• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hola!

Pixen

Fairy Cat
Hello! I'm a 23 year old female, from Canada. Diagnosed with NVLD and PDD NOS a long time ago. I'm not so sure where I fit on the spectrum now. My parents are sure I'm still autistic though.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi. I hope I can make some friends here! ♡

Hello! I'm a 23 year old female, from Canada. Diagnosed with NVLD and PDD NOS a long time ago. I'm not so sure where I fit on the spectrum now. My parents are sure I'm still autistic though.

Hello Pixen :) what is nvld and pdd nos ? and ill be your friend :)

Thank you Myway.

Gary, NVLD means Nonverbal Learning Disorder. PDD NOS is Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. It is, or at least used to be in the DSM 4, a kind of autism. Also, we can definitely be friends :)

Last edited:
Hey! AspiesCentral is a really welcoming place. I hope you like it here!

welcome.png

hi pixen,welcome to AC! i hope you enjoy it here,there are quite a few of us on here with non aspergan autism so you are not alone.

if you were diagnosed as PDDNOS,you wouldnt move elsehwere on the spectrum as PDDNOS means you dont meet requirements for either classical autism or asperger autism,you might get milder PDDNOS or even more severe as you get older,in some cases you might meet a shrink who thinks you have enough criteria to meet the DSM equivilent of classical/ asperger autism as every shrink thinks differently and you might have presented differently on the days you were assessed.
PDDNOS is just a cop out really,shrinks cant get a grip of what you have as your situation is more complex so you get stuck under a label thats like a no mans land,i think thats why the DSMs newer criteria of being ASD and having different levels is better as it shows how there is a continuum of which autism spreads itself across and each one of us is on there without a specific label,it means there can be no discrimination based on specific labels.
id prefer that for myself,but im diagnosed under both very old ICD and DSM;i have severe childhood autism [the ICD term for classical autism] and mild mental retardation [yuck, the worst label title ever].

I was diagnosed at the age of 16, as far as I remember it was with PDD NOS. I didn't meet all criteria for ASD. I hit my head, bite and scratch myself, etc. I have a hard time with change, I obsess over things, and I have a hard time communicating how I feel, my wants and needs, when I don't like something, etc. I just don't really stim other than playing with my hair or fingers. I was told I had likely ASD at an older age, and again at an even older age. But the physicians who were of that opinion didn't have the time or resources to assess me. I was also later diagnosed with a psychosis mood disorder which I kind of think is BS. I just have a lot of mood issues. My current psychiatrist refuses to do ASD testing as well. It doesn't matter much to me, I'm pretty sure I still have it.

I don't like 'PDD-NOS'. It feels to me it doesn't truly get accepted as a form of autism by people. Even on this site the titles of the sub forums separate autism and Asperger's from PDD-NOS. That sort of annoys me.

I'm not too keen on the the way it's going with ASD and the levels because I don't think they should do away with Asperger's as a term but I do like how PDD-NOS will be properly included. Asperger's does in some ways feel like cherry-picking a select few people on the autism spectrum.

I don't like 'PDD-NOS'. It feels to me it doesn't truly get accepted as a form of autism by people. Even on this site the titles of the sub forums separate autism and Asperger's from PDD-NOS. That sort of annoys me.

I'm not too keen on the the way it's going with ASD and the levels because I don't think they should do away with Asperger's as a term but I do like how PDD-NOS will be properly included. Asperger's does in some ways feel like cherry-picking a select few people on the autism spectrum.

My husband was diagnosed with 'atypical autism' as he didn't have problems in all areas that they look for. (I don't think PDD-NOS is a term used in the UK).

My husband was diagnosed with 'atypical autism' as he didn't have problems in all areas that they look for. (I don't think PDD-NOS is a term used in the UK).

Looking at it now, there's 'atypical autism' and there's also 'pervasive development disorder, unspecified'.

It was a long time ago that it was mentioned to me. I'm trying to find the money for a new assessment. Sadly it's over $2000 for one here, unless you're in the children's system. I feel like as long as I know I was once diagnosed I'm fine. I don't get any services for it so getting diagnosed again probably isn't worth it.

New Threads

Top Bottom