• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jobs sometimes suck

RemyZee

I work in an office with all disabled people--as an advocacy person. I love my job. There are accomodations, I feel what I'm doing is meaningful and I like the people there. My boss and program director yesterday called me in for a"feedback session". They told me I'm being put on a "personal Improvement plan." because while I am good at many parts of my job, I am not not with executive functioning. Not good with anything involving sequences.

I have been there 3 months and EVERY time I've done my timesheet it's been wrong--despite going over them repeatedly. . It's like I can hardly count! like with some tasks, I have to relearn them every time I do them. My bosses said I'm doing well on the job, but if I can't get the basics like timesheets, excel, all the many things you have to have a memory for--it isn't going to work. Same thing with visual processing. When I try to read, its virtually impossible to keep my eyes from going to the wrong place, or to retrieve what they just said, so I am constantly starting at the beginning.

What makes me laugh is that they call it a Personal Improvement plan." hahahahaha.....a Pip! Pip is crusty stuff or human ailment, or a "non specific disorder." I guess I am a pip then, or I guess you could say, "I am pip." This is another issue: I work with several blind people, and they are given materials in an accessible format. The format that is required from those of us who aren't blind is different. I don't know why we couldn't figure out an accessible format that works.

Problem is for our time sheet, we first have to convert the time to military time--something I am virtually incapable of doing (believe me I've tried--even with a chart)--the conversion thing is a requirement. Then the military time is converted automatically to standard time. Then the database has to correspond exactly with what's on the time sheet.

I think many people would have a tough time with this: for me, I've been trying for 3 months and not getting it right....like I said, my eyes bounce around so even figuring out which line I am on is disorienting. The way my mind works with communication is that I will follow what people are saying for about 3 sentences, then I completely forget what we are talking about. People get angry with me! thinking I'm not trying or that I don't care.

Will anybody please give any ideas about what to do with this. It happens so often and it's pretty dejecting. .

A PIP is basically the work world's equivalent of what in soccer would be a yellow card.

In other words, management (referee) is concerned about something.
If one is able to improve on the area of concern, usually that's it and nothing else comes of it.
If the area of concern doesn't show improvement, then it may lead to more severe actions, potentially including termination.

Generally speaking, a PIP would include some sort of coaching and/or mentoring, in addition to a review of available resources and tools that may assist in your work.

As Aspychata noted, it would be helpful to explore what tools are available out there that may be able to assist you.

Has a trainer, coach, or mentor been assigned to you yet? They may be able to assist you in navigating your challenges and helping identify adaptations that may assist you in being more successful in your tasks.

Do you currently have any other challenges, or it is mainly the correct input and submission of timesheets?

Perhaps we might be able to crowdsource some ideas here as well.

Yes, I"ve been looking at potential apps, programs, sites that might help. Yesterday, I found Readwok--which allows you to see one sentence or paragraph at a time on the screen when you're scrolling. It works very well when it's a challenge to absorb all the words. I do have a job coach--she's helpful

New Threads

Top Bottom