• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Feel Like An Alien?

You raise an interesting point.

Some journalists have clearly not done their due diligence in writing their stories.

If you look hard enough you will find that people from all walks of life are capable of committing heinous acts that would be atypical for that group when taken as a whole.

Adolf Hitler for example, was a vegetarian. Should all German vegetarians have been condemned because of Hitler's role in the Holocaust?

Ted Bundy, a serial rapist and murderer, was once a university student. Should all white male university students have been considered as possible rapists and murderers?

I question those journalists who have chosen to make Asperger's an issue in criminal behavior. They could just as easily have attributed criminal motive to eye color, whether the perpetrator was left handed or right handed, or what they ate (or didn't eat) for breakfast.
Those are good examples of the sorts of category errors some people make when confounding ASD and psychopathy.

Last edited:
I've always felt as though I don't belong here. As a very young child was convinced at various times that I was either adopted, a fairy changeling or a stranded alien. Now I settle for Someplace Else.

I never felt i belonged to the human race. Ive always felt like an alien from when i was little. My thoughts and expectations seems very different from everyone else and can be very isolating. I feel more isolated now as its xmas time now and have not had any friends ive seen during the holiday season and thats isolating as well. Ive been told im a nice person but i dont seem to draw other humans towards me very much and im not gonna go begging for friends no way!
aww I'm very friendly and if i could banish all the loneliness hate non acceptance out of this world i would

i feel as if the pleidian starseed traits on youtube describe me to a tee please explain mod hitler think u can choose to add others to convo unlock ?

Yes and I am apparently to alien for the Mods on this forum
Don't worry, I'm an alien to them too.

I was threatened moderation action for "It was the way in which you said it". Apparently we're expected to have perfect understanding of communication while having a disorder that effects our ability to communicate.

So join the club of being aliens to mods.

Last edited:
No, I don't feel like an alien.
I don't have a sensation of "I am not like others."

It is the reverse.
It seems to me that many people are not me.
But that doesn't make me feel like an alien.

It just has made me wonder why the others
aren't more like me.

I don't know if I would describe myself as an alien. I feel..something of a husk, like I don't have a personality or I'm living in a dream. I don't feel like I have true control of things.

I tried to explain this feeling to my very normal boyfriend last night. He didn't get it.

Do you tend to feel like you are outside of the human species? As if you do not quite understand how they communicate, how they chitter-chatter and laugh constantly and have no hesitancy about going out and doing menial things?
It's kind of a feeling like everyone is in a bubble and you're on the outside of it, looking in at them, observing, not quite able to fit into humanity.

I've felt like this for as long as I can remember.
It's rather isolating.

Is this an Aspergers/Autistic type of thing? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I hate when people do this! Define "normal"?!

Contrary to the opinion of the Daily Fail and the Telegraph, disabled people are just as "normal" as NT and able bodied folk, sometimes more so IMO.

On topic, some people online don't like me, but that's more to do with the fact that for reasons I can't help, I can't work and am resigned to a life on benefits.

They accuse me of being a work shy "drain on their taxes" because they think if I can do voluntary work why can't I work for money? And in a roundabout way I agree, but it's not my fault nobody outside of the voluntary sector will employ the disabled.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I feel like an alien.

I feel as if theres something different about me, something other people don't understand or are afraid of. I don't know what it is, if I did I would've used that knowledge long ago to stop people disliking me.

I don't know what it is, if I did I would've used that knowledge long ago to stop people disliking me.

In my country that's one of those things some of us older folks might refer to as a "sixty four thousand dollar question".

One of the aspects of self-awareness of one's autism (if you actually have it) is to accept that there are traits and behaviors you might be able to improve upon in varying degrees, and those you may not be able to do anything about at all.

Never lose sight that this is ultimately about neurology- not merely attitude. That I can fake Neurotypical behavior to a certain extent, but I can never actually be Neurotypical no matter how much I might want to at select times. Self-awareness can be a great tool, but it's not a guarantee of future social success either.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

Last edited:
In my country that's one of those things some of us older folks might refer to as a "sixty four thousand dollar question".

One of the aspects of self-awareness of one's autism (if you actually have it) is to accept that there are traits and behaviors you might be able to improve upon in varying degrees, and those you may not be able to do anything about at all.

