• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

autism and guns

I am a Norinco sporter AK guy

I love my Makorov 9mm...crappy fits and finishes,but very reliable on store bought rounds...You could pound nails with it if you had to
I have two Maks, a 9x18 (9mm Makorov) that is my truck gun. The other is a 380acp with a double stack mag. I think this one may be rare as I've never seen a another one like it. They look the same except for the 380's fat grip. You are right about Maks, reliable and tough.

I am a Norinco sporter AK guy

I love my Makorov 9mm...crappy fits and finishes,but very reliable on store bought rounds...You could pound nails with it if you had to

You guys have better stuff than me, I had a AK47 with a adjustible hunting scope mount + 70 round drum 2 30 clips etcetera....but a family safety situation made me clear out most of my stuff. Didn't want the wrong person getting their hands on my stuff. Sigh!

Why is that?
The bolt is gas operated from a port in the barrel. The prime reason an AK-47 does not jam when dirty from external sources is because of how loosely the entire weapon is assembled. Besides the distinct pop from being gas operated,the action clinks and rattles in the receiver right next to your ear above the sound of the firing process. :p

You guys have better stuff than me, I had a AK47 with a adjustible hunting scope mount + 70 round drum 2 30 clips etcetera....but a family safety situation made me clear out most of my stuff. Didn't want the wrong person getting their hands on my stuff. Sigh!
I got rid of my drum magazine over it not feeding properly. I could hide behind my pile of thirty rounders and have some with 40 round capacity. When the mags were readily available and almost everywhere,I also got mounts that let me stack two of the 30s side by side. Ninety rounds made the rifle too heavy to manage :D

I have two Maks, a 9x18 (9mm Makorov) that is my truck gun. The other is a 380acp with a double stack mag. I think this one may be rare as I've never seen a another one like it. They look the same except for the 380's fat grip. You are right about Maks, reliable and tough.
My Mak is so carry worn all of the outside edges are no longer blued :D

Hi (Spiller), I have a top of the line compound bow, lots of fun to shoot, I prefer it to loud guns. Bows do however require more wood skills with the shorter range and less accuracy, getting close enough to your game requires a little thought and planning. I will say I regret not going with the recurve bow they are harder to draw but my friends arms don't match mine on the compound bow so they can't target shoot with me...kind of ruins things. I'm working on a egyption sling, alatle hybred that may be better than the bow, it can do everything throw harpoons, spear darts, rocks and bird or fish nets, and will have more power and range likely?

Hey Maelstrom, I enjoy the skill needed for a bow.. and perhaps something of what Judge said earlier about the history of the weapon. I've fired scoped air rifles and found that fairly easy - never fired a proper gun before though, living in the UK has a lot to do with that.. I've not used a compound bow, though have drawn a 40 odd (can't remember) pounder.. hard on the arm! :) I prefer the simplicity and skill required of a barebow (no sights or weights), a friend has a longbow he's never used that I'll get restrung as I fancy comparing it to the recurve. I also fancy getting into the catapult and sling..
I'm interested in your sling/alatle hybrid.. is the alatle the throwing stick used by Australian Aborigines? I'd like to see what you've come up with! :)

Hey Maelstrom, I enjoy the skill needed for a bow.. and perhaps something of what Judge said earlier about the history of the weapon. I've fired scoped air rifles and found that fairly easy - never fired a proper gun before though, living in the UK has a lot to do with that.. I've not used a compound bow, though have drawn a 40 odd (can't remember) pounder.. hard on the arm! :) I prefer the simplicity and skill required of a barebow (no sights or weights), a friend has a longbow he's never used that I'll get restrung as I fancy comparing it to the recurve. I also fancy getting into the catapult and sling..
I'm interested in your sling/alatle hybrid.. is the alatle the throwing stick used by Australian Aborigines? I'd like to see what you've come up with! :)

Hi Spiller I agree with you that bows are more fun, I had considered starting to make Greek serpent bows as recurves they may have the fastest arrow velocity for power? And they look totally cool all curled up and you can get long bow power without the bulky length. The alatle?, spell check failed, is the spear throwing stick thing, but I am talking a 2 handed throw with maybe a 6 foot staff so the power level is much higher, ranges should exceed a football field easily, and a spear point should go clear through a moose. Different staff lengths could be swapped in, I need to still test things to be sure. The main advantage over a long sling is you can throw all your power into the first arc so the game have less chance to spook and flee, also arrows get broken and lost easily, with this you can fall back on rocks or a bird net.

