• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

autism and guns

I'm actually interested why you're interested in these stats?

I like stats, as, I'm guessing, plenty of aspies do, but I'm curious though. Which stats exactly are you looking for even? Incidents? Ownership?

I WAS QUOTED BY THE KING.
DEAR SIR KING, IT IS MY HONOR TO BE QUOTED AND ASKED A QUESTION BY YOU;

1000509261001_1340978910001_Bio-Biography-King-Arthur-LF.jpg

cb57032c4285a17c611642b3fcaa9776.jpg

king-arthur-3.jpg.jpeg

king-lion-nancy-hall.jpg

the-lion-king-image1_10,11.jpg

The_Lion_King_by_LordDoomhammer.jpg

The-Lion-King-2-the-lion-king-2-simbas-pride-4639181-850-504.jpg

hello,

what are the stats of autism people that use guns?

cheers:smirkcat:

When I lived in Texas I used to go back into the woods and shoot guns all of the time.

I do not own any guns now as I live in an urban environment and honestly cannot afford to purchase any at this point.

I'm a gun owner with Asperger's. I conceal carry every day, am a firearms instructor, and am also a competitive pistol shooter. A big part of the draw to firearms, for me, has been the appreciation of fine craftsmanship, creative engineering, and generally appreciating fun examples of mechanical devices (just like watches, electronics, sports cars, etc.). The major other factor is self-reliance.

As far as my personal tastes, I consider myself an enthusiast, the same as I'm an automotive enthusiast. I tend to have appreciation for just about anything when it comes to firearms. I do tend to like a lot of manufacturers on the finer side of things, such as SIG Sauer, H&K, Glock, Walther, etc. I like, own, and carry Glocks since I'm a big fan of their utilitarian nature and ease of maintenance. Literally, with only a short amount of training, pretty much any gun owner can effectively become their own "armorer" with a Glock. That being said, I love guns with hammers as well. ;) So, I don't ride any bandwagons. LOL

Thankfully, in my experiences and time in and around the firearms industry, I have been fortunate to have trained and shot with a fairly wide range of individuals from all walks of life. I have ALL sorts of stories, some you wouldn't believe, some that are downright hilarious, and some that are truly eye-opening to the way the world works and just how unpredictable human beings can be. I've trained students that have been the victim of crimes, students that have had dedicated and serious stalkers, one student that escaped a broad daylight kidnapping attempt, as well as some handicapped students.

I've also shot my fair share of machineguns. Eventually, I hope one day to be able to afford a transferable H&K MP5, as they're one of the funnest submachineguns around. Unfortunately, a civilian legal/transferable one tends to start around $15-20k, putting them well out of reach for most people. Machineguns I've shot before, that I can remember, are: 2 different generations of Glock 18's (bullet hose), Ingram 9mm Mac 11 clone (insane rate of fire), multiple MP5's, MP5K's, and MP5SD's, H&K UMP, IWI Mini Uzi, Kriss Vector SMG, M3A1 Grease gun (most controllable .45acp subgun I've ever shot), multiple M4/M16's, B&T TP9, and I think several others I can't remember.

On a side note, I have a fairly extensive amount of experience with firearms. If anyone ever wishes to, I am more than happy to answer any rational questions you might have on the subject.

I'm a gun owner with Asperger's. I conceal carry every day, am a firearms instructor, and am also a competitive pistol shooter. A big part of the draw to firearms, for me, has been the appreciation of fine craftsmanship, creative engineering, and generally appreciating fun examples of mechanical devices (just like watches, electronics, sports cars, etc.). The major other factor is self-reliance.

As far as my personal tastes, I consider myself an enthusiast, the same as I'm an automotive enthusiast. I tend to have appreciation for just about anything when it comes to firearms. I do tend to like a lot of manufacturers on the finer side of things, such as SIG Sauer, H&K, Glock, Walther, etc. I like, own, and carry Glocks since I'm a big fan of their utilitarian nature and ease of maintenance. Literally, with only a short amount of training, pretty much any gun owner can effectively become their own "armorer" with a Glock. That being said, I love guns with hammers as well. ;) So, I don't ride any bandwagons. LOL

Thankfully, in my experiences and time in and around the firearms industry, I have been fortunate to have trained and shot with a fairly wide range of individuals from all walks of life. I have ALL sorts of stories, some you wouldn't believe, some that are downright hilarious, and some that are truly eye-opening to the way the world works and just how unpredictable human beings can be. I've trained students that have been the victim of crimes, students that have had dedicated and serious stalkers, one student that escaped a broad daylight kidnapping attempt, as well as some handicapped students.

