding.

Please explain to me exactly how that was irrational of me.

This was a couple months ago, but even so this makes me mad even now as I'm typing. It was so unnecessary for him to treat me that way. I didn't know I had autism spectrum disorder at this time, but that is STILL no excuse to treat anyone like that.

Just remember that even though we may not "live in there world", we still don't deserve any mistreatment. We are humans before we are anything else, and you as a human, don't have to take this kinda **** from any person, neurotypical or not.

He gets offended by the word "NEUROTYPICAL" I'm getting to the point where I want to be single. I am not obligated to deal with this kind of bull sh1t. Nuff said.

QUOTE="syst3mcas3, post: 126748, member: 10978"]Here's a ****** thing I had to live through...

One that I'm still pissed off about... and I feel right in being angry. This was VERY rude!

My boyfriend and I, and our friends are at dinner. Samurai Noodle. Good place to go if you like ramen and are in Seattle. There is a collum on the menu where you can choose different types of noodles.
My neurotypical boyfriend and one of our other friends was especially stupid as hell this particular night.
I asked a simple question, (thinking any lab monkey would be able to understand this) "What are the noodles like?" Meaning: Tell me the difference of each noodle. I had already read them as options on the menu.
"They are on the menu" They say to me.
"I know, but I'm asking what are they like."
"You either get blahblah, blah or blahblahblah."
"Ok, again, I get this. But what are they like.
Now my boyfriend is getting mad at me because he is stupid.
"Pick up the menu, turn the page and there they are in the collum!"
What pissed me off was how mad he got at me FOR SEEMINGLY NOTHING, and then because he was angry, he insulted me in front of our friends. I think even for a "normal person" this is just a ****** way to talk to someone you supposedly love in this way because YOURE mad that you didn't understand ME.
I don't remember exactly what I said. Somehting along the lines of "**** you then, I'm asking google."
Then he gets even more huffy....
Eventually I pulled him to the side and told him to stop acting like a goddamn child and to stop being a ***** to me in front of people because he was embarrassing and should be embarassed by his own actions and not my innocent misunderstanding.

Please explain to me exactly how that was irrational of me.

This was a couple months ago, but even so this makes me mad even now as I'm typing. It was so unnecessary for him to treat me that way. I didn't know I had autism spectrum disorder at this time, but that is STILL no excuse to treat anyone like that.

Just remember that even though we may not "live in there world", we still don't deserve any mistreatment. We are humans before we are anything else, and you as a human, don't have to take this kinda **** from any person, neurotypical or not.

He gets offended by the word "NEUROTYPICAL" I'm getting to the point where I want to be single. I am not obligated to deal with this kind of bull sh1t. Nuff said.[/QUOTE]
That sounds like it was awful! I hate it when one asks a simple enough question, and it gets treated like it was meant to entertain. Your boyfriend sounds like he doesn't appreciate you, and cares more about fitting in with the others in the group. You were right to tell him about himself. I remember when I used to work as a waitress, and had never heard of a BLT sandwich. So this group of guys came in and one of them ordered a BLT. I was curious to know what it was, and he put on this incredulous face and exclaimed, "What! You're a waitress and you don't know what a BLT is?" I replied, "Yes, I am a waitress and I don't know what a BLT is". He must have repeated this at least two more times, before telling me, in exaggerated patronizing tones, " A BLT is a bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich." I said, "Why couldn't you just tell me that in the first place?" I mean, wouldn't it have been easier to just tell me, so that I could place his order?:rolleyes::rolleyes:[

That sounds like it was awful! I hate it when one asks a simple enough question, and it gets treated like it was meant to entertain. Your boyfriend sounds like he doesn't appreciate you, and cares more about fitting in with the others in the group. You were right to tell him about himself. I remember when I used to work as a waitress, and had never heard of a BLT sandwich. So this group of guys came in and one of them ordered a BLT. I was curious to know what it was, and he put on this incredulous face and exclaimed, "What! You're a waitress and you don't know what a BLT is?" I replied, "Yes, I am a waitress and I don't know what a BLT is". He must have repeated this at least two more times, before telling me, in exaggerated patronizing tones, " A BLT is a bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich." I said, "Why couldn't you just tell me that in the first place?" I mean, wouldn't it have been easier to just tell me, so that I could place his order?:rolleyes::rolleyes:[

