• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Playing same song 50+ times in a row

I enjoy a wide variety of music but am always going through phases where I will listen to a single song or album on repeat indefinitely. Probably 100 times in a row or something really crazy like that. Usually this behavior peaks when I am not coping very well, it seems to put me into a bit of a trance or at least it has a calming effect, but it's a worry sometimes that I really can't stop it or don't realize it has been going on/for how long I have been "stuck".

Other times I can go days in silence, ie. no talking, no TV, no music etc, without it ever occurring to me that those things exist, until the world interrupts.

Thank you for making me feel not-so-crazy as I do this quite often, mostly at work when I’m in a creative / productive phase and need to hunker down and concentrate by mindlessly blocking out all other audio distractions. If my co-workers knew what I was doing / listening to they would probably have me committed so thank god for the new modern ear phones that don’t let sound escape……

I will sometimes listen to the same song several times in a row, but never anywhere close to 50 times. I do become obsessed with specific albums though, and have been known to listen to them repeatedly on a daily basis to the point that they are practically ingrained into my bieng. The funny part is when I hear a song from such an album in isolation and then feel strangely perterbed when the next track doesn't start up.

Guilty as charged! It happens often enough that I have to consciously remind myself not to persevere on songs for too long, lest I be plagued with them running through my mind all day. It's extremely irritating, especially when I'm trying to focus on something else.

Did you know....Michael Crichton, when writing a book, would stay in the same cabin and eat the same food and listen to the same music everyday until he finished the book? He did this to minimize ,subjectively, the amount of time to write. When he finished he reported that what took more than a month only felt like a few days.

When I was in 7th and 8th grade I would blast "Bodies" by Drowning Pool upward of 75 times a day on my scuffed-up Sony Discman. However this was a dark time in my life and I'm thankful that it's over. It's a bit ironic, because if there's one thing sound-wise that autistic people hate it's loud and sudden noises, and that song is pretty much the mother of all jump-scares.

Nowadays I have, like, probably 4,000 or so songs in my music library (last time I checked) - most of which are extreme metal and hardcore punk songs, but some are hip-hop, electronic, video game soundtracks or nostalgic pop tunes. Once again, I digress.

To bring it back to the main point, I find myself often listening to the same song tens of times in a row, but often just for one part, like a brutal guitar solo, catchy hook or crushing breakdown. And I find that I keep skipping to that part of the song and back to it once it ends, as the remainder of the song is 'filler'. Maybe that's my crap attention span speaking. Obviously there's an exception for ambient music because it's less centered around percussion and structure so much as overall atmosphere.

It's quite common for me to like a song so much I end up listening to it on repeat all day everyday, for more than 4~5 days. And at times, it becomes a "staple" song, and I go back to it at other times and repeat the entire process.

I don't usually listen to the same song repeatedly, but have been known to when I'm stressed or trying to come to terms with something difficult.
This past week I listened to this one for several hours straight.

I do this all the time! Not only do I come from a musical family, but I tend to obsess about new music that tickles my artistic self. Right now I'm obsessing over the new Disturbed cover of "Sound of Silence". Been playing it nonstop practically and singing it in my head while trying (unsuccessfully) to sleep. Didn't know this was an Aspie thing....

I don't usually listen to the same song repeatedly, but have been known to when I'm stressed or trying to come to terms with something difficult.
This past week I listened to this one for several hours straight.
I do this as well. Not only when I am feeling stressed, but sometimes music really touches me and those are the songs that help me best when I am struggling.

For me, maybe 5 times at the most for one song.

Anyone do any of these on repeat? lol:

1. Friday by Rebecca Black
2. It's Thanksgiving by Nicole Westbrook
3. Chinese Food by Alison Gold (yes, 3 ARK Factory songs in a row, lol)
4. Nyan Cat

When I listen to music I usually replay the same 1-2 songs over and over until I get bored of them, and it's usually specific parts of songs, too.

The same song? Sometimes I play a few seconds 50+ in a row. I wonder if that's normal, I never asked if people listen to songs from beginning to end.

New Threads

Top Bottom