• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why are people so dumb?

(apologies for possibly interrupting the pregnancy topic, just wanted to return to the OP for a minute.)

hi, Libecht. I'm sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time and are so frustrated right now. I hope you are able to find some peace soon. i'm also hopeful that spending some more time here on AC might allow you to interact with more people, particularly NTs, who might change your mind and ease some of your frustrations. :)

I'm really really tired of this stupid world. I'm not saying that I'm the most clever man, but my IQ is without a doubt higher than 99.5% of people... Second, people are soooo irrational. They are often controlled by emotions and make wrong decisions. Usually I manage to stay calm and rational. Is it really that hard to use their brain???

As others have pointed out, IQ is (perhaps unfortunately) not everything--at least, in this world in which we live. Living in a society necessarily means living among and with others, and that requires some social intelligence that often trumps IQ. of course, we can get mad about that. but, anger without action is generally unproductive.

living among others also requires recognition of our differences without immediate, evaluative judgment--one difference being how our brains are wired and how they work. you might be interested to learn that many theories of argument maintain that emotive reasoning is just as, and sometimes more, persuasive than logical reasoning. some even insist that reasoning should always recognize an emotive component (if you're interested, I can suggest some further reading in this area). for many people, how they feel is fact. it's undeniable and all-consuming in a way that a "fact" or statistic just is not.

classic example: i might go on a date with someone and perhaps they check all the proverbial boxes: they are intelligent, kind, and funny. logically, i should keep dating them, right? but what if i don't feel comfortable around them? that feeling box tends to trump the others, every time. this is why many people get annoyed when they end up in the so-called "friend zone"--they forget about the feeling box. just because two people seem like a great, logical match on paper doesn't mean they will vibe well as humans, in concert with one another.

and such emotive reasoning does use the brain. emotive reasoning is a cognitive process. you can recognize that, perhaps, your brain works differently than others in this regard, but i would hold off on dismissing their cognitive processes as dumb or dysfunctional.

I can keep complaining about "normal" people for days. I really can't stand them anymore.

the dangerous thing about our predispositions is that they can quickly become self-fulfilling prophecies. if you are assuming (by logical fallacy of composition) that every "normal" person you've met is dumb and, therefore, all "normal" people are dumb, it is more likely that you will interpret each new acquaintance's behavior as dumb. we often see what we want to see, hear what we want to hear.

if this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy for you, the problem might disappear altogether, insofar as people ("normal" or otherwise) tend to keep their distance from others who think they're dumb or lesser in any way. there won't be anyone to be frustrated with, if no one wants to hang around. :oops:

i'll also say that you might have a skewed sample of "normal" people right now. the late-teens are a difficult, emotional, and transitionary time for most people. if i made decisions about how i would interact with other humans in my adult life based on my perceptions of others in high school... well, let's just say i'd probably hate everyone, too. give it time.

I don't mean to offend anyone, just wanted to be totally honest.

one last note: i have written this reply with absolutely no malice, but i will also admit that i was stung by your original post. unfortunately, our intentions do not necessarily dictate reception. even if you don't mean to cause offense, that does not shield others with some sort of protective armor against your words.

and to clarify, i'm not offended because I'm a "dumb" "normal" person. i was saddened by the thought that, if I met you in real life, we probably would not even be given the opportunity to get to know each other, because there's a good chance you would have written me off from the start.

Love it when you use stealth sarcasm, NTgirl.

Anyway, Libecht, she just gave you the most brilliant example of how to respond to anger. Stay calm.

Sorry we briefly hijacked your thread.

I'm sure people can be both caring and logical.
If there were such a society then woudn't there have been need for medicine in it's early days, before it developed the technology to treat every illness and disability?
I hope my post doesn't sound antagonistic in any way. I'm just interested in the idea of this society.
Sounds like a good prompt to explore care and logic to me. :)

Care and logic would be vital to medicine. Of course, a lot of things I consider logical fall under the caring category to most people. Giving dogs their vaccines, in example. I hear most vets are better at giving shots than people doctors because their patients bite. The logical approach to me would be to cause as little pain as possible regardless of the patient because of the constant threat of retaliation and self defense. When I've had to be a caretaker for various things, I usually get complimented for my kindness. Whether or not I'm kind, I dunno. An efficient human is a healthy human, and a violent-free (or quiet) human is a pain-free human! Plain ol' sense to me. :D

classic example: i might go on a date with someone and perhaps they check all the proverbial boxes: they are intelligent, kind, and funny. logically, i should keep dating them, right? but what if i don't feel comfortable around them? that feeling box tends to trump the others, every time. this is why many people get annoyed when they end up in the so-called "friend zone"--they forget about the feeling box. just because two people seem like a great, logical match on paper doesn't mean they will vibe well as humans, in concert with one another.
I would say it's illogical to dismiss your gut feeling in any situation. It's said animals don't ignore their instincts. I find it odd that many people do just because it can't immediately be scientifically validated.

There was this one guy my husband was loosely acquainted with because he was dating one of my husband's relatives. I had to meet him once and all my hairs stood on end. Made me skin crawl so deep it made my bones hurt. I would not leave my husband's side the whole time I was there. He told me later that dude was a bad womanizer and general creep.