Yes it would have. But he needed to feel better about himself buy putting someone else down or rather he found an easy way to validate himself. That, in black in white, is a human weakness to me. Morally, I find some neurotypicals are demented in this kind of situation. What is their problem anyway? Why is it such a terrible thing for them to just refrain from being an asshole. Funny we get all the sh!t for being "rude" when we aren't meaning to, when pricks like this don't get a goddamn hand slap or anything for being blatantly rude on purpose, because they're "norrrrmalllllll" DERRRRRRRR! By the way if I were your manager and saw this happening, I would have told him, "You're not going to speak to my employees that way. Byeeeeeeee!"​

It's kind of a feeling like everyone is in a bubble and you're on the outside of it, looking in at them, observing, not quite able to fit into humanity.

I've felt like this for as long as I can remember.
It's rather isolating.

YES! I feel like they are in the bubble. I see more then they do, I feel more emotional and physically and this is evident. I understand them better than they me. I go to the rhythm of my own, they seem more interested in groups and labels and going with rules that don't make sense and without question. I feel more and more like they are the sheep and we are.... well i dunno what our equivalent is, but you get the point. I feel the world (the world, not the human world) is more open to me and the heartbeat of the earth is something I am more in tune with, then my neurotypicals in my life. While they're all too busy playing red vs blue politics, I could honestly care less, I am in my house working on broken computers or otherwise doing something that when I talk about it later, I can see smoke coming out of their ears by how "complex" of a hobby i have. Give me a break already....

I wish some aliens would come down and make contact as the fact that human beings are supposedly the highest levelled intelligence on this rock orb we live on is depressing to moi.

LOL we occasionally think I'm from Mars due to my randomness and green eyes (which no one in my family has).

I feel like I belong on this planet, but everyone around me is an alien. The birds and trees and seasons and natural patterns make sense to me, but not "all these weird creatures who lock up their spirits".

I always say that I do not understand this planet. I just feel so other. I cannot imagine why people do certain things or feel the way they do about certain things. I just don't get it.

From my earliest memories as a child I recall how I believed I wasn't from here, that I had been 'dumped' on Earth. My few friends thought it was hilarious to keep asking me where I was from as I would just point to the sky.

As I have gone through life I have tried to understand the seperation I feel from the human race at large, and it wasn't until I was diagnosed at 50 that I began to understand the differences. Now I feel that I exist at the edge of society, dipping into it as part of my job or when it suits me. I am so much more at peace with myself, even if that only comes from being wired differently rather than being an actual alien ;)

Do I still believe that I am alien?

I guess I do, I often look at the night sky seeing worlds upon worlds and think, 'I want to go home'.

Weirdly, the other month one of my customers just blurted out 'You didn't want to come here, I don't mean this town, I mean this planet'. She claimed to be psychic and I had never met her before so it freaked me out a bit :eek:

It's interesting, reading the previous posts, that I don't just feel 'different'. It's so much more.

Last edited:
From my earliest memories as a child I recall how I believed I wasn't from here, that I had been 'dumped' on Earth. My few friends thought it was hilarious to keep asking me where I was from as I would just point to the sky.

As I have gone through life I have tried to understand the seperation I feel from the human race at large, and it wasn't until I was diagnosed at 50 that I began to understand the differences. Now I feel that I exist at the edge of society, dipping into it as part of my job or when it suits me. I am so much more at peace with myself, even if that only comes from being wired differently rather than being an actual alien ;)

Do I still believe that I am alien?

I guess I do, I often look at the night sky seeing worlds upon worlds and think, 'I want to go home'.

Weirdly, the other month one of my customers just blurted out 'You didn't want to come here, I don't mean this town, I mean this planet'. She claimed to be psychic and I had never met her before so it freaked me out a bit :eek:

It's interesting, reading the previous posts, that I don't just feel 'different'. It's so much more.
Sometimes I say I need to go back to where I came from as well. I feel like an alien in some way too!

New Threads

Top Bottom