• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your least favorite meals as a kid

Shoo fly pie (either wet or dry bottom) (For those who wonder what I'm talking about, this is a PA Dutch baked goods, made with molasses. Wet or dry refers to the bottom crust.)

Souse, Scrapple, and Hog Maw. All 3 are pork products. The first 2 are hog renderings (remember, the PA Dutch use everything on an animal after it has been slaughtered.). Hog Maw is a hog's stomach, stuffed with sausage, potatoes, cabbage, and turnips, and baked for several hours. Yes, none of that stuff was ever appetizing to me, and usually turned my stomach.

I also dislike olives, green onions, pastrami, and corned beef. I also find tofu unappetizing(with the exception of bacon bits, I refuse to eat any soy based meat, cheese, or dairy substitutes)

Candy, pie, ice cream cookies, soda....just kidding

Beets, celery, cheesecake, dill pickles, mushrooms, onions. tomatoes.
Rich foods, spicy foods, any dish that has too strong an odor.
And probably a lot of stuff that they never tried getting me to eat.

I loved...and still love...Brussels Sprouts. My parents called them "Football Helmets." Still love them.

...I guess I was a pretty weird kid.

Some favorite foods? Yes to Brussels Sprouts, too. Fried tomatoes. Green are good but half-ripe is better. Fully ripe are easier to find and are also very good. Properly breaded there is a crust and then the soft tomato eaten hot that I love. Because of food allergies I need have them fried [or fry them myself] in olive oil. I make a big salad almost every week from diced onion, diced tomatoes, a can [drained] of sliced black olives, a handful of shredded [a package is easier than shredding them myself] carrots. This salad can be served as fresh or sautéed. Mix in to cook as single servings or add to a fresh salad single serving: cooked chicken, cooked smoked sausage, make an omelet with 2 eggs. Each of these is a major meal for me. I often top the entree with salsa.

My "likes" are specific flavors. I like a majority of vegetables. My "cannot tolerates" are mostly meats and some textures in meat. Sheep are totally safe with me. I cannot deal with the taste of 'lamb.' No beef fat or gristle. Don't care for turkey; holiday meals where it is required [to avoid rude], I have a lot of cranberry sauce with each morsel. I am older and Thanksgiving is a family gathering dinner; the cranberry sauce is a special recipe the host makes that is quite unlike most cranberry sauces I ever experienced elsewhere. Tuna is OK as in 'Tuna Salad' but never never never at all if the tuna is cooked into something like a casserole or with noodles. Increasingly I avoid fish. Perhaps if fresh-caught ocean fish were available, but that thought brings up memories of other times of long ago in a different galaxy in a different universe when life was good.

I've never been a fan of vegetables but onions were, and remain, repellent to me. It's not just the taste but the texture too *shudder*
I loved spaghetti bolognese but had to tediously pick out every little piece of onion :)

Peas and swede particularly used to make me literally sick! Well swede still would if I tried to eat it now I'm sure, it's because of the texture I think

I don't like traditional British food much, most of it is very bland. I hate mushrooms, parsnips and sprouts too, they make me want to throw up.

I do eat all of these now but, as a child I did not eat tomatoes or avocados at all and, would barely eat asparagus and hot peppers of any kind. I also avoided green olives.

Now I love most of those and, will eat any of them.

As far as favorites go, avocados, artichokes, scrapple and, souse are among them now, though most were off putting or, intolerable to me as a child.

Well Sportster, how about canned salmon covered with a sauce on toast? She forgot to remove the bones and the sauce was a white sauce from a jar which tasted like warm mayonnaise. It was called Salmon wiggle. Eck

My mother was a terrible cook, so anything she prepared and placed before me was comparable to death-camp cuisine. The two things I recall that I absolutely hated was her interpretation of salmon patties and Franco-American canned spaghetti with browned hamburger she'd put in it; the salmon patties were the worst. I've heard that salmon is supposed to be good, but after my experience with the salmon patties, I'm unwilling to even taste salmon . . . UGH!!!:eek:
I would have rightly liked that. comfort food for me.

Well Sportster, how about canned salmon covered with a sauce on toast? She forgot to remove the bones and the sauce was a white sauce from a jar which tasted like warm mayonnaise. It was called Salmon wiggle. Eck
in canned salmon I take all the bones I can find and mush 'em up and mix 'em back in with it.

My mother was a terrible cook, so anything she prepared and placed before me was comparable to death-camp cuisine. The two things I recall that I absolutely hated was her interpretation of salmon patties and Franco-American canned spaghetti with browned hamburger she'd put in it; the salmon patties were the worst.

I've heard that salmon is supposed to be good, but after my experience with the salmon patties, I'm unwilling to even taste salmon . . . UGH!!!:eek:

You ought to be around the old order Amish and old order Mennonites! Some of their dishes like Ham and string beans and potatoes, chicken corn soup, ham and great northern bean soup, bott-boi (either chicken, turkey, beef or ham), I can handle. Other recipients, like chow-chow, scrapple, pickled pigs or beef tongue, souse, mincemeat pie, or shoofly pie (either wet or dry bottom) is enough to turn one's stomach!

You ought to be around the old order Amish and old order Mennonites! Some of their dishes like Ham and string beans and potatoes, chicken corn soup, ham and great northern bean soup, bott-boi (either chicken, turkey, beef or ham), I can handle. Other recipients, like chow-chow, scrapple, pickled pigs or beef tongue, souse, mincemeat pie, or shoofly pie (either wet or dry bottom) is enough to turn one's stomach!
I don't know what chow chow is, but scrapple and shoefly pie sound yummy to me.

Chow-chow is a relish made of pickled vegetables. It's found in the South, as well as PA Dutch Country. The PA Dutch version is sickenly sweet and sour.

If you ever knew what is used to make scapple, it would turn your stomach. It's corn meal mixed with pig renderings.

thank you for that info, I shall not eat scrapple anymore. but the shoofly pie sounds caloric but yummy.

New Threads

Top Bottom