• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi all, thanks for the welcome.

David C

V.I.P Member
I'm David, 62. I currently live in South Australia. I joined the forum on Saturday but edited my intro to include where in the world i reside.I've had the hard life, but It's forced me to learn things that have led me to a place where I now feel grateful most of the time.
Learning of how ASD has affected me has been the biggest revelation and has finally helped me come to terms with myself. I had been in rehabs, therapy and constantly rejected in 12 step groups for almost 40 years. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, @David C I'm about 20 years behind you, but boy oh boy does your story sound familiar. Glad you have found us. Hope you find the forum a meaningful place to hang around for awhile.

welcome_to_af.png

Hi and welcome, it's good that you've found us, I hope you will post your comments and ideas sounds like you have plenty life experience to share.

Hi and welcome, it's good that you've found us, I hope you will post your comments and ideas sounds like you have plenty life experience to share.
Thanks, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for the stuff I've learned from people and other resources. I've had a great Medical Practitioner for the past 10 years. I moved from Sydney where I also had good support and it took 6 years to find a doctor who was willing to have me as a patient, that's flat out, or unless I agreed to be told how I feel and and allow them to constantly change my medication. I would sometimes enjoy challenging them around what makes them more qualified than the last one who said I needed different meds. Just one good significant wise/smart/loving??? support person like a good doctor can save or help heal many lives I believe. I tend to be verbose, which annoys some. Apologies for that. I started to pay more respect and learn from my elders after working with our Indigenous Community. Good on you.

Hello and welcome, @David C I'm about 20 years behind you, but boy oh boy does your story sound familiar. Glad you have found us. Hope you find the forum a meaningful place to hang around for awhile.
Thank you for the welcome and its good to hear that you relate to my path, a first for me. I enjoyed the support you recently gave. I'm no expert but you seem to be very good at framing sensitive and risk - ay advice.

Hi David C :) Fellow New South Welsh woman here (although I'm originally from Melbourne and grew up up and down the east coast, from nthn QL to Southern Tassie) and I'm only just been diagnosed end of last year, and I'm 51. I've had a pretty tough run, as well.
Welcome to the forums.
I live north of you; Nrthn Rivers area. I'm also annoyingly verbose AND I've worked with plenty of Indigenous folk (in my previous work) and I live alongside some Bungelung peeps where I am. I've met some lovely elders, in my time too.

Hi David C :) Fellow New South Welsh woman here (although I'm originally from Melbourne and grew up up and down the east coast, from nthn QL to Southern Tassie) and I'm only just been diagnosed end of last year, and I'm 51. I've had a pretty tough run, as well.
Welcome to the forums.
I live north of you; Nrthn Rivers area. I'm also annoyingly verbose AND I've worked with plenty of Indigenous folk (in my previous work) and I live alongside some Bungelung peeps where I am. I've met some lovely elders, in my time too.
Thanks for the welcome. I thought there must be some aussies around. I'm also originally from Melbourne, in SA for the past 10 years, prior to that Northern NSW! Even the Buttery in 91. I miss it. I was planning on moving to Lismore just before the last floods. I'm right near the Adelaide Hills so it's breathtakingly beautiful here, everyday I acknowledge how lucky I am. Good weather too, compared to sad grey Melbourne anyway. I'm renting with beautiful views but the owner is very old so if I'm still fit enough I'll head to Northern NSW maybe even before this ends because I'm a hippy at heart. I haven't found any in SA! I also finally found out that I'm on the spectrum at about 51. I hope that it was a relief for you. It has completely changed my feelings about being alive after 30 years of therapy etc etc. I worked in Redfern for 6 years, at the block. So lucky! But of course it involved a lot of sadness. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I get home at around this time everyday. I'm usually always up for a chat. I don't have any friends here, but It's country so there are a lot of chatterboxes around. The local indigenous people here are the saddest I've met anywhere except for maybe parts of WA. I think that affects the energy here. Really nice to meet you. Cheers.

Thanks for the welcome. I thought there must be some aussies around. I'm also originally from Melbourne, in SA for the past 10 years, prior to that Northern NSW! Even the Buttery in 91. I miss it. I was planning on moving to Lismore just before the last floods. I'm right near the Adelaide Hills so it's breathtakingly beautiful here, everyday I acknowledge how lucky I am. Good weather too, compared to sad grey Melbourne anyway. I'm renting with beautiful views but the owner is very old so if I'm still fit enough I'll head to Northern NSW maybe even before this ends because I'm a hippy at heart. I haven't found any in SA! I also finally found out that I'm on the spectrum at about 51. I hope that it was a relief for you. It has completely changed my feelings about being alive after 30 years of therapy etc etc. I worked in Redfern for 6 years, at the block. So lucky! But of course it involved a lot of sadness. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I get home at around this time everyday. I'm usually always up for a chat. I don't have any friends here, but It's country so there are a lot of chatterboxes around. The local indigenous people here are the saddest I've met anywhere except for maybe parts of WA. I think that affects the energy here. Really nice to meet you. Cheers.
@Outdated is near you. Yes, I know the Buttery well. My late stepfather (bless his beautiful heart) spent a year at the Buttery and I did a wonderful Music Therapy course, here in Nimbin, courtesy of the Buttery, a few years back.
Lismore has bounced back, fairly well, in many ways and continues to. It seems like a more heartfelt and community-minded little city, post floods.
I've been to Redfern! People there were good to us. Long time ago. I was in a band called "Earth Reggae" and we were involved with various indiginous musical artists and activists, at the time. It would've been in 1990, I think, that we visited Redfern. I wouldn't been a pregnant teenager, I think.
We are having a monsoonal summer here, very muggy and lots of thunder storms; a wet one.

You should come up! The more the merrier!

I hear that, very recently, a Neurodiversity peer group started up, in Lismore. Or it might be strictly Autism, I can't remember now. I heard about it at the Art&Craft group run by "peer workers" that I've recently started going too. it"s a brand new group, The Peer support group for Autists. It's on a Wednesday evening, so I can't go, coz I live in Nimbin and I don't drive (yet). Unless I find out someone from Nimbin is going, then I could get a lift, Now that's a thought. Sorry, I'm thinking aloud. But seriously, you will love it up here, if you can handle uber humidity. It's pretty awesome ( says a woman who rarely leaves her house these days) and yes, I am more than a little bit hippy (thanks mum!) I can't help that, it's how I was raised. I am working on getting more of an out-of-the-house life again, post band and post raising a giant tribe of kids.

New Threads

Top Bottom