• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Playing same song 50+ times in a row

Sounds about right. I did this more often whenever I worked in retail. You hear the same songs almost everyday and some of them aggravate the daylights out of me until I can manage to narrow down one set of lyrics to Google and then Youtube. It's like I have to play it over and over again just to get it out of my head, or to at least know it well enough to sing along to it.

I do that as well, it's a good thing for headphones because otherwise I'd drive my kiddo nuts. Those are good songs. Sometimes, alternatively, I sing to myself over and over the same song. Here's the recent ones:

Ugh... no thanks. I haven't listened to the same song over 50 times in the past few years, let alone on a single day.

I just can't stand listenin to the same stuff over and over (unless we start debating a certain sameness quality within music genres). I remember it already driving me nuts when I had a job and the same chart songs showed up once every hour... made me want to puncture my eardrums with a needle already... (and in all honesty, while chart stuff isn't my preference anyway, me disliking it wasn't neccesarily because of the song in question)

Actually 50 times+ in a day?
Not since I was 16.
And at my girlfriend's house.
hmmm....It was her house and her music...
So maybe I actually never have.
Not 50 times, anyway.

I might do fifteen times in a row, but that's only if I really like the song. I might do it a few times a year.

Guilty as charged! :D Perseveration with Youtube music is such a delightful stim for us Spectrumites. Really gets my energetic juices flowing, too!

However, I must be mindful, and work to limit time online. Excesses of this type of stim/activity shrinks my already naturally narrow autistic perspective, and I need to keep it as broad as possible for balance, awareness, and good mental health. :sunflower:

Last edited:
50+? How's about Days, weeks, months even!

if the affect it has on me does not fade away; why not repeat?

I love music for this very reason, it stokes the emotional bag like nothing else in this life. and all compressed into a tiny little file you can carry with you in a phone or other devices.

I tend not to usually listen to just one song on repeat, but I listen to albums or playlists until I have effectively memorized them. Then when I hear them again, I know exactly where each note will sound and I am not distracted by it as I do other tasks. But after I've reached that point, I do get tired of it and have to start the whole process over again.

However, sometimes I do listen to just one song (or two or three) on repeat: when I am dealing with an intense emotional response. I find that it helps me process the emotions. Like I'll just listen to those two songs for an afternoon (perhaps alternated with a need to walk all around the city), and at the end of the afternoon, whatever emotion I was trying to work out will suddenly hit me and I'll burst into uncontrollable sobbing or something. :oops: But that's a GOOD thing.

Last edited:
Here's a great song I'll be playing today, some of the younger people may not have heard it -- Out of My Brain on The Train

I used to do this when I was a kid, but not in recent years - at least not as much as 50 times in a row. I remember listening to Falco - Amadeus and Jon & Vangelis - I'll find my way Home over and over again. I did the same with albums.

I think that is one of the tendencies of autism. I can do 10-15 times standing on my head. ;)

I do this a lot. I don't really count it, but it's not unreasonable to think I might've listened to some songs over and over more than 50 times consecutively without even knowing it. This really works to my advantage when it comes to learning a piece of music for a band :)

As a former student of classical music, I'm used to playing the same MEASURE in a row, so...no thank you!

Ok, kidding aside...sometimes I'll have a song on repeat, not so much because I want to hear it, but because I'm doing something particularly stressful and I find the particular track soothing (like doing homework, for example...usually something along the lines of Arvo Pärt).

i will get into moods where i'll listen to the same song as long as i can for that day or a few day string... as far as songs that wont leave my head, it's been "fuel-shimmer" for atleast 4 months now. other songs pop in for a while.. maybe even 3-4 playthroughs but "shimm

I do this :) Sometimes a song just get me and I'll play it maybe 15-20 times throughout a week, plus singing it to myself all day. That's what really drives people nuts.

I'm quite happy playing the same songs over and over. Classical music I can happily leave on a loop all day.

New Threads

Top Bottom