• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your favourite smell? Is it linked to your obsessions?

Several actually: old, musty wood. old books. vanilla. maple syrup. coffee. They have nothing to do with my obsessions but I definitely do appreciate a good smell. It can be a form of comfort and relaxation. I'm pretty sure some people think it's kind of odd that I like the smell of musty wood and old books. But a lot of people also like the smell of fresh coffee. Smells can absolutely be beautiful.

Pine like in pine needles probably. And a very specific type of PVC plastic smell. As a kid I would keep my Britains plastic soldiers in shoe boxes and they would build up a plastic outgassing smell. Brings back fond memories. Similar to new car smell.

I remember smelling new racing ignition cables/wires that had the same distinct smell as the crap the janitor spread over vomit when I was in primary school. :D

I remember smelling new racing ignition cables/wires that had the same distinct smell as the crap the janitor spread over vomit when I was in primary school. :D

Nitro, do you remember the smell of Blendzall, caster based, two stroke, racing oil. It was a very distinctive bitter/sweet smell. I can remember being at the motocross races in the sixties and early seventies when that was what you smelled. Good times.

Nitro, do you remember the smell of Blendzall, caster based, two stroke, racing oil. It was a very distinctive bitter/sweet smell. I can remember being at the motocross races in the sixties and early seventies when that was what you smelled. Good times.
Yes.but not by name. I am also exposed to caster oil two stroke mix in nitromethane and alcohol based fuels for my model engines. I have a lot of Cox product that requires the varnish left behind from burning it to keep the piston to cylinder clearances tight enough to seal with a lack of piston rings. Over time,the caster oil varnish builds too high and must be removed to loosen the fitment. The engines run a a lesser power level after cleaning and has to rebuild the seal over several runs before they will run at peak performance.

I have five vintage Cox .010 cubic front rotary valve racing engines. They are touted as the smallest displacement mass produced internal combustion engines of all times.The little buggers turn up 30.000 RPM on a 50/35/15% mix of nitro,methanol and caster oil and produce an estimated .01 horsepower.They were offered in five distinct colors and packaging from the beginning of production in 1962 that was finalized in 1990. I have all versions of these engines except for the first run blister packaged model that are near impossible to find because the blister doesn't hold up to time well in any environment. The price of a new in box engine drops way low when the packaging is shot,but just having one would be special just the same.They are all in pristine packaging and have never been started.I will hold onto them like gold until the supply can't meet the demand and then dump my so far investment of under $500. I have seen the same engines pull $250 during the holiday season,but ten years from now,who knows what they will bring. I have one Cox-Estes final run version with a hand carved propeller I made undersized to the 3 inch prop it actually swings so it wasn't ungainly with the key to my castle.

20160114_150502.jpg

I have a keen sense of smell and there are anti smells that can make me irritable or send me scurrying.

Other than scents that are created...? as in natural smells

Woody trails in morning when you can smell EVERYTHING. Decay of leraves, sweet clay, earth, the last animal that passed, pine, trodden grass

Chocolate

Amber

Banana

Lilac

Hyacinth

Jasmine and honeysuckle

I love the smell of many dishes while cooking

Love the smell of heavy sweet cream

I love the smell of young babies... young animals too on different level

Snow

Certain Plastics

New plaster curing

Certain people

Fresh cut wood

Pickles

Burning applewood, apple trees in general

Cedar

Birch in all forms alive and processed

Lizards

Citrus in general

Our macaw smelled lemony, don;t know if that is large parrot thing. I'm normally afraid of them and hate their screeches

Fresh Coffee

Unsmoked cigar

Certain springs/streams of freshwater

But I don't think any of these actually have anything to do with my OCD pursuits
Though I am a master woodsmith, and journeyman silversmith. I am now allergic to coffee but still brew it occasionally. I am a foody and like to track and hunt. But my actual OCD habits are in different range of activities. I think it is associations evoked. Except maybe chocolate. Its CHOCOLATE

My favourite smell is fresh rain smell or ozone smell that you find with powerful ionisers. They smell the same to me but soo soo fresh

Not related to my profession and probably a bit odd, but I love the smell of two stroke and freshly cut grass in the summer.

A freshly mown golf course. Bermuda gras and Bent gras have different smells. Bermuda seems sweeter to me than Bent. Taking out flags and coolers on a summer morning is one of my favorite things, just me, a few grounds crew, & the golf course. The grass and trees are great, especially after a light nighttime rain.

Goose feathers. And hyacinth. My dad buys me a hyacinth every year for my birthday, and so my room is currently filled with the scent.

Some of my favorite smells in general:

Diesel fumes(reminds me of Disneyland), old books, new car smell, freshly ground coffee, freshly baked bread, sizzling bacon, Play-Doh, mint, freshly baked pizza...

New Threads

Top Bottom