I've also shot my fair share of machineguns. Eventually, I hope one day to be able to afford a transferable H&K MP5, as they're one of the funnest submachineguns around. Unfortunately, a civilian legal/transferable one tends to start around $15-20k, putting them well out of reach for most people. Machineguns I've shot before, that I can remember, are: 2 different generations of Glock 18's (bullet hose), Ingram 9mm Mac 11 clone (insane rate of fire), multiple MP5's, MP5K's, and MP5SD's, H&K UMP, IWI Mini Uzi, Kriss Vector SMG, M3A1 Grease gun (most controllable .45acp subgun I've ever shot), multiple M4/M16's, B&T TP9, and I think several others I can't remember.

On a side note, I have a fairly extensive amount of experience with firearms. If anyone ever wishes to, I am more than happy to answer any rational questions you might have on the subject.

Although I have never fired the H&K MP5, this is the weapon I truly wish to own some day.

Although I have never fired the H&K MP5, this is the weapon I truly wish to own some day.

They're an incredible amount of fun. Since they're a mostly steel gun and with the roller delayed blowback system, they have very little recoil in 9mm and are very smooth shooters. About the most cost effective way to own one would be to settle for a semi-auto "clone", which can be found anywhere from $1,500-3,000. Depending on which city/state you live, the exact configuration you can buy may be limited based on local state laws. Worst case, although it's not the real thing, $100-200 will get you a decent quality, mostly metal airsoft replica of the real thing, if you just want to be able to enjoy the appearance of it.

Most of the non-automotive enthusiasts would not recognize your avatar as a the inlet side of a turbocharger :D
I have a little time on a Chicago typewriter :cool:
Much like yourself,my interest in firearms is an extension of my love of mechanical items ;)

My wife's carry gun is a 9mm with pearl pink grips. As for the grand kids, the guys want to shoot the black guns. But we have a 22 rifle with a pink stock to encourage the girls.

I know you said "whatever makes you happy" in a follow-up post, but I really hope the "pink stock to encourage the girls" is because your girls like pink and not because they're girls. The new trend of pink-ifying everything that's traditionally considered "male" so that it "appeals to the girls" bugs the crap out of me.

Regarding the original question -- I don't think there are any specific stats, but I'm willing to bet it's about the same for Aspies as it is for NTs. Some people like them and collect them, some hate them and don't want anything to do with them. Being Aspie shouldn't preclude an otherwise responsible and law-abiding person from owning a firearm, since Aspies are fully capable of understanding rules, laws, and mechanics of safely operating a firearm.

That said, I don't personally own any firearms that I use with any regularity (I have an old shotgun my grandfather gave me, but haven't shot it, because I suck with shotguns), since I live in the city now, but I grew up in a house with a dozen or more. We learned how to handle them safely and hunting was common in my area and our house. We learned they were tools to be respected and used in their proper place.

I know you said "whatever makes you happy" in a follow-up post, but I really hope the "pink stock to encourage the girls" is because your girls like pink and not because they're girls. The new trend of pink-ifying everything that's traditionally considered "male" so that it "appeals to the girls" bugs the crap out of me.

Regarding the original question -- I don't think there are any specific stats, but I'm willing to bet it's about the same for Aspies as it is for NTs. Some people like them and collect them, some hate them and don't want anything to do with them. Being Aspie shouldn't preclude an otherwise responsible and law-abiding person from owning a firearm, since Aspies are fully capable of understanding rules, laws, and mechanics of safely operating a firearm.