No matter how superior you consider yourself to others, you have to live in a world of various personalities and abilities. I believe those people who find themselves in the majority of "types" have a much more pleasant life than those of any minority, no matter how superior they may be. We have to learn to tolerate the differences of others or we will always be frustrated. I am an Aspie and find most NTs annoying but I realize they are in the majority and will probably always enjoy more privileges than I. Being correct isn't always the way to win. I can't change myself into an NT or change then into "us" so I choose to avoid most of them. Being retired has some really great advantages. When I had to work to support myself I had to put up with a ton of irritation from people who weren't like me, but the only way I could survive was to tolerate and/or avoid them. I now try to anticipate how "different" NTs are from me and prepare myself to tolerate the frustration I find in dealing with them. At least understanding that I am an Aspie has made my life in the NT world less stressful. I can't stop being an Aspie and I also can't morph into an NT, so I simply have to exist in a world in which I do not enjoy the privilege of being in the majority.

Love it when you use stealth sarcasm, NTgirl.

oops! absolutely no sarcasm in my post, and I apologize for not making that more clear. I genuinely did not want to interrupt; i find it compelling when threads begin to take on a life of their own. :)

Welcome, friend. :)

Smart people are "okay," but I admire people who are wise enough to perceive that everyone has value.
Being kind is better than being smart.

Remember, it is easy to hide behind one's intelligence... it takes real courage to work to learn to connect by appreciating our differences.

My compassion :sunflower: for your argument with your Mom. I suspect you simply wish to be understood.
I am sure she feels the same way.

Last edited:
I just had an argument with my mom this morning (I'm an 18 y.o. aspie). I'm really really tired of this stupid world. I'm not saying that I'm the most clever man, but my IQ is without a doubt higher than 99.5% of people. Sometimes (actually uasually) I feel that talking to ordinary people is like talking to a five-year-old. I do not mean to despise them, it's just...really frustrating to me. One quote of Sherlock, the BBC TV series, best explains how I feel---"I'm living in a world of goldfish".
I don't mean to offend anyone, just wanted to be totally honest.

Second, people are soooo irrational. They are often controlled by emotions and make wrong decisions. Usually I manage to stay calm and rational. Is it really that hard to use their brain???

I can keep complaining about "normal" people for days. I really can't stand them anymore. Please help. Aaaaaaah

It sounds like your concerns more accurately reflect neurological differences between those on the spectrum and those who are not, versus any real considerations of raw intelligence. Whether one is on the spectrum or not, their neurological traits and behaviors are likely to stand out in any social interaction ahead of their actual intelligence.

And yes, neurology and intelligence can more often than not be mutually exclusive of one another.

Another thing to consider without regards to neurology is the energy level of those you engage with in conversation. Many adults who work long hours aren't likely to appreciate complex and intense discussions on their time off. They may sound stupid to you, but their indifference or misunderstanding may really just be a projection of mental and physical fatigue.

Last edited:
The information in these postings are way above my IQ level. I don't understand the meaning of the postings.

It's true that people often make wrong decisions based on their emotions (spoken like a true Vulcan :) ) but that doesn't mean that they are lacking in intelligence, it just means that they are operating a different system to us. After all, there is such a thing as emotional intelligence, or intuition.

Everyone, even the most hardcore aspies, make emotionally driven decisions at some point, and everyone makes wrong decisions at some point of their lives. That's part of being human.

People aren't really dumb, they just do dumb things sometimes.

Edit: It seems illogical that an intelligent person would do a dumb thing, but it happens all the time. This is due to their emotional style of thinking.

And I am living proof of this. I am not a stupid person, but I seem to be able to do more than my share of stupid things. My wife will vouch for me on this one.

Thank you all! You guys are so welcoming and kind!:)
Since there are too many replies (thanks again), I can't answer each of them.:(
So I'm just gonna clarify a few things.

1.I'm not saying that ALL NTs are stupid.Many of them are still much more clever than me! Sorry for the misunderstanding.
2.About emotions, I am not against them. I'm only against people controlled by negative emotions like anger or fear.
3.I do realise IQ isn't everything. It's just.....talking to smarter people is much easier.....hope you get my point.:(
4.I think many of you are right. I find most NTs dumb probably because we have too many differences. I'm sure they think I'm dumb too@@
Anyway, I really appreciate you guys for supporting me and giving me advice, I feel much better now:)

I forgot to ask...maybe you would feel less frustrated if you could meet others with similar abilities to yours?
Are you going to uni at all?
You mean like a gathering for aspies? I haven't met any aspies in real life so I'm not sure.
one last note: i have written this reply with absolutely no malice, but i will also admit that i was stung by your original post. unfortunately....... because there's a good chance you would have written me off from the start.
No,no, many NTs are smart and admirable, you're one of them;)

1.I'm not saying that ALL NTs are stupid.Many of them are still much more clever than me! Sorry for the misunderstanding.
2.About emotions, I am not against them. I'm only against people controlled by negative emotions like anger or fear.
3.I do realise IQ isn't everything. It's just.....talking to smarter people is much easier.....hope you get my point.:(
4.I think many of you are right. I find most NTs dumb probably because we have too many differences. I'm sure they think I'm dumb too@@
Anyway, I really appreciate you guys for supporting me and giving me advice, I feel much better now:)

That's the spirit. I'm very glad to see your rant was indeed just a venting of momentary frustration. Even more so that you're feeling better.

