• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

is it hard to trust neurotypicals?

Yes, but not for intended nastiness. I have found that when I tell a NT I am different, and why, if they pay attention at all they are most likely to feel that since I understand I am different I can simply learn to act like them. My RN NT friend frequently says after an Aspie moment on my part, "Nance, now that you know not to do (whatever "wrong" thing I just did), can't you just remember not to do that again?" She is unable to comprehend that Aspie behavior is part of our neurological makeup and can take years to overcome, it we choose to do so. Yet, when I point out one of her many mistakes in English, she does nothing.

Yes but also not because I assume they are bad, just that I find a lot of them inconsistent. Like I had a boss at my last job who smiled all the time. Even while she was being critical of me she'd have this big dumb grin on. I don't know what to do when your face says happy and your words say mad.

One of my problems is that I want to trust everyone. So I don't have a trust issues with NTs. My issue with NTs is understanding, I do not understand them and they certainly don't understand me.

I am not very trusting at all. I tend to assume everyone has bad intentions until they give me reason to believe otherwise. It's a method of self-defence, more than anything else.

I have a hard time trusting anyone, but NTs that i'm closet to for any reason - like work - moreso just because they're closer to me than some random stranger. If they were to find anything personal out about me firstly they probably wouldn't understand because AS and self harm aren't something most people understand. And also because i'm used to people finding out personal things about me and either betraying me on the spot or eventually leaving me anyways. Its self defense more than anything else, really.

I am not very trusting at all. I tend to assume everyone has bad intentions until they give me reason to believe otherwise. It's a method of self-defence, more than anything else.

I am the same exact way. I have a very hard time trusting anyone anymore after everything that's happened in recent years. So many people pretend to be your friend, and then completely abandon you. When it happens so much it makes you content to not have any friends. :/

Please let's not let this thread turn to NT-bashing, or I will close it and take whatever action is necessary. We do not tolerate such behavior here. I'm already tempted to close this thread as it is, but I'd rather give everyone the chance to discuss the topic....RESPECTFULLY. We like to make this place as welcoming as possible for EVERYONE, NTs included.

The only thing one can be certain of with NTs, is that they lie.

That is a very gross generalization. I couldn't disagree more. There are plenty of NT's out there who are good people, compassionate, understanding, accepting. And I don't think Aspies are any less prone to lying, to be frank.

I lie to, without noticing at that exact moment. And afterwards I hate myself for it.
(what can I say, I'm a master Aspie liar) ;)
Lying is as simple as: "Your hair looks nice!" when really you think even a forest looks neater. (I know bad example)

New Threads

Top Bottom