• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Feel Like An Alien?

I have never felt like an alien, but I have had the feeling of being inside an invisible bubble with everyone else on the outside.

Sometimes, yesterday I remembered how was to feel socially weird in a long time. Some friends from college went out to a bar after a test and invited me but I was short on money and had some other things to do so watching them talk and go was like "damn, I didn't felt like outsider like this since high school".

I didn't bother me as much because I don't like to drink and I got used to be "alone" but it was kind of a being an alien feeling fgor a moment.

I tried to explain this feeling to my very normal boyfriend last night. He didn't get it.

Do you tend to feel like you are outside of the human species? As if you do not quite understand how they communicate, how they chitter-chatter and laugh constantly and have no hesitancy about going out and doing menial things?
It's kind of a feeling like everyone is in a bubble and you're on the outside of it, looking in at them, observing, not quite able to fit into humanity.

I've felt like this for as long as I can remember.
It's rather isolating.

Is this an Aspergers/Autistic type of thing? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Hello, Dizzy. Pun intended, by the way. It very much could be an Asperger's thing. My psychologist thinks I have Asperger's and I've experienced a similar feeling for a long time - never being able to fit in, always wondering about some "magical quality" others possess that allow them to socialize and make friends so naturally. I've compared myself to an alien having fallen from the moon (like in the Mr. Bean intro) many times. And yes, it is VERY isolating. I've been feeling lonely forever, and I'm happy that you have a boyfriend. I've never had a girlfriend in my entire life; I've never even gone on a date my entire life. I used to not even understand the true purpose of a date. I hardly ever had any friends, for a while there my only friends were Mom and Dad - both very neurotypical. Even being among NT's who love and care about me, I still feel like an outsider. I hate that feeling, so much. I have a good feeling about being a part of this online community, I'm already gaining more and more insight into my disorder. Despite feeling isolated, always know that none of us is ever alone. :)

IMG_0588.JPG

yes, being alien / locked behind glass / being stuck inside myself ... same for me. always been. I thought asperger's could never overcome. I thought I'd be stuck forever. and I was very sad about this.

untill now. yep. I thought outside of AS - at least if I want to. I won't stay outside but go back inside, so to say, after a short while. It takes a lot energy and practice. but it is an experience that is, in fact, mindblowing to extent that it left me stunned. It changes reality - which is product of the brain of course. yet, the brain is a self-consciouss system and it may therefore change itsself in any way that it likes to. you are the law-maker in your mind, remember that.

so, it does take a strong and powerful mind and perfect knowledge of the function of mind or one's thought - which is nothing else but self-perceiving bio-chemical processes, which can be studied, logically analyzed and predicted. then, my introspective insight is near to absolute. and my knowledge of psychology, psychodynamices in AS and NT, in neurology and pharmacy, in logic and analysis is of such precision, that I am the one who explains things to my therapist.

well, I guess it took me 12 years... and it the greates achievement of my life. 25 now. still breathing. whoop whoop. > it had to be done because of brutal trauma, it was only way out to flee from looming psychosis. I did on my own, alone. I was as good as dead. therefore, it was now or never for me - I made it, somehow, though I feared I would die of seizure or heart attack or something like that.

4 months of crying, screaming, rolling on the floor, smashing things and raging like a wild animal - every few hours or so. the rest of the time: thinking, theory, analysis, logic, again and again and again .. yet, it worked. incredible. my therapist was thunder-struck =D

I am not sure if anybody has ever done this. well, probably someone will. yet, I have not found any documentation. of course, for me it was so very horrible because of severe trauma - however, I am quite sure that there few aspies without trauma of any kind.

it is something may shake the sense of self, of reality, of one's existance so fundamentally, that it may be - so I suppose - be traumatizing as such. at least, if you are suffering from ill mental health.

so, if you're more or less happy they way you are, I would not do it. NT aren't so very happy either, and they really don't get it what this aspie thing is all about. what is more: once you recognize that you are only one of many humans with many different complicated conditions, many worse than aspergers, it somewhat helps. we aspie are stuck in a very egocentric world.

plus, most of the NT are, in fact, quite kind. they are only human after all.^^

then, there are also easier ways to heal from anxiety, social phobia, 'wearing suits'/masks and such things - most of these things happen in your mind. and only there. you get to decide if they do. speaking about it, or writing about it, helps me a lot.

I am writing on various texts right now, though, which will provide a precise overview over AS and NT psychology as well as methods of reducing anxiety, paranoia, shame and guilt, self-hatred, psychosis, personality disorders and much more - so that in future, hopefully, some aspies will be able to set themselves free from their misery. for now I can offer this:

MEG_06.jpg

No. Thing is though, one day in English at school we were doing a test, some idiot in my class pointed to me and said "He's an Alien!", rather annoyed I responded "I heard that! You die at break!"

New Threads

Top Bottom