• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

just for fun--you might be aspie IF--

3. you take everything literally...

including this example; doing the dishes with your girlfriend and she says "put some deterrent in the water", you look at the bottle see it's only full for about a quarter (my definition of some deterrent) and throw the bottle in the sink between the dishes. (granted I acted like this on purpose, just to poke fun a bit).

6. People keep asking you what you're upset about when your face is completely blank & you're experiencing no identifiable feeling whatsoever.

7: You'd rather eat or drink (insert awful substance of your choice), than spend an hour at a mall.

8: You know exactly how many peas there are in the pile on your plate AND you've weeded out all the dimpled, cracked or otherwise flawed ones.

9. If on your first day at a new school you have commited to memory how many bricks, ceiling & floor tiles make up your home room!:D

I used to calculate the size of each classroom, distance between classes and distance between driveway entrance to front door of school.

Last edited:
If you look in the mirror and can't tell if your expression looks like a pout or a smile.

(my therapist told me to look in the mirror when i am upset and see if it looks like what i would expect to see on someone who is upset. It looked like a frown but then I thought it kind of looked like a smile)

@ Pella: Next time you see that therapist, you may want to clue the man in to a fabulous newfangled invention: VOCABULARY! With this new modern state of the art tool, he'll be on the cutting edge of communication. No longer will he have to look at people's faces to guess how they're feeling based upon a series of highly variable grimaces. He can utilize his vocabulary to ASK the person how she's feeling. Provide him with the following handy example:

"Hi Pella! How are you feeling today?" -Shrink
"All systems are functioning optimally under the circumstances." -Pella

I realize that this may be a stretch for such a person, requiring many hours of dedicated practice, but encourage him & reward progress with positive reinforcement.

@ Pella: Next time you see that therapist, you may want to clue the man in to a fabulous newfangled invention: VOCABULARY! With this new modern state of the art tool, he'll be on the cutting edge of communication. No longer will he have to look at people's faces to guess how they're feeling based upon a series of highly variable grimaces. He can utilize his vocabulary to ASK the person how she's feeling. Provide him with the following handy example:

"Hi Pella! How are you feeling today?" -Shrink
"All systems are functioning optimally under the circumstances." -Pella

the reason she told me to do this, was cause i feel like i am very emotional, and alot of times its hard for me to communicate with richard that i am upset, sometimes i feel guilty, like i am upset over something stupid, and that i don't want to burden him, but at the same time i am like how can he not know that i am upset, to me I thought he should be able to tell, so I thought is he an aspie or can he not tell cause I am an aspie. It might seem logical to just tell him but I just can't. I know he's not psychic but I wondered why he couldn't tell by the expression on my face.

I realize that this may be a stretch for such a person, requiring many hours of dedicated practice, but encourage him & reward progress with positive reinforcement.

the reason she told me to do this, was cause i feel like i am very emotional, and alot of times its hard for me to communicate with richard that i am upset, sometimes i feel guilty, like i am upset over something stupid, and that i don't want to burden him, but at the same time i am like how can he not know that i am upset, to me I thought he should be able to tell, so I thought is he an aspie or can he not tell cause I am an aspie. It might seem logical to just tell him but I just can't. I know he's not psychic but I wondered why he couldn't tell by the expression on my face.

Face reading is a very uncertain science unless the facial expression is so blatant & obvious within the context. A frown can reflect concentration, anger, curiosity & many things. Some people just have frown lines from years of squinting from crappy vision or from not wearing sunglasses. A smile can be a friendly greeting, may reflect happiness, it may also be mocking, cruel & hypocritical.

Of course I intended the above to be satirical, however I do believe that using words for communication is vital. If we could so readily tell much about a person's inner state based upon his expression (barring, of course, obvious examples such as a person's hair is on fire & they're screaming) nobody would ever find themselves having trusted a con artist. No one would ever discover that their boyfriend or spouse is leading a double life. Nobody would get into a car with a maniac who 'looked harmless'. There's a woman whom I often see in the waiting room at the Dr's office: she has had a lot of plastic surgery & her face is frozen into an oddly alert looking smile. With this look on her face, she mentioned how her husband had passed away & she was so devastated. So many communication errors seem to happen in relationships because one partner misreads what he or she thinks to be 'cues' based on a facial expression or a partner puts on a facial expression & the other partner completely misses it. Maybe I see things differently because my guy is an Aspie but we ask each other stuff about what we're thinking & provide straight answers: it just seems so much easier for me.

That's very true Soup! There aren't over 1 million words in the English language for nothing you know! But it does of course help if you can read the unspoken too as one of the things that does get scuppered when someone is distressed is verbal input. And of course it's a survival thing especially when the wife is looking at him curiously because he's wearing a red imprint of smudged lips on the back of his collar and he's always late from work and she's getting quite clued up on the fact he may be cheating.

Then again he could just have been spoofed by a work colleague with a red pen and been late with his work. One has to tread with care when reading such things and be even more careful with broaching the subject.

11: You hate that all the buttons in your car have symbols instead of words! Especially when there's plenty of space to write the word "defrost", for example.

12: If, when you're zoned out, you do stuff like:

- crack open eggs for breakfast, toss the eggs into the compost bowl & toss the shells into the frying pan & wonder vaguely what that odd burning smell is.
- pour coffee all over the counter, missing the mug entirely.
- trip over invisible obstacles you could swear were right there.
- go to throw a load of laundry into the machine, forget that you have to open the door or lid first & all your dirty clothing lands in a heap on your feet.

New Threads

Top Bottom