• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Are autistic people at a greater risk of being radicalised?"

I would say that aspergers and HFA individuals are far less likely to be radicalized because they don't tend to follow the crowd, look at situations objectively and (in some cases) apply reason and logic to actions. I would say a partial immunity to brain washing.

I'm not sure what to think about this.
If it comes down to blaming neurology for what happens during the human experience,what's to say that the neurodiverse are the most likely to "follow the crowd".

With the amounts of introversion present within the autism spectrum,this baffles me.

For the next part of the reasoning,I would think that logic would kick in after all the options were weighed instead of a single snap decision to play into an ideology.

The part about the lone wolf doesn't add up either if you are to blame autism as the sole reasoning for it.
I'm pretty sure there would be other factors that push a person to go that route.

This is an area of psychology that may never be understood,so how is a writer without any qualifications in that field supposed to understand it so well?

That was Nicky Reilly at the Giraffe Cafe in Exeter. The Mail article in the original post mentions him by name.
thankyou @Aeolienne i do wonder what happened to him-ie if he got put into prison or a forensic unit?
i hadnt read the mail article as i knew itd be sensationalist crap that would make me angry.

This is an area of psychology that may never be understood,so how is a writer without any qualifications in that field supposed to understand it so well?

Two words that burn brightly to journalists aggressively looking to find a story and the proverbial "smoking gun".

- ADAM LANZA. :rolleyes:

Never mind that his story has nothing to do with radicalization. But the Sandy Hook murders forever put Aspergers Syndrome on the map, and in the worse possible ways.

Just some thoughts that were jiggling around in my head-
Even if a terrorist is diagnosed ASD it doesn't mean they really are. "Experts" who think aspies/autist don't have empathy could easily be diagnosing quieter, less socially skilled psychopaths as autistic (I can't imagine that all psychopaths are Hell's Angels or politicians. Every group suffers from stereotypes in one way or the other.) And isn't it easier to tell a parent that a child is autistic rather than tell them their child is psychopathic?

Even "lone wolf" terrorist are taking part in extremely conformist group think. If anything earns me the label of aspie than it is my inability to conform. I just dropped out of two women only Meetups because I can't even manage being a woman "properly". I couldn't be a "proper" atheist, I'm not a "proper" Liberal. My sister who isn't NT either can't even get on board with being a "proper" cancer patient. She has gotten people mad on a FB cancer support group for saying she enjoys going to chemo. So I am not buying the idea at all that ASD and terrorism go together.

If there is an incident of an autistic terrorist I expect it would be a lot more original than Isis. If I was to engage in a terrorist act (and I won't) it would be aimed at fireworks manufacturers or the local Harley dealer. And I would think cyber attack, not loud guns and explosives. Why would I want to help Isis or some similar organization? Just doesn't make sense to me.

it would be aimed at fireworks manufacturers
I agree. I find fireworks absolutely unnecessary and senseless. I hate how insensitive they are to birds, insects and other animals. No one even seems to notice that they come with a cost. After the Nice terrorist attack, they refrained from fireworks in Paris for the New Year (because people might mistake the noise for terrorist explosives), and I thought Hallelujah, they're learning at last. But sadly this did not lead to any sort of lasting reform.

Two words that burn brightly to journalists aggressively looking to find a story and the proverbial "smoking gun".

- ADAM LANZA. :rolleyes:

Never mind that his story has nothing to do with radicalization. But the Sandy Hook murders forever put Aspergers Syndrome on the map, and in the worse possible ways.
No comment.

Even "lone wolf" terrorist are taking part in extremely conformist group think. If anything earns me the label of aspie than it is my inability to conform. I just dropped out of two women only Meetups because I can't even manage being a woman "properly". I couldn't be a "proper" atheist, I'm not a "proper" Liberal. My sister who isn't NT either can't even get on board with being a "proper" cancer patient. She has gotten people mad on a FB cancer support group for saying she enjoys going to chemo. So I am not buying the idea at all that ASD and terrorism go together.
'Not fitting pre-existing categories' is so key to understanding Aspergers. The cancer patient story is striking. It highlights that there is only one fixed, endorsed way of viewing some phenomenon, and God help you if you don't subscribe to that view and spout the de rigueur, expected sentiments in the face of it. So much (all?) of Asperger social learning is learning what to say or not say for which situations, so that you can reassure others that you are on the same page of them, you are sane, and moreover are of the same species as them - not some deranged alien or mentally deficient lunatic. Alternative ways of looking at things not allowed!

It's not that simple though because even if Aspergers have learnt what to say in which situations or have learnt to give out neutral pleasantries and inoffensive nothings (because 'being too silent' gets punished too, in addition to not having the approved take on phenomena), one could still be excoriated for being dull and 'saying the obvious'. In this case it's not what the Asperger is saying or not saying that is coming to others' attention; it is just the atypical vibes that the Asperger is giving off, where people sense they are easy targets/ bully-able/ kick-able.

