• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your ALTERNATIVE ACCENT

Slithytoves Nitro Tangents in a thread are like grace notes to a melody.
This site is actually a treasure trove of very interesting individuals from varied cultures and places. I love to share information about many topics and hope others enjoy hearing about where my ride on the Autism Spectrum has taken me ;)

It's weird a lot of people I have met think the NZ accent is great and like to get ya to say different words n stuff cause the like the way it sounds. I hate it, it is kinda like a monotone mix of scottish, British n a stoned slow speaking Aussie.

I would soo love a french accent it's so fluid n sexy. It's like there are no consonants
just like a constant stream of fluttering vowels
or a yiddish one, seems to convey an honesty feeling when i hear it.
oh, oh yeah, and South African, its just fun to talk like that.

I remember a German foreign exchange student coming up to me at lunch one time and i thought she must have been really pissed off at me for some reason, she kept on havin a crack at me so i eventually said Aw would ya just **** off, sorry if ive pissed you off or whatever but seriously give it a rest n **** off.
It turned out she was trying to get to know me and just wanted to if i wanted to go to the beach after school.:oops:
I think the German accent sounds too full on and aggressive, I felt really bad after that.

qwerty That's a sad tale, hope it had a happy ending. :)

Yeah it did eventually :)
She was actually really cool and i thought at the time very sophisticated lol
We ended up having some fun, she liked that i was an outcast i thought that
was weird but nice. We would hang out at the playground by the bay and
just muck about. She didn't stay for long though.

I suffer with something of a chameleon accent, tending to talk like the people I'm around, but I'd love to be able to maintain the clear, well-spoken british accent I had when I was young though I've always enjoyed the Scottish and Welsh, having enjoyed the time I've spent in those places.
When I was a kid I wanted Mel Gibsons (Lethal Weapon) American accent.. later, I thought it'd be fun to have Pavel Chekov's (Star Trek) strong Russian, but now, I just enjoy listening to all accents.

I'm rather interested in the way local accents in my area of the UK are changing and how british accents are rubbing off on people with even the strongest foreign accents with the greater influx of people to the UK and the increasing movement of UK residents toward the southeast in the last decade or two - I know a woman who turns out the odd perfectly clear british accented word in her Nigerian accented speech and any number of british youth who talk 'black'.

I'd love to have a peek at the future, where borders are open, people travel where they will and color and accents are varied and blended all at once :)

Last edited:
I'd choose a Russian accent. And i'd call myself "Babushka" only because I have always loved that word. It has a pleasing sound to it.... and sometimes say it to myself when nobody is there to hear :rolleyes:

And I spent a week in Wales, and by the end of that week I was starting to sound slightly Welsh. I agree with a lot of what Spiller said, and I do tend to subconsciously act a little like a sponge and adapt to have similarities to those around me.

And I spent a week in Wales, and by the end of that week I was starting to sound slightly Welsh. I agree with a lot of what Spiller said, and I do tend to subconsciously act a little like a sponge and adapt to have similarities to those around me.
I have a brother that adopted a thick West Virginia accent within a few months of living there,so I got to see it happen to one of my kin. :p

I take on the accents and speaking patterns of the people around me a lot, so I'm a total hodgepodge of random accents from all over the world right now! I'm not sure if I like it though. I'd want something that sounds a little more.... European? :laughing: I really like British English, and Russian.

Well, one of my UK friends just accused me of having a "Continental" accent which I didn't have when we spoke a month ago. I don't know, I wasn't trying to use any of my accents but, apparently I'm using one. *shrug* That's what happens when I get to working with folks across the pond from me.

either South African or Rhodesian with a hint of Scottish
I actually kind of like the South African dialect of English, but really if I had to pick one it would be Annapolis or Baltimore. I suppose if I had spent my life on the coast, that would be the place where I never felt like I fit in, but I've lived in Knoxville since I was six, and so my home was always waiting across the mountains for me to grow up and return. Besides, even if it ended so soon, I spent most of my early childhood around the water, and most of the time I spent in the woods I was on my way to the little inlet near our old house. I wouldn't want to speak like I was from anywhere else besides Maryland. I was spared one thing, though. After we moved away, developers came into the woods near our old house and flattened it, replacing all the trees and spider webs and wild raspberries with lawns and rich people and "no trespassing" signs with bullet holes in them. It hurt to see what they had done, but actually watching them tear it up? No thank you.

I've spoken with a generic American accent for most of my life, but as of a few months ago, I sometimes find myself slipping into a Texan drawl. My family has noticed and pointed it out to me (not in a rude way though, more in a playful way). I have no idea where it came from, because none of my family is from the South and I've never been there myself. *shrugs*

Irish, or a Southern American drawl, maybe Texas or Louisiana. I'm from Lancashire in the North of England- think the Starks from Game Of Thrones, even though they're more Yorkshire, it's similar- not that I watch that show, it's just a useful reference point. I don't like my accent much "Y'alright LUV!? Ow's it goin' DUCK?" etc.

There is no accent more intimidating or prestigious sounding to me then Received Pronunciation. If I could talk like this, I would.

New Threads

Top Bottom