• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's the last book you read?

The Barbarian Invasions, by Hans Delbruck. Again. I have this pipe dream of a pipe dream of locating the Roman Fort Aliso and the location of the Varusschlacht. Haltern and Kalkriese might be correct, but it seems doubtful to me.

[Am not done reading]
The Great Leader. Jim Harrison.
wrote or co-wrote the screenplays for Legends of the Fall, Revenge, & Wolf) Jim Harrison died this March at 78.

Tom That sounds fascinating. I spent a few interesting minutes reading about Kalkriese. http://www.kalkriese-varusschlacht....ang=nl&cHash=9f608f645242d1077374403235cd2a55

It seems most german researchers who study the battle no longer say Kalkriese is the scene of Varus's defeat (except the museum staff and researchers at Kalkriese), but only a battle site of the Augustian period, of which there were several. The later ( 7 Years) Battle of the Angivarian Wall in 16 AD is one candidate. None of the roman sources mention a wall in the Varusschlacht. Kalkriese was in the territory of the Angivari tribe and had a wall discovered. The principle of 'Lets keep this simple', tells me that's the likely answer. That only roman artifacts/armor/weapons where found makes sense. The Angivari where there at the Varusschlacht where 20-30,000 sets of armor and weapons were captured. Much better stuff then the barbarian Germans where using at the time. One report says the poorest tribesmen carried only fire hardened sharpened spears.

Now say 'That is so interesting, now shut up and go away, cause it isn't that interesting'.

It seems most german researchers who study the battle no longer say Kalkriese is the scene of Varus's defeat (except the museum staff and researchers at Kalkriese), but only a battle site of the Augustian period, of which there were several. The later ( 7 Years) Battle of the Angivarian Wall in 16 AD is one candidate. None of the roman sources mention a wall in the Varusschlacht. Kalkriese was in the territory of the Angivari tribe and had a wall discovered. The principle of 'Lets keep this simple', tells me that's the likely answer. That only roman artifacts/armor/weapons where found makes sense. The Angivari where there at the Varusschlacht where 20-30,000 sets of armor and weapons were captured. Much better stuff then the barbarian Germans where using at the time. One report says the poorest tribesmen carried only fire hardened sharpened spears.

Now say 'That is so interesting, now shut up and go away, cause it isn't that interesting'.
No. ;) Actually I still find it interesting. I'm curious if anyone ever sesrched for the location of the Angivari homelands? And I wonder where all that armor ended up. A thorough search of old German museums might turn up some Roman stuff? And I totally agree with the truth being found usually along the simplest explanations.
I like stories and mysteries.

No. ;) Actually I still find it interesting. I'm curious if anyone ever sesrched for the location of the Angivari homelands? And I wonder where all that armor ended up. A thorough search of old German museums might turn up some Roman stuff? And I totally agree with the truth being found usually along the simplest explanations.
I like stories and mysteries.

That's the attraction, the unsolved mysteries.:)

Old germanic stuff is very rare. Their habitations almost impossible to find. Most was the kind of materials that does not survive long (wood, leathers, linen). They also mostly did not bury their dead (cremation instead). When they did bury, they weren't big on including valuables. What is in the museums in germany from the ancient period is mostly roman, a bit of celtic and least of all germanic. In the several thousand finds/artifacts at Kalkriese for example I think less then 5 are germanic.

Last edited:
Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety: A Guide to Successful Stress Management

I've only read the 1st chapter, so far so good.

'Spotlight On Sunny' by Keris Stainton my sister bought it for me. It's a teen novel. Not normally into that kind of thing but it was ok.

Currently making my way through Iain Bank's Culture series of scifi books. read loads of his non scifi when younger but missed out on his scifi.

Utterly compelling reading, beautifully written, very economic prose, evocative, emotional, humorous, dark ... such a sad loss he died so young.

Nearly finished Matter, have all his scifi books courtesy of eBay

New Threads

Top Bottom