• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your ALTERNATIVE ACCENT

tree

Blue/Green
Staff member
V.I.P Member
What accent would you choose for yourself?
Would it be from a different part of your own country?
Or from another country?
Or what?

A neighbor I asked today instantly replied: Irish.
I would pick American English with Yiddish accent.

Why?
So smart and always with the punch line.

What about you?

Irish, somehow certain Irish accents (there're quite a few of them :) ) sound warm, comforting and friendly :) even though I might look a little strange with Irish accent, I think Italian would suit me better :) but well, I have Russian already, and it sounds so odd to me, even though I spent 25 years of my life there. Russian people in general seem odd to me, I've just met 2 Russian women in a park and the tone of their voices, expressions on their faces seemed unusual. How can it be so when I grew up there? :) OK, I got off the subject :)

I actually use two alternative accents at time. While I was born and raised in Montana, USA and have only a basic American accent naturally, I have lived in the south for years and so, have developed a southern US accent, and because of my numerous UK contacts, most from England, I also have a rather generic British accent. I can use either at will when speaking but, if I had to choose, I would choose an Australian accent. I love the country and, the people I have met from there are nice people, open minded and accepting.

Scottish! I have always loved the scottish accent, it's seems very warm and cuddly to me, no idea why! However, I would prefer to simply have 1 fixed accent. Unfortunately I tend to unconsciously mimic the accents of people I talk to and TV programmes and things. It's rather embarrassing, I have had people ask if I am making fun of them before :disrelieved:

I sometimes randomly say words with a generic British accent that really confuses people because I have a strong American (east side) accent lol.

A soft UK Northumberland or borders accent - the area I come from, but actually, I don't have an accent :)

Southern (but not that atrocious Hollywood Southern) and either Irish or Scottish. I'm also fond of German, British, Australian, Indian, and a few African and Asian accents.

My favourite accents are Irish, Scottish and French. I wouldn't choose them for my own accent though, as they would just sound 'normal' to me and they'd no longer be special. I think I'd like to have an accent that has a soft and relaxed sounding pronunciation such as a Lancashire accent.

Southern (but not that atrocious Hollywood Southern) and either Irish or Scottish. I'm also fond of German, British, Australian, Indian, and a few African and Asian accents.

Which southern?
Twangy TN?
Soft 'ing' droppin' TX?
Hillbilly LA?
MS...hunneh?
etc

Ya, I think the Minnesota accent would be good for me.

Ja. Yoo betcha. :D "Fargo" is as much as I know...but Hollywood frequently get things wrong too, as AsheSkyler pointed out. I've only been to Minnesota once...not long enough to get a feel for that dialect.

I've been told my Norn Iron accent is pretty good. But then learning the vocabulary is much harder. It's all craic, whatever dialect you spake. ;) I used to drive my mother nuts when she'd ask me questions about the movie "Ronin". She always kept asking me about what was in the "kess". :D

I still crack up over people mistaking a Virginia Tidewater accent for Canadian. Eh? :confused:

For some reason I've never been able to do an English or Australian accent..go figure. I often wonder if I were to go to Ireland or the UK, what various accents might pop out of my mouth. Guess my brain works in some mysterious ways. Fancy that.

Last edited:
Ja. Yoo betcha. :D

"Fargo" is as much as I know...but Hollywood frequently get things wrong too, as AsheSkyler pointed out. I've only been to Minnesota once...not long enough to get a feel for that dialect.

I've been told my Norn Iron accent is pretty good. But then learning the vocabulary is much harder. It's all craic, whatever dialect you spake. ;)

I still crack up over people mistaking a Virginia Tidewater accent for Canadian. Eh? :confused:

cheat sheet = How to Talk Minnesotan (with Pictures) - wikiHow

I don't think I'd like to have a different accent. I love my Welsh accent, I am quite good at doing an English one but that's just when I feel the need to sound a bit posh. And only a Welsh person can pronounce the longest village name in the UK

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Have a go at that guys ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom