• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

There should be no labels in children unless they develop severe mental health issues.

Oz67

The new diagnostic criteria for ASPD no longer list any form of Conduct Disorder or Oppositional Defiant Disorder, as behavioral problems in childhood can be a normal part of brain development and there should not be any labels on children unless they develop severe mental health issues.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 7.24.27 AM.png

Oppositional Defiant Disorder or Conduct Disorder should only be diagnosed if the behavioral problems are very serious or dangerous and cause distress, not just normal brain development, as children and teenagers before age 15+ are immature and impulsive to a mild degree and that is normal as children at those times develop a sense of right and wrong and more empathy and loyalty for others.

Mild behavioral issues can be Oppositional Defiant Disorder or Conduct Disorder if there is atypical or arrested development or other neurodevelopmental disorders or neurological disorders that can explain criminal behaviors from early childhood before age 15+

New diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder

Proposed Diagnostic Criteria

A. Moderate or greater impairment in personality functioning,
manifested by characteristic difficulties in two or more of the
following four areas:

1. Identity: Egocentrism; self-esteem derived from personal
gain, power, or pleasure.

2. Self-direction: Goal setting based on personal
gratification; absence of prosocial internal standards,
associated with failure to conform to lawful or culturally
normative ethical behavior.

3. Empathy: Lack of concern for feelings, needs, or suffering
of others; lack of remorse after hurting or mistreating
another.

4. Intimacy: Incapacity for mutually intimate relationships, as
exploitation is a primary means of relating to others,
including by deceit and coercion; use of dominance or
intimidation to control others.

B. Six or more of the following seven pathological personality
traits:

1. Manipulativeness (an aspect of Antagonism): Frequent
use of subterfuge to influence or control others; use of
seduction, charm, glibness, or ingratiation to achieve
one’s ends.

2. Callousness (an aspect of Antagonism): Lack of
concern for feelings or problems of others; lack of guilt or
remorse about the negative or harmful effects of one’s
actions on others; aggression; sadism.

3. Deceitfulness (an aspect of Antagonism): Dishonesty
and fraudulence; misrepresentation of self; embellishment
or fabrication when relating events.

4. Hostility (an aspect of Antagonism): Persistent or
frequent angry feelings; anger or irritability in response to
minor slights and insults; mean, nasty, or vengeful
behavior.

5. Risk taking (an aspect of Disinhibition): Engagement in
dangerous, risky, and potentially self-damaging activities,
unnecessarily and without regard for consequences;
boredom proneness and thoughtless initiation of activities
to counter boredom; lack of concern for one’s limitations
and denial of the reality of personal danger.
Specifiers.

6. Impulsivity (an aspect of Disinhibition): Acting on the
spur of the moment in response to immediate stimuli;
acting on a momentary basis without a plan or
consideration of outcomes; difficulty establishing and
following plans.

7. Irresponsibility (an aspect of Disinhibition): Disregard
for—and failure to honor—financial and other obligations
or commitments; lack of respect for—and lack of followthrough on—agreements and promises.

Note. The individual is at least 18 years of age.

Specify if:
With psychopathic features

What diagnostic protocols are you referring to? The DSM-V or the ICD-11?

Who is making such assertions or suggestions?

DSM-5-TR, it is what I was focusing on.

Thanks. Though it makes it very real...for better or worse.

What they say goes, no matter what our input might be. Other than perhaps the occasional medical professional who chooses to "freelance" the diagnostic process.

What they say goes, no matter what our input might be. Other than perhaps the occasional medical professional who chooses to "freelance" the diagnostic process.

I agree 💯 👍

ICD -11 is much better, they can diagnose those disorders in young adulthood, as their brain is still in developmental stage.

ICD -11 is much better, they can diagnose those disorders in young adulthood, as their brain is still in developmental stage.

Not a good thing to have differing diagnostic protocols. After all, human neurology doesn't change with national borders or continents. Medical science should strive to always be on the same page.

Not a good thing to have differing diagnostic protocols. After all, human neurology doesn't change with national borders or continents. Medical science should strive to always be on the same page.

Can you explain it better?

Can you explain it better?

Having competing diagnostic protocols implies that one may be more or less accurate than the other. That bodes poorly for those subject to a more inaccurate or outright wrong diagnostic process.

Worse still to ponder whether you were correctly diagnosed or not.

Of course there are some medical professionals who tend to freelance the process, which makes it all even more confusing. Who are they to challenge their own process? And what if they are right? I don't mind being a patient of medical science. However I'm a human being- not a lab rat. I think we're entitled to something far more objective in terms of universal medical science.

It may not bother a great many people. However for me, I find the situation preposterous as long as competing protocols are just that, rather be on the same page for all humans, regardless of national origin or political concerns.

Last edited:
Having competing diagnostic protocols implies that one may be more or less accurate than the other. That bodes poorly for those subject to a more inaccurate or outright wrong diagnostic process.

Worse still to ponder whether you were correctly diagnosed or not.

Of course there are some medical professionals who tend to freelance the process, which makes it all even more confusing. Who are they to challenge their own process? And what if they are right? I don't mind being a patient of medical science. However I'm a human being- not a lab rat. I think we're entitled to something far more objective in terms of universal medical science.

It may not bother a great many people. However for me, I find the situation preposterous as long as competing protocols are just that, rather be on the same page for all humans, regardless of national origin or political concerns.

That actually makes sense.

So then, the child who is being called a freak by its peers and talked down to for being lazy or distracted by its teacher should not have a name to their neurological condition, to help the adults around to empathize, and be able to teach and guide within the way the child experiences the world? The child shouldn't have a name to their neurological difference, that would help them learn more about who they are and how they process stimuli as they grow?

Children can have mental health issues, but it has to arrested developmental pathways of mild ODD or CD that can cause some distress or serious behavioral issues that cause enough distress. Although subclinical misconduct can be just part of a person's normal development.

New Threads

Top Bottom