• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

autism and guns

I am brilliant with guns. Well I used to be. I always the one to win things at fair grounds, due to my accurate shot. Father was a collector of them and made his own bullets

I basically hate them with a passion.

I'm a fairly good shot with a rifle (went to a shooting club one time when I was little) but I'd never own a gun even if I could.

My opinion of a firearm is that they are only a tool,much like a saw or a hammer which can be lethal as well.
Guns do not kill,mental illness does.
I live in my personal arsenal ;)
I hold a concealed carry permit.
If I decide to kill someone with a can of baked beans,should they outlaw those too? :p

EDIT: irresponsibility and mental illness do the killing,the gun is only the tool
I felt the need to clear that up without fanning a fire.

Maybe I should have never posted my original opinion and now wish I hadn't :(

Sorry wyv if I stepped out of bounds here

Last edited:
My opinion of a firearm is that they are only a tool,much like a saw or a hammer which can be lethal as well.
Guns do not kill,mental illness does.
I live in my personal arsenal ;)
I hold a concealed carry permit.
If I decide to kill someone with a can of baked beans,should they outlaw those too? :p
393975645_099b51cbc7.jpg

Well, I can tell you this. I am autistic in that I have AS. I own twelve handguns and five long guns. I like to shoot them and collect rare guns. I understand what they were designed for and I am very safety conscious. I only shoot at a approved firing range and I do not hunt. I have a concealed weapons permit and I understand the responsibilities of being a armed citizen. I know that I have moral responsibility to retreat until I can not retreat any more. I have no desire to shoot anyone and would do that only if my or my families life was in dire danger. I think anybody with a gun has to have the right mindset. Clearly, not everyone should have a gun, including some autistic people. But being autistic should not be the only reason.

I've known a number of Aspies whose special interests include firearms. I'd love to get a gun permit myself, just to try something new.

As a mod it is my duty to remind everyone to keep the politics to a minimum, and it's best to avoid the issue of gun control altogether. It's an EXTREMELY sensitive issue that invokes a high amount of passion from all sides, and one that can only go sour very quickly. Thanks. :)

hello,

what are the stats of autism people that use guns?

cheers:smirkcat:

I live in the west where we actually use guns for their intended use. I lived and worked on a ranch and had a number of different types at the time which where used for different kinds of game and pest control. I don't see what Autism has to do with it, I am a nice person I was always careful not to endanger any one, just like every one else. I do support restricting unstable bad people from owning guns, but I do not think any group automatically falls into that class. To respect Wyverary's wishes I will end there, other than saying if you choose to own a gun take the time to learn safe proper use, and storage, trigger locks are a good idea, as is unloading or removing a round from the chamber. One always has to keep childrens safety in mind even if you have no kids in the house they can come visit you.

I have a love for guns, specifically revolvers, but the laws around gun ownership are very complicated to me. I've been to certain gun ranges that will rent you weapons, and I enjoy shooting them, but I'm kind of a horrible shot. :S

I hated guns when I was a kid, and for many years as an adult. After we had kids, I realized we have a deeper responsibility to be able to protect our home from intruders, so I gave DH the go-ahead to get a gun. We both took classes and got our carry permits. We teach the kids how to respond if they find a gun (so they're safer when they visit a friend's house, too, who might not have their guns locked down). And one of our favorite dates is going to the gun range together. I feel a lot safer when I have mine with me, especially if I were to get stuck on the side of the road or something late at night.

We teach the kids how to respond if they find a gun (so they're safer when they visit a friend's house, too, who might not have their guns locked down).
I wish more people did this. I think too many people rely exclusively on restrictive laws to keep kids safe while neglecting to educate their own kids in many various things involving safety issues

Maelstrom, DogwoodTree and Ste11aeres bring up a very important point, children and gun safety. All of our children are grown and have families of their own, but child gun safety is still a concern in our home because we have grandchildren. Most of our guns are kept in a safe. The ones that are not in the safe, are secure where children can not get to them. All of our grandchildren have been to the firing range and are taught the four rules. They all know what a gun can do and not to touch a gun without a adult present. Guns require a lot safety and responsibility.

Maelstrom, DogwoodTree and Ste11aeres bring up a very important point, children and gun safety. All of our children are grown and have families of their own, but child gun safety is still a concern in our home because we have grandchildren. Most of our guns are kept in a safe. The ones that are not in the safe, are secure where children can not get to them. All of our grandchildren have been to the firing range and are taught the four rules. They all know what a gun can do and not to touch a gun without a adult present. Guns require a lot safety and responsibility.
I actually deleted a lot of what I had to say about the same to avoid causing a stir ;)

I actually deleted a lot of what I had to say about the same to avoid causing a stir ;)

I am doing the same more or less Nitro, but at the end of the day the war is won by focusing on safety, keeping them in the hands of good people, and having some with cute pink stocks to make the ladies happy at the gun range.:p

I have no issue with the idea of owning a gun given, as has been said above, proper safety training. As clg114 said, I'd retreat as far as possible before I had to resort to using one though.
My weapon of choice, however, is the recurve bow, with which I'm fairly proficient and it is intended, eventually, for hunting as I don't wish to go hungry again in my lifetime.

New Threads

Top Bottom