That said, I don't personally own any firearms that I use with any regularity (I have an old shotgun my grandfather gave me, but haven't shot it, because I suck with shotguns), since I live in the city now, but I grew up in a house with a dozen or more. We learned how to handle them safely and hunting was common in my area and our house. We learned they were tools to be respected and used in their proper place.
The girls wanted and like pink because Grandma has a pink gun. I do not understand why making things pink to appeal to girls bothers you, but that's OK, there's a lot of things I don't understand. I agree with you 100% about Aspies and firearms.

The girls wanted and like pink because Grandma has a pink gun. I do not understand why making things pink to appeal to girls bothers you, but that's OK, there's a lot of things I don't understand. I agree with you 100% about Aspies and firearms.

I think a lot of it is, there is somewhat of a trend in the industry for companies paying lip service to women, and only really offering guns or accessories in pink. It's just kind of a simple generalization. My wife feels the same way, and says she'll NEVER buy a pink gun. ;) She'd much rather have a blue one, maybe something in a carbon fiber pattern, or something else more to her tastes, but not generalized "pink". If a girl likes pink guns though, nothing wrong with that!

Nitro , sounds like we like a lot of the same things. :) Unfortunately I have yet to shoot a Thompson, but I certainly want to. At full cyclic rate, those things are a BEAST! ;) Just curious, what types of car stuff or other mechanical stuff do you like, if you don't mind me asking? For me, and cars, it's Porsches, classic sports cars, and muscle cars, though I have an appreciation for just about anything.

I think a lot of it is, there is somewhat of a trend in the industry for companies paying lip service to women, and only really offering guns or accessories in pink. It's just kind of a simple generalization. My wife feels the same way, and says she'll NEVER buy a pink gun. ;) She'd much rather have a blue one, maybe something in a carbon fiber pattern, or something else more to her tastes, but not generalized "pink". If a girl likes pink guns though, nothing wrong with that!

Nitro , sounds like we like a lot of the same things. :) Unfortunately I have yet to shoot a Thompson, but I certainly want to. At full cyclic rate, those things are a BEAST! ;) Just curious, what types of car stuff or other mechanical stuff do you like, if you don't mind me asking? For me, and cars, it's Porsches, classic sports cars, and muscle cars, though I have an appreciation for just about anything.
It might be best to hit me up in private so we don't hijack this thread :D

I buy and wear a lot of pink in honor of my departed pink warrior mother ;)

My wife feels the same way, and says she'll NEVER buy a pink gun. ;) She'd much rather have a blue one, maybe something in a carbon fiber pattern, or something else more to her tastes, but not generalized "pink".

This is the way I feel! There are tons of colors I would much prefer over pink...never really liked pink at all, except when looking for gifts for my girly-girl daughter (who lives pink). That said...I realize a gun is a weapon, not a fashion accessory. My goal is to make it as inconspicuous as possible, which is hard enough already with my small frame.

Personally, I feel safer knowing so many people in my area conceal carry. Even when I have mine with me, it's usually not in a place I could get to it if someone snuck up on me in a parking lot, especially if I have the kids with me. But knowing that other people around me are also alert and prepared if needed...that's comforting.

This is exactly what I was talking about -- the trend of making stuff pink for the purpose of "attracting women" to it, without actually seeing what is attracting the women that are there and what is deterring those who aren't. Because...you know...we wouldn't be attracted to something if it didn't come in pink or otherwise look "pretty"...

Just because I'm female, it doesn't mean I won't like something "male" for its functionality, purpose, or anything other than whether it looks "cute" or whatever. I like my Android phone, because of what I can do with it (manage calendar stuff, contact people, play games, etc). I like guns, because I can provide food and protection for my family with them. I like computers, because I enjoy making it do a number of things (I'm a programmer). Making any of these things pink for the generalized lip service toward me (and the subsequent attempts to sell it to me, because it's pink) is probably the fastest way to turn me off to these things (or at least to the salesperson and company behind said pink item).