Never lose sight that this is ultimately about neurology- not merely attitude. That I can fake Neurotypical behavior to a certain extent, but I can never actually be Neurotypical no matter how much I might want to at select times. Self-awareness can be a great tool, but it's not a guarantee of future social success either.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

I just make the assumption people won't want to get to know me now and avoid trying to make new friends, I protect myself nowadays by sticking to who I already know

I just make the assumption people won't want to get to know me now and avoid trying to make new friends, I protect myself nowadays by sticking to who I already know

I protect myself through relative isolation. I think I gave up trying to make new friends a long time ago. Even when I tried in joining a social group, I found the experience "empty". o_O

Though in my own case one the things I have to consider apart from being ont he spectrum is my upbringing in a military family. Where we moved so frequently it became impossible to establish any sense of social roots. Even my NT brother has often lamented that eventually he just gave up trying to make new friends altogether. He's got his son and daughter-in law....but that's about all these days.

I think it kinda comes with ASD

It's the lack of ability to connect for most, and it only gets worse if you're thinking about the "why's" and "hows" in regards to human behaviour. A lot of stuff doesn't make sense to me, but people tell me it's usually a bit of a "emotional" thing. People indulding in smalltalk, laughing for (what to me seems) no good reason. It's something I can't force on myself.

I don't know if I could claim I don't fit in with "humans"... but I have a really weird feeling when I am forced to mix in. It feels like it's an undercover mission and I kinda failed that exam (and thus am bad at it). In a way I can get along fine by just being "me"... though people in general told me "you're weird". So that's a reason I don't indulge in social interaction for most and just keep by myself. I don't feel any guilt for being me, but I do feel presured into going out of my own way if I want to be social, when I don't have an intrinsic motivation for. I always feel like showing "normal" behaviour is like a job to me, much like someone who can't walk instinctively but has to think and act consciously for each step. And that's really to tiring for me, and I don't even see a benefit for it. People might call it lazy, but I believe that any effort should somehow pay itself off (in any way, wouldn't go as far as material stuff).

As a kid people already tried to talk guilt into me by saying "don't act this weird"... no, it's not weird, it's me, I really feel sorry if it's weird in your frame of reference.

Coinciding with me thinking about behaviour I'm also quite interested in philosophy, which doesn't really contribute in just going with the flow but makes up for much more critical thinking and the reasons of behaviour. Speaking of philosophy, I hear a lot of people argue that my ideas in general aren't ethical, they're sensible... but in general there's a lot of "oh my, you can't do that... you just can't, it doesn't feel right". And I end up in arguments why that is, it apparently is a trait that comes with empathy to say something is "wrong"...

I actually think that I'm in a bubble, not the rest. But the other way around makes sense. No matter how hard I try... it's a f'n effort to talk to people (not by means of social anxiety)... but sometimes it seems as if I'm speaking a different/foreign language. And that in general gets odd if the people you can't connect with (less and less each day) are people like my parents... I wouldn't be surprised if I was adopted either way (and I've heard people tell me that in the past; I resemble my dad by looks a bit, but for a big part I'm nothing like them in behaviour, values, thoughts and stuff like that, never have)

"Undercover mission" - This is how I feel too.

A line from Donnie Darko sums up what I feel about it.

Donnie: Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?
Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Well, if you're an alien then you're either an attractive one or good at mimicking attractive human faces :mask::nomouth:. I wonder how looks affect peoples expectations from you, are they higher I wonder :confused:

i do not feel human,i have never connected to humans, to me humans are part of the furniture they blend in and my brain doesnt even process them and acknowlegde their presence,until they or i want something and theres no way of doing it myself.
to me, humans look all the same,a generic shape of flesh, my brain only seems to process and acknowledge parts of them like hair and clothing.

i do not relate to humans in any form,i feel very distant and detatched from them.

More like a wild animal pulled out of the wilderness and forced to live amongst the general population. And when I say "general population", I'm not talking about the wolves and other beasts I used to share and hunt prey with.

How can someone claim to be alien anyways? There's no specimens to compare yourself with, so that's a pretty bold statement...unless...

New Threads

Top Bottom