• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Buying things you don’t need

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
I was watching a video of someone talking about buying items we don’t need or buying too much. I watched a lady buy 20 sugar scrubs. I’m thinking that’s too many to have. I like to have one or two of something but not 20. I think it’s getting outrageous. What do you think?

Living in an apartment, I have limited space for just about everything. Whether I can afford to be flippant about buying something is one thing. Having a place to put it is another. And I can't handle clutter....not with my OCD. Where I'm more prone to purging what I own than hoard much of anything.

Ironically the last apartment I lived in had much more storage/closet space. But it lacked size in terms of the bedroom and living room compared to where I am now.

It's part of world we live in. People have no sense of value anymore with much of anything. Truthfully it's almost normal to have multiple of something, because stuff now is built for a throw away society.

Nothing else matters, that isn't feeding the beast.

Same thing with sewing-machines; they expect you to buy The Latest Model instead of waiting and getting one that's adequate for your needs--they push you to buy either a very fancy one, or to buy a moderately fancy one to sell a fancier one later. Most people don't need all the fancy stitches to do the majority of home sewing projects.

Cars are also like this. Oddly enough, shotguns are sold the same way--if you look up the specifications for Benelli, for example, they treat their autoloaders and pump-guns like they are the Lord's gift to shotgunning when my busted-down 1915 Belknap Single does the exact same job. Stick a shell in it, pull the trigger, it goes bang. You just have to be a better shot because it only gives you one chance.

Bicycles are one of the worst offenders; it doesn't take much to make a strong serviceable bike but I have been told by dealers that unless you're willing to buy a $5,000 cycle every five years, you're not cycling--and by other dealers that my steel-frame Raleigh is not sound and will not last. (I proceeded to put 125 miles on it a week. It is fine; it's apart waiting on some new bearings.)

Consumerism is not a fun state of mind.

Maybe she had a lot of sugar she needed to get scrubbed? 🤔

I think I'm going to google sugar scrub... what is that?

I also had to look up "sugar scrub."

What Is a Sugar Scrub?

Sugar scrubs physically slough away built-up dead cells on the skin’s surface, and by doing so, they leave your skin smoother, brighter and more radiant. They are primarily made of organic or artificial sugar crystals that help capture and exfoliate dead skin. Most sugar scrubs you’ll find on the market are designed for use on the body, but you can also find formulas meant for the face and lips.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 7.11.31 AM.png

I also had to look up "sugar scrub."

What Is a Sugar Scrub?

Sugar scrubs physically slough away built-up dead cells on the skin’s surface, and by doing so, they leave your skin smoother, brighter and more radiant. They are primarily made of organic or artificial sugar crystals that help capture and exfoliate dead skin. Most sugar scrubs you’ll find on the market are designed for use on the body, but you can also find formulas meant for the face and lips.

View attachment 129571

Oh, so that's what it is. I just use sandpaper for my exfoliation needs.
80 grit. It's what dudes do, sandpaper and brillo pads. ;)

Board games are what I'm familiar with.

I've been into the hobby for a few years now and it's been rather baffling to watch how many others engage with the hobby.

For quite a few people, they'll have ENORMOUS collections of board games. I'm talking like 500+ different games. Just think about that for a second. Think of how many that REALLY is.

And these arent the old simplistic mass-market Hasbro games you'd find in stores either. Modern board games are wildly different and in many cases drastically more complicated. But whether it's a complex one, or a simpler one that's quicker to learn, you still gotta go through the rules and make sure you (and anyone you play with) understands them. And then there's the length of playtime. Could be like 20 minutes. Or it could be like 3 hours. It depends. So, when you consider that along with the sheer size of some people's collections, well... how much use are they getting out of each individual game?

There's also the matter of content. A co-op game might be like "hey there's 12 different bosses you can fight and there's a campaign mode!" But some will buy a game like that, get super excited about it, play it like twice, decide it's amazing, and then OOPS, The New Hotness (next game) just arrived in the mail, lets put this one that is soooooo amazing onto the shelf and never touch it again.

And that's how it goes. Buy a game, play it, love it, but they just NEED that new shiny one. They need it. They saw the reviews of it and wow it looks so amazing... nevermind the last 400 times they said that and then put the things on the shelf of eternity after 1 or 2 plays.

I should note also that modern board games are EXPENSIVE. This is not a cheap hobby. It's not uncommon to pay over $100 for one, particularly if you're grabbing a game that has a bunch of expansions and you decide you want to get the whole thing at once. Or there's Kickstarters, and if you're familiar with Kickstarter at all, you probably dont even need an explanation of what that does to both price and hype.

But it's the content thing that really gets me. What's the point of being like "oh gee look how many different characters and scenarios there are" or whatever type of content it is, if you're only going to engage with 10% of what's there before shelving it forever? This is even stupider with expansions. You have Game X, which when new you did the "play twice and shelve" thing, but when a shiny new expansion for it comes out, you GOTTA have that, despite the fact that you didnt even engage with all of the content that already is there? And then inevitably that sort of player still wont use all of it. Because that's just another part of the Buy New Shiny Thing cycle.

I am happy to be able to say that I dont do that. Oh dont get me wrong; I've done my big purchases. Like my two favorite games, Aeon's End and Final Girl, both have had hundreds of dollars thrown at them (because both have A LOT of expansions). But I buy into those knowing that I'm going to keep coming back to them again and again. The purchases were actually thought out, because if I'm going to pay a couple of hundred for something, I bloody well better be REALLY getting value out of it, or what's the point? And indeed I've played those two games a heck of a lot (seriously they're great).

My overall collection after about 4 years in the hobby is only enough to fill a single Kallax shelving unit, and even that's only because I set them in there so awkwardly. I'd rather have a smaller number of extremely replayable games to explore and master, instead of having like 1000 games that each get played once.

And... yeah I just have a lot of trouble understanding why others would buy so many things and get little use out of any of them. Particularly with a hobby as expensive (and expansive) as this one.

That's just board games. I could also rant for awhile about the concept as it applies to video games, but... I'll save you the 10+ pages of that rant.

When I read the description my first thought was of Sugar Soap. We used to scrub walls with that before applying wallpaper, it prevents mould from growing in the wallpaper paste.

And for the tough skin on your feet a cheese grater works fantastic. :)

I buy too much food, like all kinds of mustards, pickled things, and bottled hot sauces. They are shelf stable, and I will eventually use them to cook or make something to eat, but they take up an entire top shelf of the kitchen cabinets where I store food. Good grief, how many jars of Dijon mustards, olives, pickled okra, pickled cucumbers, pickled beets, pickled jalapenos, chilis in adobo sauce, sauerkraut, tuna fish, anchovies, sardines, and Worcestershire sauces do I really need?!

As far as I'm aware, I don't have exfoliation needs. I guess if I find a reason to exfoliate 🤯, I have a number of attachments in my dremel kit.
Generally though, I think I will just leave my skin where it is. Seems I will be less likely to leak various fluids with intact skin.

As far as I'm aware, I don't have exfoliation needs. I guess if I find a reason to exfoliate 🤯, I have a number of attachments in my dremel kit.
Generally though, I think I will just leave my skin where it is. Seems I will be less likely to leak various fluids with intact skin.

Yes, Dremel is good for exfoliating all the nooks and crannies. 😆

New Threads

Top Bottom