Out of curiosity...what was the crux of your argument with your mother, if you don't mind my asking? As you see, this group is quite responsive. Perhaps we can offer advice on understanding and avoiding the kind of clash that can set you off painting with a broad, black brush.

You may find that simply being a member here will satisfy your need for engagement with other 'smart' people. AC is certainly home to a lot of very good minds.

I'm very glad to see your rant was indeed just a venting of momentary frustration.
Well my "rant" was not a venting actually. I've been planing to write(or complain) such thing for days. The argument yeasterday was just an "motivation".
To put it simply, if every "smart" man is +1, whereas every "dumb" man is -1, then the sum of 70 billion people is, to me, negative. That's why I said "people are dumb". But there are still smart people after all. Do you understand me?
Out of curiosity...what was the crux of your argument with your mother, if you don't mind my asking? As you see, this group is quite responsive. Perhaps we can offer advice on understanding and avoiding the kind of clash that can set you off painting with a broad, black brush.
My mom and I have such argument for many times, so as a matter of fact I'm already planning to post a thread about it. You may see it in a few days :)
You may find that simply being a member here will satisfy your need for engagement with other 'smart' people. AC is certainly home to a lot of very good minds.
Yes yes, this place is indeed full of "smart people":D

In all honesty how do you know it is them being dum in various situations? You have offered a unspecified and unverifiable High IQ as evidence I suppose, but that does not mean much in real life. I have seen many with high numbers who are very good in certain things but actually quite poor in others. There is no guarentee of balance, perspective or even just common sense.

It is also quite common for young people to think they know much, when the truth is the opposite. Realistically, I at least would need to hear real life examples, and a consistant pattern.

Quite a few years back I saw a story on the person with the highest recorded IQ. I am not sure if it was in the world or USA, but anyway he was a 40 something male janitor at some office building. He said he didn't do anything more complicated because he did not want to be used/exploited by people. Maybe. Or maybe that was all he could or wanted to handle. Or maybe he was paranoid, or had something else going on mentally.

I'd be considered dumb at an academic level I was kicked out of school in grade 10, but there's a whole lotta of genius that can't be judged by an IQ test. Just look at all the art and photography posted on these forums and you'll see creative geniuses.

...(edit) It is also quite common for young people to think they know much, when the truth is the opposite. Realistically, I at least would need to hear real life examples, and a consistant pattern.

An excellent point. We have been making certain assumptions on this thread, based on a subjective personal statement presented as fact. Thus my attempt to explore a specific example of one of his conflicts.

I knew everything when I was a lad. Or so I was determined to believe. That's no knock against you personally, Libecht. It's almost invariable among the young. It serves a purpose to be so confident, at a stage when one is establishing identity.

Quite a few years back I saw a story on the person with the highest recorded IQ. I am not sure if it was in the world or USA, but anyway he was a 40 something male janitor at some office building. He said he didn't do anything more complicated because he did not want to be used/exploited by people. Maybe. Or maybe that was all he could or wanted to handle. Or maybe he was paranoid, or had something else going on mentally.

A pervading pattern of underachievement is well-documented among the cognitively gifted, as you probably know. As for the janitor, I'll go with your options. ;)

It's amazing how often the subject of relative intelligence comes up on AC. Or perhaps not. Those of us who dwell on the fringes of mainstream society often cling to whatever we feel distinguishes us as exceptional. I'm starting to think it's a curse, however. Setting ourselves even further apart is foolish, if we're to be rational about it.

To put it simply, if every "smart" man is +1, whereas every "dumb" man is -1, then the sum of 70 billion people is, to me, negative. That's why I said "people are dumb". But there are still smart people after all. Do you understand me?

Hmm. Well, I don't usually whip this out in public, but the results of an assessment done at school when I was roughly 12 years old were summarised, verbatim, as, "Master [Nadador]'s cognitive capacity exceeds measurement by conventional instruments."

Yet, I haven't once in my life presumed to do any calculations like the one you presented here, especially when the sum would be in my own favour. I learned early on that high fortresses generally have lousy economies. I've been much wiser for the lesson...wisdom being the state in which raw intelligence becomes valuable to anyone beyond oneself.

Bottom line, forget this smart-stupid distraction. It will cause you many more problems than it will solve.

In college they told us that us A students were unwelcome in the business world because our grade said we were too high-strung, arrogant, and perfectionist to be worth hiring. Verbatim. No more worries for me, my GPA got trashed because I refused to leave a newborn in a car for a semester to take tests at campus for online classes. I am now an A student masquerading as a C student. If I ever decided to play that stupid game again, anyway.

There's a good chance "reasonable" is what you really want from people.

They usually state their conclusions, not their reasoning process, and so you can't know whether they are wrong because of their premises or because of faulty logic.

New Threads

Top Bottom