• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Songs you dislike

I like most rap, country, pop, disco and march. Unfortunately those are my husband's least favourite music.
He likes heavy rock and metal, that or slow non-descript love songs, which is my least favourite music.

For me songs can't be too slow, and must be enjoyable and catchy.

I like most rap, country, pop, disco and march. Unfortunately those are my husband's least favourite music.
He likes heavy rock and metal, that or slow non-descript love songs, which is my least favourite music.

For me songs can't be too slow, and must be enjoyable and catchy.
I prefer things with a beat, too. But slow songs with a good melody can be enjoyable.

I still don’t get why people like The Christmas Shoes. I mean it’s both extremely depressing and a really horrible thought that some woman died over a pair of shoes. I mean what on earth were the writers thinking when they wrote it?! “You know what would really get people into the holiday spirit? A song about a woman dying on Christmas who refuses to go unless she gets a pair of new shoes!” Johnny Cash’s Hurt is more cheerful than Christmas Shoes and you have to remember that was Cash’s final single released in his lifetime and you can tell he knew that he was going to die pretty soon in his voice.

I still don’t get why people like The Christmas Shoes. I mean it’s both extremely depressing and a really horrible thought that some woman died over a pair of shoes. I mean what on earth were the writers thinking when they wrote it?! “You know what would really get people into the holiday spirit? A song about a woman dying on Christmas who refuses to go unless she gets a pair of new shoes!” Johnny Cash’s Hurt is more cheerful than Christmas Shoes and you have to remember that was Cash’s final single released in his lifetime and you can tell he knew that he was going to die pretty soon in his voice.
Being Jewish, I'm not a big fan of Xmas songs. But I don't dislike them - unless they're badly done or have problematic lyrics. I was never excited musically by "Do They Know it's Christmas" by Band Aid, but it definitely has some messed up lyrics.

Yeah I hate that song too. It's too romance-y and not Christmassy. Yet they're always playing it on the radio every December!
I read somewhere that she makes over $2 million every December because of how overplayed that song becomes. She should donate that profit to trauma centers to help heal the people she annoyed with that song being played everywhere.

I like the Selena Gomez song Calm Down, but I mostly only like the main chorus and they only sing that twice in the whole song, while the rest seems to just be song-fillers (or whatever it is and if it's even a thing lol).

Last edited:
A song I have never cared for is Queen's "We Are The Champions". It just sounds like a playground taunt to me.
I quite like that one, although ironically the version of it I like most is the Axel F/Crazy Frog version - which is funny because I hate most of the Crazy Frog stuff and I also don't like Football (Soccer to anyone from the US):

Yes, I think Christmas songs yield an unusually large bounty of terrible music. But most bad songs in the genre seem to occur from the 20th Century onwards. Older traditional songs are often quite beautiful. I have heard some newer ones I liked, but they almost all have been versions of the very old songs.

Part is I believe, that musicians/singers and some non-musicians/singers often seem to decide at some point I need to do a Christmas album. The cynical side of me thinks it is usually just a money project with little thought or effort involved.

One example of a new shot I liked is a pretty recent version of Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer by Bootsy Collins that I heard on Public Radio around Christmas. Not for everyone, not for most people probably, but I have been listening to this guy on and off for over 50 years. Often crazy but one of the all time greats when it comes to laying down a beat.

One I search for but have yet to find is an newer instrumental version of the Little Drummer Boy done in very cool Tex-Mex style, that I heard on Public Radion last Christmas but couldn't determine the artists.

A song I have never cared for is Queen's "We Are The Champions". It just sounds like a playground taunt to me.
Yes there are quite a few songs with that playground taunt sort of tune. Ordinarily I'd hate them due to that fact, but I do actually like We Are The Champions (even though it can be an earworm). The Krankies song We're Going To Spain also has that playground taunt tune but strangely I like that song too.

I also dislike songs that shatter my expectations; it's akin to being abruptly halted in the mental course of a song. I can't quite articulate it, but it's like strolling calmly towards your home, well-acquainted with the route due to daily repetition. Then out of nowhere, someone pops up, trips you, and declares, 'No, you don't reside here.' (That's the sensation I experience each time.) So yes, I too loathe songs that disrupt my expectations.

I also dislike songs that shatter my expectations; it's akin to being abruptly halted in the mental course of a song. I can't quite articulate it, but it's like strolling calmly towards your home, well-acquainted with the route due to daily repetition. Then out of nowhere, someone pops up, trips you, and declares, 'No, you don't reside here.' (That's the sensation I experience each time.) So yes, I too loathe songs that disrupt my expectations.
You mean like the ones I mentioned in my OP where a song (unintentionally) sounds like another song but then isn't? Most songs like that for some reason seems to give me a bit of anxiety and makes me claim to hate the song.
My husband likes these weird songs that last for about 20+ minutes. I don't know what one of them is called but it sounds like Swan Lake when it first plays but then it obviously isn't. So I always just call it Swan Lake anyway lol.

Definitely the holiday chipmunk song that's played on every last radio station throughout December. Practically gives me seizures along with making me really dislike chipmunks

You mean like the ones I mentioned in my OP where a song (unintentionally) sounds like another song but then isn't? Most songs like that for some reason seems to give me a bit of anxiety and makes me claim to hate the song.
My husband likes these weird songs that last for about 20+ minutes. I don't know what one of them is called but it sounds like Swan Lake when it first plays but then it obviously isn't. So I always just call it Swan Lake anyway lol.
Yes,they sound “incorrect/weird”

New Threads

Top Bottom