• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your least favorite meals as a kid

You ought to be around the old order Amish and old order Mennonites! Some of their dishes like Ham and string beans and potatoes, chicken corn soup, ham and great northern bean soup, bott-boi (either chicken, turkey, beef or ham), I can handle. Other recipients, like chow-chow, scrapple, pickled pigs or beef tongue, souse, mincemeat pie, or shoofly pie (either wet or dry bottom) is enough to turn one's stomach!

I've eaten all those dishes Meistersinger, with the exception of scrapple and souse. I like chow-chow which is a usual side dish that accompanies pork pie or tortiere. The one with great northern beans is usually made with duck and tomato sauce though. Not of fan of pickled tongue though, or shoofly pie which I find too sweet. How about black blood pudding? Called boudin noir here? It's a very large sausage type thing, that is made from animal blood and crumbs and offal, that would turn your stomach just looking at it. I know it does mine, and it's usually displayed in the windows of butchers.

can you describe the flavor of the boudin noir?
It has the texture of a creamy liverwurst or a pate inside a large sausage. But tastes like a quite solid spiced pork sausage, the spices are unconventional usually cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and ginger and pepper. It's usually served in thin slices as a side dish for breakfast or to accompany a steak for dinner.

Is chow-chow that stuff made from corn? If so, I do enjoy that.

It's different in every area it's made in. Here it's made from green tomatoes/cabbage/sweet onion/bell pepper/vinegar and sugar. In other areas especially the southern states it's traditionally made with chile peppers and in some places horseradish. It has a sweet and sour aftertaste that people like. Think your thinking of corn relish, which is quite similar but has mustard in it as well as some other of the listed ingredients.

I personally never liked mushy peas and I still don't, and I wasn't fond of sea food either. I also quite like curry meals, whereas I stayed away from them at a young age.

I wasn't (and still not) fond of spicy meals. I was always picky with food, and I only like certain/specific food and I'm not varied with it.

The one where mom made hot dogs and decided to make us eat boiled squash with them! My brother took most of the evening to choke his down. Yuck!

If you ever knew what is used to make scapple, it would turn your stomach. It's corn meal mixed with pig renderings.

I once inadvertently ate some scrapple in Philly, having thought it was a some kind of breakfast sausage patty.

A most unfortunate experience. :eek:

I once inadvertently ate some scrapple in Philly, having thought it was a some kind of breakfast sausage patty.

A most unfortunate experience. :eek:
A most unfortunate dining experience for me was when my older brother tricked me into eating mountain oysters :mad:
He told me that they were chicken nuggets like at McDonald's :mad:
Yuck :mad:

A most unfortunate experience.

Looked up a recipe for 'scrapple' it's called 'creton' here and it's softer more like a rough pate, but has similar ingredients and more pork fat. Uck

Well Sportster, how about canned salmon covered with a sauce on toast? She forgot to remove the bones and the sauce was a white sauce from a jar which tasted like warm mayonnaise. It was called Salmon wiggle. Eck
Salmon Wiggle???:screamcat: sounds more like a dish for a cat?

My mother was a terrible cook, so anything she prepared and placed before me was comparable to death-camp cuisine. The two things I recall that I absolutely hated was her interpretation of salmon patties and Franco-American canned spaghetti with browned hamburger she'd put in it; the salmon patties were the worst.

I've heard that salmon is supposed to be good, but after my experience with the salmon patties, I'm unwilling to even taste salmon . . . UGH!!!:eek:
If you ever change your mind about it, try having a piece of wild caught Atlantic salmon, baked with a little lemon pepper and butter, and you might change your mind! Most salmon patty recipes are made with canned salmon, which the very thought of makes me want to hurl. Fresh salmon is infinitely better!

I have heard that that is supposed to be very good. Perhaps one of these days I'll try it in some four-star restaurant so I can get it cooked right.

You're right, though, my mother used canned salmon; probably the cheap stuff. However, considering that was fifty years ago and the type of person she was, it may have been cat food.:eek:

I am supposed to eat fish 3 times a week because of my heart condition and our favorite is salmon. I think that fresh is the secret when it comes to fish. I used to catch a lot of fish, but not so much these days. There is a large supermarket chain here that flies fresh fish in on a regular basis. It is kind of expensive, but very, very good. Try it, you will like it!

My mother was supposed to eat beef liver once
a week because she was anemic. She made
bacon, liver, and onions. Fried.

The bacon and the onions I liked, but the
liver was sometimes pretty hard to take.
Chewy those tube-y things in the liver.

I tried leaving the table, go to the bathroom,
spit the chewy things out, but when I went
back to the table, there was still more
liver left.

She said to preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put aluminum foil on a cookie pan and spray a little cooking spray on it. Put the salmon, skin side down, on the pan. Spray the salmon lightly, put lemon pepper & seasoned salt on the top side and rub in. Bake for 10 -12 min. or until done. Do not cook to long or it will be dry. After it comes out of the oven, turn over and peel skin off. Cut skin up and feed to dogs. (That is my job) We usually have rice with it.

Sometimes we spray and season it, wrap it up in aluminum foil and cooked it on the grill. We have corn on the cob, also wrapped in foil and cooked on the grill. Burners on medium, lid down for 12-15 min.

My mother was supposed to eat beef liver once
a week because she was anemic. She made
bacon, liver, and onions. Fried.

The bacon and the onions I liked, but the
liver was sometimes pretty hard to take.
Chewy those tube-y things in the liver.

I tried leaving the table, go to the bathroom,
spit the chewy things out, but when I went
back to the table, there was still more
liver left.
That made me dry heave just thinking about it :D

Pumpkin, boiled chicken and burnt mashed potatoes. Basically anything my mother cooked. Bahahahahahaha!

New Threads

Top Bottom