Last edited:

Agreed, saying the true thing at the wrong time is my specialty. Could never be a proper 'vegan' as I ate cheese and on occasion succumbed to fake bacon bits. Can't even bring clothing to the dry cleaners as the woman who owns the shop asks too many personal questions. Don't dress the 'right' way when I cycle, or so I've been told. Shouldn't dig in an ancient garbage dump or jump rocks in the river at my age. While painting my house my neighbor told me I shouldn't as it is a 'tough' job to climb scaffolding. So I guess I'm not a 'proper' woman either. Don't know how anyone could manipulate me into being a terrorist.

Agreed, saying the true thing at the wrong time is my specialty. Could never be a proper 'vegan' as I ate cheese and on occasion succumbed to fake bacon bits. Can't even bring clothing to the dry cleaners as the woman who owns the shop asks too many personal questions. Don't dress the 'right' way when I cycle, or so I've been told. Shouldn't dig in an ancient garbage dump or jump rocks in the river at my age. While painting my house my neighbor told me I shouldn't as it is a 'tough' job to climb scaffolding. So I guess I'm not a 'proper' woman either. Don't know how anyone could manipulate me into being a terrorist.
Yet narcissistic and other 'high-status' people do quirky to outrageous things all the time, without anyone passing any comment. If they do pass comment, it's about how lovable and eccentric the are. Cf.
Why do the middle classes let posh people be so rude? | The Spectator
This lends support to my theory that Aspergers attract derogation and derision aside from what one actually does. The quirky behaviour may be a hook for some censorious comment but alone it does not ensure criticism. That is, the 'odd' behaviour is necessary but it is not sufficient. Also needed is low social status which others can 'smell' due to the neurological differentness - perhaps a lack of authoritativeness and a lack of forcefulness, perhaps a history of being 'on the back foot' and unsure socially.

This lends support to my theory that Aspergers attract derogation and derision aside from what one actually does. The quirky behaviour may be a hook for some censorious comment but alone it does not ensure criticism. That is, the 'odd' behaviour is necessary but it is not sufficient. Also needed is low social status which others can 'smell' due to the neurological differentness - perhaps a lack of authoritativeness and a lack of forcefulness, perhaps a history of being 'on the back foot' and unsure socially.

I've not noticed that, although my ability to remain apart from groups and social mores invites speculation that I am an elitist of some sort. Yet it's not that at all, less shyness and rather the innate desire to think for myself and not be part of 'group think'. Although Canada is not a 'classless' society, it is more so than other countries. Less hierarchical history than Europe. Which invites a cultural relativism that should be considered.

wsj-especially_c_7157599.jpg

I'm way passed getting wound up by the daily mail.

It's just pure hatred, and right wing garbage. Rabble rousing of the worst kind.

My parents used to get it for a year or so while I was at school, but eventually dropped it, possibly due to my ranting about it every day. But I don't get drawn in now.

It's the worst poison that exists in UK society today.

The sooner voldemort is in the ground the better for everyone.

Typical Daily Fail hating on people with disabilities.

And they wonder why everyone thinks most readers of the Daily Fail are scum?

Worst thing is, thousands of people still buy this crap 7 days a week!

Right wing BS! All of it!

What a load of crap. I don't expect anything less from the Daily Fail. Never-mind that people on the spectrum are less likely to be religious, we're less likely to be sucked into the kind of brainwashing cults that religious terror requires. Of course we're not immune, but this is ridiculous.

Absolutely spot on and exactly how i see it. Personally my autism results in me being more analytical about anything and everything, more cynical about anything and everything and more suspicious about anything and everything. I would hazard a guess that a lot of people with ASD would be similar?

I believe nothing without science and concrete evidence and i don't buy into mainstream advertising and marketing as i simply am not influenced by anything easily. I cannot be exploited or hoodwinked.

I am not religious either and never will be although i do take much inspiration from much of Buddhism.

In addition it does piss me off when stories like this are put out there making out as though people with ASD are somehow nutcases and raging terrorists.

Statistically it is likely that some people responsible for terror acts will be on the spectrum but most won't be. Just like when you get stories of kids with autism being responsible for shootings in the US and highlighting it. Why not highlight the fact that the vast majority of shootings are carried out by people who DON'T have autism.

Yet the media think WE'RE freakin' weird! Tossers.

I've not noticed that, although my ability to remain apart from groups and social mores invites speculation that I am an elitist of some sort. Yet it's not that at all, less shyness and rather the innate desire to think for myself and not be part of 'group think'. Although Canada is not a 'classless' society, it is more so than other countries. Less hierarchical history than Europe. Which invites a cultural relativism that should be considered.

Great post. That strikes me as a profound perspective. And to realize that remaining autonomous can be mistaken as a form of elitism when it most decidedly is not. Yet another classic example of how difficult it can be to navigate the neurological divide. Where remaining solitary can be so easily misinterpreted by an inherently social majority.

New Threads

Top Bottom