Hi Spiller I agree with you that bows are more fun, I had considered starting to make Greek serpent bows as recurves they may have the fastest arrow velocity for power? And they look totally cool all curled up and you can get long bow power without the bulky length. The alatle?, spell check failed, is the spear throwing stick thing, but I am talking a 2 handed throw with maybe a 6 foot staff so the power level is much higher, ranges should exceed a football field easily, and a spear point should go clear through a moose. Different staff lengths could be swapped in, I need to still test things to be sure. The main advantage over a long sling is you can throw all your power into the first arc so the game have less chance to spook and flee, also arrows get broken and lost easily, with this you can fall back on rocks or a bird net.

I'm thinking of making a longbow for simplicity.. making recurve limbs seems a lot more complex, a lot of trial and error, but I agree on the length being a problem for hunting.
Your alatle sounds excellent, though tricky to aim, I would imagine, but I do like the flexibility in ammo.. another reason I prefer the bow over the gun.. you might be the first man in history to take down a moose with a birds nest :D

I have a crossbow project that is nearly finished that uses a main leaf spring out of a car for the bow...the string is 1/8th inch aircraft cable :p

I have a crossbow project that is nearly finished that uses a main leaf spring out of a car for the bow...the string is 1/8th inch aircraft cable :p

Oooo that sounds interesting.. d'you think it'll be possible for a human to draw it? That's gonna need a winch :D What do you think the draw poundage will be?

Last edited:
Oooo that sounds interesting.. d'you think it'll be possible for a human to draw it? that's gonna need a winch :D What do you think the draw poundage will be?
I have no idea how much pull it has,it requires the use of an automotive bumper jack to cock it :p I used a release mechanism that I copied from my 80 pound crossbow pistol :D

I have no idea how much pull it has,it requires the use of an automotive bumper jack to cock it :p I used a release mechanism that I copied from my 80 pound crossbow pistol :D

Have you tested it? Sounds like you may be able to take out small moons with it :D

Have you tested it? Sounds like you may be able to take out small moons with it :D
no...it scares the crap out of me :D
The intention was to shoot solid aluminum bolts about a foot long :p
The few times I released it statically,it tried to rip itself out of a huge vise and I put it up on a shelf ;)

I made an interchangeable barrel potato/tennis ball gun once that was fired with Final Net hairspray and an igniter out of a gas grill...It cost me a lot of windows :p

We used to play a game with 3/8th inch hexagon nuts,a small screwdriver and compressed air. If you blew air past the flats on the nut and held it right,it would make noises like a dental drill...if you tilted the screwdriver and dropped the nut while it was at top speed,it would bounce around the inside of a building for about a minute. I was showing a young boy that trick one day and his asked me if it was like a gun or something...my reply was no,you get to aim a gun. He then asked,"where should I stand?" I told him it really didn't matter

Hi (Nitro) sounds cool if you get it working well it should go well over a 100 yards. You should look into anchored raw hide rappings or maybe steel cable. This is done so if a bow arm cracks it wont flip around on the bow string and cut your head off. You may need a extra cantaleaver on your trigger your power levels are likely quite high. A double side winch can be built for draw.

I'm thinking of making a longbow for simplicity.. making recurve limbs seems a lot more complex, a lot of trial and error, but I agree on the length being a problem for hunting.
Your alatle sounds excellent, though tricky to aim, I would imagine, but I do like the flexibility in ammo.. another reason I prefer the bow over the gun.. you might be the first man in history to take down a moose with a birds nest :D

Hi Spillar No it's not hard to aim you just release when it comes around even with the target, much easier than a true alatle. Basicaly a hinged tin can upside down on the end of a stick with one sling rope to control release. Of course what I end up with will be far more sofistcated. I am also fond of the martial arts knife rope and flying hammer so I may doll up the harpoon system a bit.:D

Hi (Nitro) sounds cool if you get it working well it should go well over a 100 yards. You should look into anchored raw hide rappings or maybe steel cable. This is done so if a bow arm cracks it wont flip around on the bow string and cut your head off. You may need a extra cantaleaver on your trigger your power levels are likely quite high. A double side winch can be built for draw.
Nope...I dry fired it a little,but will never shoot that bundle of insanity.The trigger assembly worked fine as it was...it would have been fun,but it was too extreme and potentially lethal to the shooter. :p

hello,

what are the stats of autism people that use guns?

cheers:smirkcat:

I'm actually interested why you're interested in these stats?

I like stats, as, I'm guessing, plenty of aspies do, but I'm curious though. Which stats exactly are you looking for even? Incidents? Ownership?

New Threads

Top Bottom