• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and OCD

Rodafina

Hopefully Human
Staff member
V.I.P Member
Two articles about Autism and OCD:

Understanding the Intersection of Autism & OCD​

Article Link: https://aane.org/autism-info-faqs/library/understanding-the-intersection-of-autism-and-ocd/

Reported prevalence estimates of OCD in Autistic individuals range from 2.6 to 37.2%. Various factors can make it challenging to differentiate OCD from autism, as well as disentangling the symptoms of OCD from traits and behaviors associated with autism when these conditions co-occur. Some of these factors are:
  • diagnostic overshadowing
  • limits of autism and OCD measures
  • atypical presentations of OCD in many Autistic individuals
  • heterogeneity of OCD content
  • heterogeneity of autism presentation
  • variability of cognitive and speaking abilities in Autistic individuals
  • variability in social-communication, and sensory, motor, and interoception differences in Autistic individuals

OCD Treatment Considerations for Autistic Individuals​

Article Link:
It is well established that when modified and tailored for Autistic youth, with and without co-occurring intellectual disability, this therapy is efficacious in treating OCD as well as anxiety. There is growing research evidence (and my personal clinical experience) that this is also the case for Autistic individuals across the lifespan and not just youth. Exposure has been shown to be the active ingredient in treating these conditions. However, when doing CBT with ERP with Autistic clients, it is important to include neuro-affirming modifications that are tailored to each individual’s needs.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy

Some general modifications to CBT when working with Autistic clients are:
  • Increase structure, predictability, and choice
  • While a hallmark of general good CBT practice, it is even more important when working with Autistic clients to: collaborate on agreed upon goals that are relevant to the client (including youth)
  • Tailor the therapy environment to accommodate Autistic differences
  • Ensure the client has a functional way to communicate
  • Use concrete and visual teaching strategies and relay information in a multi-modality fashion that include written information (vs relying solely on speaking)

1714693327246.png

I have OCD I think. But many people think of OCD as lining things up in the cupboard or constantly washing one's hands. But my OCD isn't like that, my OCD affects my thinking more so than my behaviour.

Is rumination OCD? I ruminate until I can't function
Rumination can occur for all different types of reasons. OCD is usually diagnosed when there is a cluster of symptoms present and rumination on it's own likely wouldn't meet criteria for an OCD diagnosis. In my understanding, typical OCD symptoms include intrusive thoughts as opposed to ruminating thoughts. The latter is usually more of symptom of anxiety. But then, anxiety is a major facet of OCD, so round and round we go. 😳

I have OCD I think. But many people think of OCD as lining things up in the cupboard or constantly washing one's hands. But my OCD isn't like that, my OCD affects my thinking more so than my behaviour.
Although this is a simplistic explanation, OCD is typically characterized by obsessions (thoughts) and compulsions (behaviors), but it is relatively common for people to have one without the other.

1714775293317.png

New Threads

Top Bottom