• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

just for fun--you might be aspie IF--

You are able to achieve remarkable things, things others never knew you could, if everyone just left you the hell alone once in a while when you were working on those things. Even after telling them that if they leave you alone and don't try to help it will get done faster and better than they ever expected.

If you're known for beating a dead horse.
I make every possible point one could make when giving an example, and I use the Socratic Method when I debate others; a method I've been using long before I knew of it.

You join an online discussion that is clearly long over, and yet expect someone to notice or respond to your comments anyway (and are disappointed when they don't). I don't know if this is characteristic of being an 'Aspie', but it's something that I have often done.

You find yourself nodding and smiling as you read the other responses.
When tight spaces and all over body pressure puts you to sleep rather than scaring you.
When your coworkers are all terrified of a bug, but you don't understand why they're afraid because it's so illogical. It can't possibly hurt you. Horses can hurt you. It's more logical to be frightened of them! (I'm terrified of horses)

You join an online discussion that is clearly long over, and yet expect someone to notice or respond to your comments anyway (and are disappointed when they don't). I don't know if this is characteristic of being an 'Aspie', but it's something that I have often done.

But if or when a reply comes and it's not come at the right time, you feel like you can't / don't want to reply and will kind of go out of your way to make sure you don't reply. I know I do (not a dig at anyone, it's just something I do all the time)

... you think this is the funny:

"Three Australians walked into a bar."

Okay, okay, it's the way I tell it:

"Three Australians walked into ... a bar!"

Alright, the long version:

"Three Australians walked into a bar. Then they went to get a drink. Then three Irishmen walked into the bar, and they went to get themselves a drink too.
While drinking, the Irishmen saw the Australians rubbing their heads, and then the Australians noticed the Irishmen who were also rubbing their heads , and one of them said to the Irishmen: "Walked into a bar, did you?" "Yes," said one of the Irishmen, " and I bet it was the same bar as you all walked into!"

.... You think your family talks way to loud in public.

It seems like my family has the loudest voices when we are in public, sometimes. I'm pretty shy, and I don't talk very loud, when there are lots of other people around. Yet, my family will yell to each other (even worse, when there're yelling to me), from a long distance away. Sometimes, there're even in different aisles. ._.

You might be an Aspie if you avoid appearing in public as much as possible-forget about with a hoard of yammering people!

You have a cell phone, but you use the timer function a lot more often than you use it as a phone. (It's so useful to have a timer in my pocket. I use it as a cooking timer, a warning when a parking meter is about to expire, a reminder to check on a load of laundry--all kinds of things. Hmm. Maybe I should use it as a nudge to call someone I know.)

You have $350 of roll-over minutes on your cell phone because you never make any calls.

Your plastic rectange rings & you stare at it in complete bafflement trying to figure out why it is suddenly making those awful sounds. Eventually, you pick it up & slide the slidey thing (or press a button) to be relieved that the thing stopped making noises BUT now, to your utter horror, some weightless miniature person has crammed him/herself crammed inside of it & s/he is blabbering at you! As the horror wears off, you wonder vaguely how the heck s/he managed to get stuck in there (maybe it is another hapless Aspie who tripped?) when it occurs to you that the little noisy rectangle is a PHONE & you are supposed to SAY stuff to it..But what?!? By the time you catch on mumble HELLO, the invisible miniature invader has vanished.

You might be an aspie IF you pick up a pizza that you ordered, but get flustered because there's lots of people in the parking lot. So you put the pizza on the roof of your car so you have free hands to unlock the car and get in, trying to figure out how to get out of the parking lot. While you're doing that though, you drive off leaving the pizza on the roof of the car...

...you often get told to "stop shouting" when you thought you were talking at a perfectly normal level.

...people ask you to stop pacing up and down again.

...people get annoyed that you won't keep quiet through a movie or TV programme they want to watch as you again feel the irresistible urge to detail your opinions, observations and the anomalies you've noticed.

...a close friend, partner or family member has to ask you if you notice anything different about them to get you to finally notice and comment that they've had a new hair cut a good while later.

...you're sometimes warned, "I will be forced to terminate this conversation..." Etc, or worse if you sometimes unexpectedly hear a message saying, "the other person has cleared" or a dead tone, while talking to companies on the phone when you thought you were just putting your point across calmly.

Last edited:
The ear wax in your ear bothers your tactile sense, but you are not going to ask a doctor to remove it because it's so great at muffling sounds, and experience tells you your current level of tactile discomfort is less than your auditory discomfort would have been.

The something similar to this situation happened to you before;

I was at the golden arches... you know... the global burger franchise with the clown. And I ordered 2 hamburgers and a milkshake. I told the clerk they were take away.

So while I was waiting the clerk asked me "do you want the milkshake in a bag?" to where I replied; "No... I want it in a cup... with a straw!".

Talking about taking things literal...

3a. More Taking Things Literally!

You are a cashier (like I am) and a customer says to you, "Just put everything in a bag." The customer has two chocolate bars, two packs of beef jerky, a couple bags of chips and a pop. The customer also has two hot coffees (!!). So you (I), the cashier, put EVERYTHING in the bag. The customer gets furious and says, "WHY DID YOU PUT THE HOT COFFEE IN THE BAG? My stuff is ruined and my coffee is spilled everywhere! The cashier replies, "YOU TOLD ME TO PUT EVERYTHING IN THE BAG. YOU DIDN'T TELL ME not to put in the coffee!"

3a. More Taking Things Literally!

You are a cashier (like I am) and a customer says to you, "Just put everything in a bag." The customer has two chocolate bars, two packs of beef jerky, a couple bags of chips and a pop. The customer also has two hot coffees (!!). So you (I), the cashier, put EVERYTHING in the bag. The customer gets furious and says, "WHY DID YOU PUT THE HOT COFFEE IN THE BAG? My stuff is ruined and my coffee is spilled everywhere! The cashier replies, "YOU TOLD ME TO PUT EVERYTHING IN THE BAG. YOU DIDN'T TELL ME not to put in the coffee!"

I'd probably ask the customer in what order he wants them... which I guess slows down the bagging process as defined by company procedure, lol.

On the other hand; it would prevent coffee ruining groceries, since if said person didn't mention coffee and I'd ask... "where does your coffee go?".

New Threads

Top Bottom