• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Aspergers the evolved/elevated human being ?

I don't think the species will be around long enough to see that happen. To be honest, I think we've been digging our own grave.
Hm... In my opinion when humanity gets really screwed some people will kind of 'arouse' from their 'sleep' and will be able to adopt the right attitude. Disaster is the only way some people learn.

Hm... In my opinion when humanity gets really screwed some people will kind of 'arouse' from their 'sleep' and will be able to adopt the right attitude. Disaster is the only way some people learn.
I hope you are right. But I think we won't get our wakeup call until we've reached the point of no return..

You always make me smile AsheSkyler. :)

Waldo actually cost me $100. Can you believe that? :rolleyes: And they didn't mention his bottomless pit of a stomach.
If he's a purebred something, sounds like a good deal! Even for a male, I rarely see a domestic house pet below $100, unless it's a fish or rodent or other really small thing.

God no, if we were go great we would probably breed a tad more, methinks people with AS have far less children.

Aspergers does seem like a result of our genes evolution. What passes on genetically is evolution and what has already been passed on to us is evolution. It makes sense to me that our DNA has "mutated" for it's best chance at survival. Does that mean aspergers is that next step? It could be. If the genetic lines that survived and carried on to us are the cause and we are the result then something in those genetic lines has a great evolutionary survival strategy?

I've actually had a thought, and this is welcome for debate.

It's often said that people with Autism/Aspergers are less likely to have kids, but this actually may be a benefit.
I think this year, we learned that there are now over 7 billion humans on this planet, compared to over 5 billion back in 2005. Some may argue that it's too many humans and that we are running out of resources, etc.

Maybe us not having children as much may be an advantage after all?
(as stated, you are welcome to debate this).

I've actually had a thought, and this is welcome for debate.

It's often said that people with Autism/Aspergers are less likely to have kids, but this actually may be a benefit.
I think this year, we learned that there are now over 7 billion humans on this planet, compared to over 5 billion back in 2005. Some may argue that it's too many humans and that we are running out of resources, etc.

Maybe us not having children as much may be an advantage after all?
(as stated, you are welcome to debate this).

Yes, the world it terribly over populated, it's beyond unsustainable at the current levels, and is predicted to get much worse, such a depressing thought. I think that anyone not having children is a good thing. It's the only reason why I don't intend to ever have biological children.

I disagree. Case in point - cheating on a spouse. It may be "logical" to say it would be ok to cheat as long as the spouse doesn't find out - it's harmless fun. However, with "emotion" comes guilt. If one feels "guilty" about cheating they will then be less apt to do the immoral act because feeling guilty is not comfortable. Also empathy would come into it because that would allow you to know how you would feel if your spouse cheated on you and you don't want to cause your spouse that same pain.

Which leads me to another question. Why is it that Aspies are more apt to NOT cheat on their spouse? Is it because of higher morals and logic? Or is it maybe because they are less interested in sex? Or could it be that they have a difficult time picking up on flirting and socializing which would allow them more chance to cheat? Some Aspies are religious so that might be the reason for their high morals.

I think it really depends on each individual person, what they consider to be moral and what they can live with.
I think it's a combination of those things (including, or especially, the guilt, mentioned). Whatever thrill or enjoyment is just not worth it

I don't think I'm an evolutionary step-up. Some of us are greyhounds, some of us are whippets (or poodle and spaniel, or whatever two mutts ye like). All dogs, just a different breed.
or with dolphins they share the similar makeup but they are different.

Last edited:
A fun if somewhat dangerous topic. I sometimes think of us as "humanity 2.0 (beta)". Which is to say: we're buggier than the original (for now), but we have some new and exciting features as well. Unfortunately, we have a lot of problems deploying in systems that were designed for the legacy version. ;-)

More seriously -- if it's possible to think about this seriously -- it's true as people said above that "evolution doesn't work like that". But then again, the vast majority of what happens in the human brain is not directly genetically coded; it's the product of all kinds of insanely complex epigenetic and environmental interactions that we're only starting to begin to understand. So there may be hereditary brain adaptation that isn't evolution in the traditional Darwin-Mendel sense. And it is possible to think of autism as a kind of adaptive response to certain properties of modern society (especially the computer age). Of course that only makes sense if we're actually becoming more common and not just more frequently-diagnosed.

Or -- if we entertain the propositions that a) autism is becoming more common and b) it's mostly genetic -- we could consider autism as a kind of stress reaction within the species. In simpler forms of life, cases have been documented in which mutation rates escalate in response to extreme stress. (Random example). Putting it in terms that would make an actual biologist cringe, the genes adopt a scattershot approach, increasing divergence in "hopes" of finding a variation that will save the day. Autism could be one product of that kind of divergent strategy.

Or not. Hard to say, really. :)

Probably not. Evo works by a chain of random mutations that are slight improvements which survive better. For this thread premise to be true we would have to be better able to thrive/reproduce in the current environment then NTs. Do you see that happening?

I don't think of such a thing in an earthly sense. However I do believe we "craft" our intended reincarnated lives to some extent. The question then becomes, in such a process do we deliberately assign ourselves certain arduous conditions to gain from such an experience ?

From this plane of existence it sounds ghastly at times. However from the perspective of an eternal spirit, even the worst earthly experiences may serve us in continually evolving. Not to prove anything to anyone, but to individually grow and learn.
I like the term "mutant" too. :) There may be something to this chemical imbalance as a means of evolving. I've considered this often. Obviously, not all instances of mutation result in a better product. In that case, that product would not survive. If the product is superior, it will survive and be better adaipted to its environment. Maybe AS is part of that evolution? Maybe the condition of this planet is calling for minds that think differently?

I have been diagnosed with ASD and Fibromyalgia, both are caused by a chemical imbalance in the fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. As you rightly said "Obviously, not all instances of mutation result in a better product." I wouldnt wish Fibromyalgia on anyone, it is most definitely NOT a better product although I do love being an aspie!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom