• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi all, thanks for the welcome.

Mostly fantasy novels - your Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings type stuff. Occasionally a bit of standard sci-fi as well. Just re-reading an old series now called The Wheel Of Time.

That's better, just got a coffee.

I was always an avid reader. When I was 5 Dad took me and my sister to the public library and we got memberships, then every 2 weeks he'd take us to the library to change our books. I basically finished the kids section and started on mainstream novels when I was 7.

[Edit] You're just a few years older than me, I'm 59 in a few weeks. We didn't have computers back then, or video games, or even videos. Something like a mobile phone only existed in science fiction.

That's better, just got a coffee.

I was always an avid reader. When I was 5 Dad took me and my sister to the public library and we got memberships, then every 2 weeks he'd take us to the library to change our books. I basically finished the kids section and started on mainstream novels when I was 7.

Last edited:
Low blood pressure's an issue for me. I often forget to drink and as you dehydrate you end up with less and less blood. If I've been sitting still reading too long I have to be careful when I get up or I might end up on the floor.

He wasn't a great Dad at all really, but he was dutiful. He did what he believed was right, he just didn't like me very much.

I had a boss that had high blood pressure and had the little pump to check it. I told him I had low blood pressure, so he waited until I was really under the pump and busy one morning and came and checked my blood pressure. 110/79

That is so sad. I can't imagine how painful that must be, sorry to hear that. I know it's fairly common too
He wasn't exactly a bad father compared to some, but he was a control freak and both me and my sister are very strong willed people. He loved our brother though, who we never got along with.

How did it affect your sister, is she OK?
She moved interstate as soon as she turned 18 and ever since has refused to live in the same state as them. I've lost touch with all of them for the past 15 years now, but nothing holds Lou back, she could always look after herself. Last I heard she was a real estate agent in Kapunda, the parents and my brother all live up the top end.

When I was young I had a mate that kept trying to map his life out. He had a 5 year plan and a 10 year plan etc. None of his plans worked out how he wanted but he still kept insisting that that's how you do it.

When we were in our 30s we were sitting in my loungeroom playing video games, smoking dope and drinking scotch. He asked me "What are you going to do with your life?". I pointed at the table in front of us and said "This.".

He could never understand that or accept it. No, I never had any intention of buying my own home. I didn't want a jet setting lifestyle, I was quite happy with what I was doing. These days I got too old to drink very much but nothing else has changed. I've had a great life.

When I was young I had a mate that kept trying to map his life out. He had a 5 year plan and a 10 year plan etc. None of his plans worked out how he wanted but he still kept insisting that that's how you do it.

When we were in our 30s we were sitting in my loungeroom playing video games, smoking dope and drinking scotch. He asked me "What are you going to do with your life?". I pointed at the table in front of us and said "This.".

He could never understand that or accept it. No, I never had any intention of buying my own home. I didn't want a jet setting lifestyle, I was quite happy with what I was doing. These days I got too old to drink very much but nothing else has changed. I've had a great life.

Last edited:
Me too. I had a mortgage but the house went when I split up with the missus. I'm the only one in my family including nieces and nephew who doesn't have my own house so they all treat me as if I'm retarted because of it
That was pretty much my mate's story too. I almost got married when I was in my late 20s but when that fell over I decided that that whole game wasn't something I really wanted. I've had a few long term relationships since then but I never lived with them.

New Threads

Top Bottom