• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your ALTERNATIVE ACCENT

Canadian Eastern Prairie, aka "no accent at all", which is why we host call centres.

Yeah, Canada is a big country too. Having been in BC and Alberta, they also didn't seem to have any accent at all. But some folks from Ontario seemed to pronounce certain words/vowel combinations (ou, oa) like us on the southern side of the Potomac. Same for people in southern Pennsylvania. Go figure.

Maybe some of our English dialects need umlauts or something. :p

Last edited:
Welsh, if for no other reason than I have an enormous crush on the voice on Jon Ronson (a very good journalist who is one of the few Welsh Jews the world has ever seen).

Yeah, Canada is a big country too. Having been in BC and Alberta, they also didn't seem to have any accent at all. But some folks from Ontario seemed to pronounce certain words/vowel combinations (ou, oa) like us on the southern side of the Potomac. Same for people in southern Pennsylvania. Go figure.

Maybe some of our English dialects need umlauts or something. :p
We don't all talk like that n' nat.... 'smostly a Burgh thing ya jag-off...Yinz better red up yer talkin or I'mma bring my cuzint daun here with Franco's Italian Army n show you how the Stillers play :p
I have actually been told I sound like a hillbilly :D

I've met several people who thought that I sounded like I had a German accent for some reason even though I was born in the U.S. and my fairly WASP-y family goes back several generations in the U.S. on both sides (and if I was able to pick a European nationality to belong to, it would probably be Italian, not German). Maybe I'm a bit like Julia Child, who I remember someone once describing as sounding "as foreign as Borat" despite being born in the U.S. :D

We don't all talk like that n' nat.... 'smostly a Burgh thing ya jag-off...Yinz better red up yer talkin or I'mma bring my cuzint daun here with Franco's Italian Army n show you how the Stillers play :p
I have actually been told I sound like a hillbilly :D

LOL...I said Southern PA, (meaning Philly) not the whole dang state! :p

The only words I know in your dialect might be "immaculate reception". Did I say it right? :D

Hillbilly? Yeah, I've been through Wheeling WV. Close enough I suppose. ;)

Last edited:
LOL...I said Southern PA, (Philly) not the whole dang state! :p

The only words I know in your dialect might be "immaculate reception". :D

Hillbilly? Yeah, I've been through Wheeling. Close enough I suppose. ;)
I am from southwestern Pa, so the shoe does fit :p

I used to live 20 minutes from Wheeling and spent quite a bit of time there...the women are backwoods and the guys are just hicks ;)
Now I live 20 minutes away from Morgantown WVA n'nat :p
I often lose sight of the fact that Greene County Pa is almost a part of West By God :D
I have never spoken Pittsburghese...it is actually quite humiliating that so many do in the areas surrounding the city

True I suppose...in the most literal geographical sense. I've just never heard anyone from Pittsburgh refer to themselves as from Southern PA. A dynamic state and people....in all four directions. One I've always enjoyed flying over from west to east.

True I suppose...in the most literal geographical sense. I've just never heard anyone from Pittsburgh refer to themselves as from Southern PA. A dynamic state and people....in all four directions. One I've always enjoyed flying over from west to east.
Pittsburgh has reinvented itself from a steel producing town to a seat of high technology and medicine.
We pretty much have a mix of geography and differing nationalities. Before my latest accident,I had entertained a life in the southwestern part of the country until business obligations dictated that I stay in Pa. When I got hurt,i wasn't sure if I was able to resume a life without support from my family,so I stayed local to them in case my recovery wasn't favorable.Much to the surprise to all involved,I made amazing strides in recovery and I am very happy with my present location. N'nat :p

Pittsburgh has reinvented itself from a steel producing town to a seat of high technology and medicine.

Yes! Reminds me of a cancelled tv series put on by CBS starring Alex O'Loughlin. He played a Pittsburgh surgeon. Yet I was convinced the star of the show were the widescreen computer displays they used in so many scenes. :cool:

But at the time Alex didn't seem to have any accent for an Aussie. :p

I used to trade accents with a partner who hails from an upper-middle class London neighborhood when he would visit the States. It started as a game to show him the peculiar power of a British accent in America but we revisited it occasionally for laughs. Suffice it to say I can pass, even to real Brits -- but though I like that sound and a few other UK dialects, I think I'd rather stick with my own very neutral Upstate NY accent. I've had it for quite a while, after all.

