• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Aspergers the evolved/elevated human being ?

Morality is a lot of times based on logic, for example, smoking is unhealthy, all genders should be equal because all have good and bad traits, I mean a lot of "logical" thinking that are against moral are usually not really logic. But I some cases it is, and that there is the point where I bundle up in the corner and cry:p

Ideology and politics can color virtually anything construed as moral or logical. And usually does.

Yea, your right, maybe I should redefine the meaning of logic and moral for myself.

I don't think of us as the next step, but I do believe in average that an aspie is more intelligent an has higher moral standards, not because we are better but because our brains have different paths than NT's that allow us to see things logically, and it is logical to help another rather than fight and to see things as they really are, but we lack the ability to handle a fight and to choose what information to leave and what to take, nothing is without fault, alone, but together we are perfect.

This. +1

Doesn't logic sometimes get in the way of morality?
And of course morals are up to perspective, what we perceive as "moral" another culture can perceive as immoral, so really, even if aspies are more moral within the perception of our culture, is that a good thing?Morals such as fidelity and modesty don't really better society, other morals maybe do...

All I see it as is that I have a lot less short-term memory than most people.
As such, I don't always get the social cues that everybody else gets.
I definitely don't see myself as better than anybody else for having less short-term memory.

No. There's higher morals to be found in logic then there is in emotion. If you think about it, I think you'll agree.

I disagree. Case in point - cheating on a spouse. It may be "logical" to say it would be ok to cheat as long as the spouse doesn't find out - it's harmless fun. However, with "emotion" comes guilt. If one feels "guilty" about cheating they will then be less apt to do the immoral act because feeling guilty is not comfortable. Also empathy would come into it because that would allow you to know how you would feel if your spouse cheated on you and you don't want to cause your spouse that same pain.

Which leads me to another question. Why is it that Aspies are more apt to NOT cheat on their spouse? Is it because of higher morals and logic? Or is it maybe because they are less interested in sex? Or could it be that they have a difficult time picking up on flirting and socializing which would allow them more chance to cheat? Some Aspies are religious so that might be the reason for their high morals.

I think it really depends on each individual person, what they consider to be moral and what they can live with.

Which leads me to another question. Why is it that Aspies are more apt to NOT cheat on their spouse?

Cheating strikes me as rather complex socialization. Where you are no only wooing some other person, but having to deceive your spouse.

Doing both in the same time frame? What a headache! Not for this Aspie. ;)

It's my understanding that evolution is plants & animals ability to change over time, to better accommodate their ever changing environment . How does this have anything to do with AS?

I disagree. Case in point - cheating on a spouse. It may be "logical" to say it would be ok to cheat as long as the spouse doesn't find out - it's harmless fun. However, with "emotion" comes guilt. If one feels "guilty" about cheating they will then be less apt to do the immoral act because feeling guilty is not comfortable. Also empathy would come into it because that would allow you to know how you would feel if your spouse cheated on you and you don't want to cause your spouse that same pain.

I do agree that emotion can lead to a choice of not causing pain/suffering.
It would be an immoral thing to cheat on a spouse, if you've agreed not to. (its a given most of the time)
One would not be causing any direct suffering, if said spouse never found out. But one would have to decieve and tell lies, which has vast consequences.

In many cases, logic should not be used as the one and only determening factor.
In NO case should emotion be used as the one and only determening factor
, because it clouds judgement in ways we do not yet fully understand.
What may seem right at the time may cause massive harm in the future, and thats where logic and reason come in to play.

Take the trolley problem for example:Trolley problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a lot of factors and variables one has to take in to account in order to make a true morally "good" choice.
Causality, logic, reason, and to a minor extent, emotion.

Just because something "feels" right doesn't make it so.

Edit: I double posted, and deleted the first.

Last edited:
Usually in real life most of the time they do.

(Now I'm sorry. I forgot you're taking me literally.)
Then neither of us should be sorry at all! Lets celebrate with a :D

Doesn't logic sometimes get in the way of morality?
I think maybe, what you ment was sometimes logic gets in the way of emotion, or vice versa?
An act that causes emotional (or other) pain and suffering can still be a morally good choice.

Last edited:
Then neither of us should be sorry at all! Lets celebrate with a :D

I think maybe, what you ment was sometimes logic gets in the way of emotion, or vice versa?

I talked about it for so long, I forgot what I was trying to say! :p

It's kind of like the example I gave. Aspies are always going to use logic when making a moral decision, but depending on the situation it could get them in some hot water. The example with the cheating on the spouse, for an Aspie who thinks there is nothing wrong with it as long as the spouse doesn't find out would still be morally wrong. Aspies just see it logically, but if you were an NT your emotions would tell you it was wrong. And if an NT thought cheating as being morally wrong before they did it, they would have a hard time living with their emotions (guilt) and have remorse. Some NT's would feel so bad that they would have to tell the truth of what happened to their spouse. I understand that an Aspie wouldn't have the feeling of guilt - is that right?

I understand that an Aspie wouldn't have the feeling of guilt - is that right?
For a purely autistic person, that would be the case. This person would not know he'd be inflicting pain.
Nobody on these forums is 100% autistic, we've all experienced and learned and felt.
I for one would feel an overwhelming urge to confess, because I KNOW it is wrong, for reasons established before.
It would not be my emotions telling me its wrong, that part is true.

Wether I choose not to cheat based on logic or emotion does not alter the outcome.
The moral choice is made, it does not matter where it originated. (in this case)
The emotional pain or distress one feels by doing something immoral, does not make not performing the act more morally just.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom