• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

just for fun--you might be aspie IF--

...you see a package of food that says "Just Add Water," so you pour water into the bag expecting it to become edible.

Which is why I always triple check what they mean... It always seemed strange when they asked me to put milk in a paper box with powder. My first thought was: but the paper will be soaked. So I triple check ;)

I actually did something like this once. I bought groceries, put them on the roof, and drove off because the crowded parking lot rattled me. As I was driving down the road, people were honking their horns, flashing their lights, and waving, which rattled me even more. Oddly enough, the groceries stayed on the roof for several blocks until I saw them roll off in my rear view mirror. Losing the groceries rattled me more, so I went home and sat on the couch the rest of the evening.

I had totally forgotten about the pizza until I pulled into our driveway, and then I started thinking "what did I go out for anyway?" Then, it hit me. I hoped against hope that it was still on the roof, but no luck. I think the pizza actually fell off the roof when I was still in the parking lot. Guess some lucky people got a free dinner, if they didn't mind that it was a little dirty.

8 a. You use a chef's knife to slice a watermelon. You struggle to fight through the rind. Just about a third of the way, you spot a good melon-cutting knife hiding in the dishware. But you then think, "Whatever! Now you tell me! I'll fight through to the bitter end!"

b. You are used to using your favorite manual can opener. You look through every drawer to find it but it seems to have vanished from the earth. On the counter you see a rusty electric can opener. You get angry inside, and think, "Whose idea was this?? I don't want to use this thing!" But you keep searching for that wonderful manual can opener, but finally, you give up looking for it. Rather than trashing that electric can opener, you finally find your more rational self, and grudgingly insert that can below that rusty cutting blade. You press down the lever. The can opens in two seconds. You are surprised that no rust fell in that can of yours. Okay, so much for Mr. Handy - I guess I'll trust Rusty instead!!

You might also be an 'Aspie' if you read someone else's response to a particular topic that has been presented in an online thread, the response is then apparently 'forgotten' for a while and relegated to your sub-conscious, but then when you yourself decide to leave your 'own' comment it turns out to be a word-for-word reproduction of the original comment left by the other person, and you don't even realise that you have done this at the time you do.

Hanging out with your parents is the majority of your social life

Also, you may know you're an aspie when your parents have a better social life than you.

You might also be an 'Aspie' if you read someone else's response to a particular topic that has been presented in an online thread, the response is then apparently 'forgotten' for a while and relegated to your sub-conscious, but then when you yourself decide to leave your 'own' comment it turns out to be a word-for-word reproduction of the original comment left by the other person, and you don't even realise that you have done this at the time you do.

I did notice someone else said the exact same thing I did, but I hadn't gotten that far in the thread yet ;)

You're staying with a relative for the weekend and you pack a day or two's worth of your favorite foods in case your relative doesn't have them.
That's me this weekend. :)

you have pervasive grocery store disorder: PGSD is no laughing matter. It is a life-altering syndrome co-morbid to being an Aspie & it renders acquiring sustenance a high risk challenge. Its main symptom is simple: weird things always happen to you at the grocery store!

-You go to take a cart. They're stuck together. In your effort to wrench one free, it backs over your toe & crushes your finger & you pinwheel backwards & slam into some other shopper. You finally get the thing into the store & for some reason it keeps making a funny scraping noise & listing to the left no matter what you do. As you strive to over-correct to the right, you slip a disc in your back. You try to find the items on your list BUT they've rearranged the store so nothing is where it used to be. You survive the hunt for sustenance & make it to the self check-out in one piece BUT the thing keeps bleeping at you telling you to remove the last item from your bag & to please wait for a store employee to come inconvenience you. You make it out of the store alive BUT for the life of you, you can't remember where you parked your car. By the time you get home with your groceries, you are fit to be tied & too drained to actually eat anything you bought.

...if you get so tired of people at work telling you to 'smile' that you make a cardboard smile on a stick and hold it up to your face when people approach you. :sticky_rolleyes:

Hanging out with your parents is the majority of your social life

Also, you may know you're an aspie when your parents have a better social life than you.