I like the sound of a friend's Welsh accent which has been distorted by years of living in NYC and Los Angeles. It's almost impossible to imitate, which is cool. I could listen to it all day. I also like listening to Japanese people. I heard a Japanese couple with a thick Edinburgh accent when I was last in Scotland. That was weird. It made me wish I had an unexpected accent, myself -- something Asian would be awesome! :D

I don't think I'd like to have a different accent. I love my Welsh accent, I am quite good at doing an English one but that's just when I feel the need to sound a bit posh. And only a Welsh person can pronounce the longest village name in the UK

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Have a go at that guys ;)

I've been there and couldn't get it, even after watching a YouTube video that taught it as a song. Harrison can say it easily but he lived in Wales for quite a while so I'm not sure how much credit I can give him for mastering it.

I love Welsh accents. Wales is my favorite country I've ever visited. Americans tend to skip it when they tour the UK, which is a shame IMO. (Though you may be glad we stay clear. :p)

I lived in Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh back when I was a music roadie and USAirways still had a hub in the city. One of my housemates had a serious local drawl/twang/whatever. Give him a few beers and I couldn't understand half of what he said. I loved it, but I wouldn't want it myself.

I lived in Highland Park years ago and as a fixture in the Pittsburgh music scene. Name the band and some of the clubs they played in. It s quite possible that I attended one of their shows ;)

Suffice it to say I can pass, even to real Brits -- but though I like that sound and a few other UK dialects, I think I'd rather stick with my own very neutral Upstate NY accent. I've had it for quite a while, after all.

I was wondering about that. All the people I used to deal with from upstate NY pretty much has an utterly neutral accent. But fellow employees from the NYC area...oh my. Their accents varied wildly with the respective borough they came from. :cool:

I lived in Highland Park years ago and as a fixture in the Pittsburgh music scene. Name the band and some of the clubs they played in. It s quite possible that I attended one of their shows ;)

I worked with major-label artists. National and international acts. Pittsburgh was just the most convenient and affordable home base that was fairly close to my family in NY. I often picked up tours very last-minute, so being at a hub city was essential. I never actually got out to the local scene very often. There was an awesome rockabilly band I used to see now and then. Can't recall their name. The lead singer was a heavyset, pale, reddish-haired dude. Circa late 1980s. He went to high school with one of my housemates.

I miss Three Rivers Arts Festival, Pramanti Brothers sandwiches, Gullifty's burnt almond torte, Kennywood's Jack Rabbit roller coaster and playing frisbee golf at Schenley Park. Pittsburgh was also a great place to buy vinyl records back in the day. Jerry's Records and The Attic were awesome.

I was wondering about that. All the people I used to deal with from upstate NY pretty much has an utterly neutral accent. But fellow employees from the NYC area...oh my. Their accents varied wildly with the respective borough they came from. :cool:

Accents vary even in the Upstate. Some near the borders sound New Englandy or even Canadian, but those like who don't sound too "local" are very hard to place at all. I've been asked before if I'm from the Midwest, the Mid-Atlantic, even the Pacific Northwest. Think Weather Channel presenter. :) It's the colloquialisms that pin me to a region. Words like "wicked" pop up from our New England neighbors now and then, as does Yiddish/Jewish and Italian slang from downstate.

Accents vary even in the Upstate. Some near the borders sound New Englandy or even Canadian, but those like who don't sound too "local" are very hard to place at all. I've been asked before if I'm from the Midwest, the Mid-Atlantic, even the Pacific Northwest. Think Weather Channel presenter. :) It's the colloquialisms that pin me to a region. Words like "wicked" pop up from our New England neighbors now and then, as does Yiddish/Jewish and Italian slang from downstate.

Interesting. The ones I was thinking of were predominantly from Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, and Albany.

LOL...yeah, "wicked" that's strictly New England....or at least it was some years ago.

