• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's the last book you read?

. . .

V.I.P Member
What's the last book you read?

A few minutes ago I finished reading every story from The Short Stories of J.G. Ballard:

picture001sq.jpg
picture004bh.jpg

I've had the book for ages (three months, to be exact) and finally finished it.

My favorite stories were Chronopolis, Deep End, Billenium, The Garden of Time, The Subliminal Man, End Game, The Drowned Giant, The Terminal Beach (a little too experimental but good) and The Cloud Skulptors of Coral D. The last few stories didn't appeal to me much at all.

Anyone else here like J.G. Ballard stories?

DIY U: Edupunks, Edupreneurs, and the Coming Transformation of Higher Education, by Anya Kamenetz

We Few. It's the third book in the Empire of Man series by David Weber & John Ringo. I'm on to the fourth/last now.

I'm currently reading The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I'm on the second book so far: Green Mars.

I have always been obsessed by space and Mars in particular. Google sky can eat up hours as I fly around Mars :)

Point to Happy
48553.gif

I seem to have an infinite capacity for surprise.
What surprised me about this publication?
That anybody needed to write it.
That anybody published it.
That anybody is buying it.

A book like this is definitely a valuable asset.
What I don't understand is the idea that people don't make
things like this themselves.
I do.

As usual, I figure anything I can think of, anybody else ought to figure out, too.
And make it and use it.

I seem to have an infinite capacity for surprise.
What surprised me about this publication?
That anybody needed to write it.
That anybody published it.
That anybody is buying it.

A book like this is definitely a valuable asset.
What I don't understand is the idea that people don't make
things like this themselves.
I do.

As usual, I figure anything I can think of, anybody else ought to figure out, too.
And make it and use it.

And that, dear tree, shows just how much you underestimate yourself. You make things that are valuable.

The last book I read was Wabi Sabi about how to make "distressed" surfaces so that words and images could have their meanings supported by textures. Words can be read for logic, and images processed holistically, and fingers can feel. It's done a lot in mixed media, which is a new form for me.

"The Death of Ivan Ilyich" by Leo Tolstoy, moving on to Dostoevsky's "Notes from Underground" which is hilarious if you imagine John Cleese reading it.

Last book I finished was Catch-22. I didn't particularly enjoy it. Picked up Sophie's Choice a short time after finishing Catch-22 but lost steam and energy to read. It's now 3 month later and I have only read the first two chapters or so.

Giovanni's Room or A Clockwork Orange, not sure which one I finished first.

Heidi Grows Up
It's not written by the author.
Starts off kinda rough[stilted], as if it
were fanfic/quotations/paraphrases.

Eventually it works into original material
which is ok. The main difficulty I had with
the story is the lack of life in the characters.

Wild, by Cheryl Strayed.
It was pretty awful to be honest, but I got stuck for something to read, and got sold on what It was supposed to be about; which is a young woman who had a close relationship with her mother, who suddenly dies of cancer , and the daughter embarks on this epic and courgeous trek to "find herself" and "heal"".

SPOILER ALERT

I'm pretty sure she made half of it up.
She's totally unprepared.
She's totally self absorbed.
She didn't have a close relationship with her mother , or anyone for that matter.
She is a promiscuous druggie who uses her youth and gender to get what she wants.
She seems to spend as much time, if not more, hitchhiking or hanging out in camping grounds and bars as she does hiking.
She presents herself as a great role model.
At the end of the book, nothing has changed.

New Threads

Top Bottom