I buy and wear a lot of pink in honor of my departed pink warrior mother ;)

Yeah, that's another exception, too. It's one thing to put out a line of pink stuff for breast cancer awareness or other such matter. Though I have to say, breast cancer awareness pink is garrish on large stuff. The store my husband used to work at made everyone wear BCA pink polos in October. It was cool, but the shirts looked like someone drowned the shirts in Pepto Bismol, then tried to wash it out. :laughing::oops:

I think some of the most inviting and supportive things that firearms and gear manufacturers could do for the female side of the industry is to simply make guns and gear that is more appropriately tailored for many women. For example, one of the biggest factors that so many manufacturers overlook: ergonomics! Many women have smaller hands, so it stands to reason, placing an increased emphasis on achieving a smaller diameter grip with a greater degree of ergonomics would probably be a feature that's enjoyed by a lot of women. There are some newer options on the market, such as the Walther PK380, where some manufacturers are beginning to do exactly that.

Also, along the same lines, designing gun gear for women, such as holsters. Women tend to have hips, so it stands to reason that having some holster designs that account for this might be beneficial as well. There are actually a few companies out there that do this, but it's not quite mainstream yet.

Nothing wrong with the "cosmetic" side of things, when it comes to guns, either. The cool thing is, nowadays, there are a ton of companies offering firearm refinishing services with tons of different options to achieve pretty much any look you could want. And lets be honest, why just have a gun when you can have a GOOD looking gun! ;) Nothing wrong with that!

Guns are much too noisy to my liking. Now bows? Hell yeah. Give me a compound bow. And a metal detector to go find my arrows I've buried under the grass. But I hate pink. Give me a pink bow, we'll see how many arrows I bury in your grass.

I'm thinking of making a longbow for simplicity.. making recurve limbs seems a lot more complex, a lot of trial and error, but I agree on the length being a problem for hunting.
Your alatle sounds excellent, though tricky to aim, I would imagine, but I do like the flexibility in ammo.. another reason I prefer the bow over the gun.. you might be the first man in history to take down a moose with a birds nest :D

Sorry for not posting on this one earlier every time I got to it the phone would ring or something and then I'd forget about it. The reason I like the serpent bow over the long bow is it compresses a bows length down makes it a little less bulky, also flatter bows have quicker recoil so are a little more powerful. On building a bow you cut or split the wood for strait wood grain, then steam it in a pipe or something and press mold it in reverse shape of draw. Then you set it in a bow tree a stand with a clamp ledge for the bow and notches down its leg to set the bow at different draws so you can check the curves and shave the wood where needed. A bucket of sand and a scale can get you the proper draw weight to draw length on the bow string. There are lots of woods used hickory or mulbarry may be easest to get or grow, elm isn't mentioned but it doesn't split so with a leather, sinue, or fiberglass backing it may do well. The original glue was likely boiled fish skin with maybe some kind of tree sap mixed in. Good luck happy hunting

Sorry for not posting on this one earlier every time I got to it the phone would ring or something and then I'd forget about it. The reason I like the serpent bow over the long bow is it compresses a bows length down makes it a little less bulky, also flatter bows have quicker recoil so are a little more powerful. On building a bow you cut or split the wood for strait wood grain, then steam it in a pipe or something and press mold it in reverse shape of draw. Then you set it in a bow tree a stand with a clamp ledge for the bow and notches down its leg to set the bow at different draws so you can check the curves and shave the wood where needed. A bucket of sand and a scale can get you the proper draw weight to draw length on the bow string. There are lots of woods used hickory or mulbarry may be easest to get or grow, elm isn't mentioned but it doesn't split so with a leather, sinue, or fiberglass backing it may do well. The original glue was likely boiled fish skin with maybe some kind of tree sap mixed in. Good luck happy hunting

Thanks for this Maelstrom & 113.. how did you become so knowledgable, if you both don't mind me asking.. what life factors led to your experience here?

I personally have a few guns and hunt and shoot them. I personally respect them when I have them and use them.

Thanks for this Maelstrom & 113.. how did you become so knowledgable, if you both don't mind me asking.. what life factors led to your experience here?

Traditional archery used to be an interest. That series of books is great reading. Also check out this magazine and the back issues list. You can make a nice wooden bow from store-bought lumber in a few hours.

(I strongly dislike guns. I'm only interested in traditional bows.)

New Threads

Top Bottom