I actually met some major label artists,Bruce Springsteen being my most famous.I met him doing an after concert cameo at the Decade in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh. Major artists were known to show up there after playing their shows and we bolted from the stadium to Oakland often to see them perform in a more intimate venue. I saw the Pretenders play there and quite a few punk artists at the The Electric Banana. The owners of the former Electric Banana, John and Judy Zarra are personal friends of mine.Lineups there included the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Flag, the Circle Jerks, The Misfits, Hüsker Dü, Dead Milkmen, Butthole Surfers, Meat Puppets, the Leonards, Ian Dury and They Might Be Giants. Pittsburgh bands that got their start there include the Rave-Ups, the Cynics, Half-Life, the Affordable Floors, and The Five.
I used to hang out at the Deer Park in Delaware where George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers were the house band that had just signed to a label. I have been around the block and have been known to use "wicked" to describe cool experiences :p

And on another note,it is actually Primanti Brothers and the only one I ever went to was the old truckers restaurant in the Strip District. It opened at midnite to serve delivery drivers and was a popular after club hotspot for a drunken post-club scarfing session :p
Try to explain to someone a cheese steak sandwich with the fries and the coleslaw stuffed into it...if it isn't shoved across the old grill at the original place it can never be duplicated :cool:

Sorry to derail the thread, but this is too good.

I actually met some major label artists,Bruce Springsteen being my most famous.I met him doing an after concert cameo at the Decade in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh. Major artists were known to show up there after playing their shows and we bolted from the stadium to Oakland often to see them perform in a more intimate venue.

By the time I lived in Pittsburgh, The Decade was already in tax trouble and was slowly dying. I worked for David Johansen and one point, and when I said I lived in Pittsburgh, he immediately told me about a show he did at that club that was one of his all-time favorites. Some of the artists I worked for played Grafitti, though most of them played there before I worked with them. All were fond of Pittsburgh. Warren Zevon loved that town, though we had a very rough night at the Syria Mosque Ballroom once. It was the one time I've been stuffed into a police car for something other than peaceful protest. :D Ah, those were the days!

And on another note,it is actually Primanti Brothers

Try to explain to someone a cheese steak sandwich with the fries and the coleslaw stuffed into it...if it isn't shoved across the old grill at the original place it can never be duplicated :cool:

Thanks for the spell check. It's been a long time. I was just a baby when the original PB place in the strip district closed, but people still talked about it years later. I'd hear customers say they still loved the food but it just wasn't the same in Oakland. I still say their cheese steak sandwiches are the best meal a person can have after midnight. Zevon, Bonnie Raitt, John Prine and John Hiatt all gleefully indulged when we played the city.

Sorry to derail the thread, but this is too good.

By the time I lived in Pittsburgh, The Decade was already in tax trouble and was slowly dying. I worked for David Johansen and one point, and when I said I lived in Pittsburgh, he immediately told me about a show he did at that club that was one of his all-time favorites. Some of the artists I worked for played Grafitti, though most of them played there before I worked with them. All were fond of Pittsburgh. Warren Zevon loved that town, though we had a very rough night at the Syria Mosque Ballroom once. It was the one time I've been stuffed into a police car for something other than peaceful protest. :D Ah, those were the days!

Thanks for the spell check. It's been a long time. I was just a baby when the original PB place in the strip district closed, but people still talked about it years later. I'd hear customers say they still loved the food but it just wasn't the same in Oakland. I still say their cheese steak sandwiches are the best meal a person can have after midnight. Zevon, Bonnie Raitt, John Prine and John Hiatt all gleefully indulged when we played the city.
The original restaurant remains open and is a 24 hour place now,I hear the satellite ones are not all that good,because their grilles are not seasoned like the old one in the strip.
Yeah,you did work for some serious headliners of their day ;)

The original restaurant remains open and is a 24 hour place now,I hear the satellite ones are not all that good,because their grilles are not seasoned like the old one in the strip.
Yeah,you did work for some serious headliners of their day ;)

Huh. Did the strip district restaurant close for a while in the mid to late 80s? Or maybe I was thinking it was sold to a new owner when I was a kid, and people didn't think the food was as good as it used to be. I dunno. I left there about 25 years ago, so my memory of PGH isn't perfect anymore. I do know I never went to the original shop. The Oakland one was very close to home.

Yeah, I did get to work with some good acts. Add Jethro Tull to the list, Tom Waits, a few others.

But we really are on a tangent. Accents. We should be talking about accents. Sorry, tree, for messing up your party.

New Threads

Top Bottom