Mine definitely do, but I'm fine with that. Just listening to my mom ramble on about her social engagements tires me.

... if you've ever spent several minutes prowling around outside an elevator looking for the "up" button because the only available button says "call" and you don't want to call anyone!

You park in the same spot far from the entrance whether or not the parking lot is full of cars to keep a safe distance from people.

You can't look in a mirror without making at least one weird face.

I don't know that the person who made the following comment on another site (The Weed: Sometimes the sex talk goes horribly wrong...) is an aspie, but it certainly sounds like they took an Aspie-approach to explaning certain things.

"I know this is really late in the game on this post, but I had my first try of "the talk" with my 7 year old daughter, 4 year old son, and 2 year old daughter because they were bombarding me with questions about me being pregnant. I answered questions honestly but without very many embarrassing details and somehow veered into scientific things like genetics. I thought I had dodged a bullet until a few hours later when my 7 year old daughter told me she was really worried she couldn't be a mom later because she didn't know her entire genetic code and wasn't sure if she could learn it. Crap. I must be the only person on earth who tries to explain sex and ends up giving her daughter a complex about genetic code."

@Ste11aeres: I kind of made sex talk (actually, it was more of an ongoing conversation) bungles too back when my kids were young. The thing is I can discuss the mechanics & processes of human sexuality with the same emotionless indifference with which I can discuss the history of WWII or how to write a good essay. My NT daughter was mortified, utterly grossed-out & disgusted due to my blunt, graphic & physiologically correct explanations. With my Aspie son it was easier. I remember when he saw a tampon commercial at age 6 & asked me what they were for & how come they never show guys with them. I took out the box, opened one up & showed him exactly how it worked & why women use them (using medical photo of the female reproductive system). He learned about different kinds of pads, the ways women used to handle their menstrual cycle historically & I bet by the time he was 9 or 10 knew more about the subject than most women who are not gynecologists.

Your son may be an Aspie if: he absconds with your box of tampons (at age 5-7 or so) paints half to look like cannons & the other to look like bombs, takes out his Playmobil guys & thinks he's reenacting The French Revolution. By whapping the backs of the tampon tubes, the tampons become projectiles. He then makes all the whistling & banging noises associated with the battlefield, ranting & calling out orders in French. A cheeseboard & a plastic knife becomes a guillotine & your bedroom floor is littered with headless Playmobil guys & painted tampons.

I remember when he saw a tampon commercial at age 6 & asked me what they were for & how come they never show guys with them. I took out the box, opened one up & showed him exactly how it worked & why women use them (using medical photo of the female reproductive system). He learned about different kinds of pads, the ways women used to handle their menstrual cycle historically & I bet by the time he was 9 or 10 knew more about the subject than most women who are not gynecologists.

Your son may be an Aspie if: he absconds with your box of tampons (at age 5-7 or so) paints half to look like cannons & the other to look like bombs, takes out his Playmobil guys & thinks he's reenacting The French Revolution. By whapping the backs of the tampon tubes, the tampons become projectiles. He then makes all the whistling & banging noises associated with the battlefield, ranting & calling out orders in French. A cheeseboard & a plastic knife becomes a guillotine & your bedroom floor is littered with headless Playmobil guys & painted tampons.

lol. I found my mom's tampons once when I was around 5-6 years old and made rockets out of them. I also thought Maxi-pads were just really big bandages for knee scrapes or something. :D

@nonsensical: the pads also made good hovercraft & pretend viking ships & rafts for plastic army men, Playmobil guys & Lego men! (& they say we Aspies have no imagination!)

@nonsensical: the pads also made good hovercraft & pretend viking ships & rafts for plastic army men, Playmobil guys & Lego men! (& they say we Aspies have no imagination!)

I always brought Tupperware containers to the bath tub to use as boats and made my pet garter snake a sailor!

New Threads

Top Bottom