• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Alternative communication for non speaking autistics

Azul

Hi all! I've found this forum is very supportive and kind with who needs help. So I came here with a question:

After finally getting better after a very bad sittuation in grad school, where some people here helped me, I have finally continued my studies and I am now in the final procedures to graduate as an arts teacher, if everything goes fine.

I'd like some ideas for helping the communication and engagement of non speaking autistics. I already met some in the obligatory work and was at a loss at how to engage with them. I know they understand me, but in a class there is a lot going on - reading is a required ability, some special needs students don't do the activity, here in Brazil the reality is that many of them don't have a supporting professional in class (what is obligatory by law), etc.

So I discovered about alternative communication and PODD - visual displays that allow for back and forth communication. I'm reading and searching for instructions on how to create these boards, although they are scarce and often expensivelly paid for.

So, to those who use them themselves or with children or relatives, what tips or recommendations can you give me as an educator? I suppose the more literal these figures can be, the better. Bellow is an example of a page. I've never tried using these boards, as a disclaimer. And even if one never saw or used them, I'd gladly welcome any tips, suggestions or commentaries on any topic one may have for a potential educator.

Edit: and, of course, I thank all those who helped me when I was in a worse situation. Thank you people.

Attachments

• 2AAA2796E301A126FFA7FFDFF513666A.png
    2AAA2796E301A126FFA7FFDFF513666A.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 7
I just started doing a bit of a search for you, because I was curious. I'm very verbal, some people say far too much. :)

I was shocked at the way a lot of companies are extorting people with autism, even in Australia not many parents would have a spare US$400 just lying around to spend on what is basically a very simple type of computer program.

But I've been using Linux computers for more than 20 years now and the Free Software Foundation is an institution that gives me better faith in human nature. So I found this for you, I hope it's useful:

I just started doing a bit of a search for you, because I was curious. I'm very verbal, some people say far too much. :)

I was shocked at the way a lot of companies are extorting people with autism, even in Australia not many parents would have a spare US$400 just lying around to spend on what is basically a very simple type of computer program.

But I've been using Linux computers for more than 20 years now and the Free Software Foundation is an institution that gives me better faith in human nature. So I found this for you, I hope it's useful:

This is awesome. Thank you, @Outdated!

I use an iPad and type in Pages. It is not so good because it is easy to accidentally touch the screen, make a word or sentence active and then erase all of it. There are specialized programs I would like to use but they are expensive.

I do not think iPads would be affordable in Brasil but I do not know. I used to write things down on paper and it works okay but handwriting can be a problem for both sides to understand. The clear text on the iPad solves that problem but I sure hate when I accidentally erase everything as I am handling the iPad to show them what I wrote, also I sometimes touch the power switch and show them a blank screen which is embarrassing.

What I would love it a program that shows my text upside down to me so what I type is right side up for them so I do not have to rotate the iPad.

So, to those who use them themselves or with children or relatives, what tips or recommendations can you give me as an educator? I suppose the more literal these figures can be, the better. Bellow is an example of a page. I've never tried using these boards, as a disclaimer. And even if one never saw or used them, I'd gladly welcome any tips, suggestions or commentaries on any topic one may have for a potential educator.
I think simple communication boards or cards can be a great tool - I've found them more useful when they are made with photographs instead of little illustrations. If you have the ability to take and print small photos, you can create communication cards similar to the one you attached in post #1 that are very specific to your classroom environment and the needs of your students.

I would have the students be involved as much as possible. Helping them create their own means to communicate in a comfortable way can build a bond between you and give some empowerment to your students.

Another idea is to use sign-language like signs. Maybe some of your students already do, or you could work with them to create agreed upon signs for common phrases that may come up in the classroom.

Hi all! I've found this forum is very supportive and kind with who needs help. So I came here with a question:

After finally getting better after a very bad sittuation in grad school, where some people here helped me, I have finally continued my studies and I am now in the final procedures to graduate as an arts teacher, if everything goes fine.

I'd like some ideas for helping the communication and engagement of non speaking autistics. I already met some in the obligatory work and was at a loss at how to engage with them. I know they understand me, but in a class there is a lot going on - reading is a required ability, some special needs students don't do the activity, here in Brazil the reality is that many of them don't have a supporting professional in class (what is obligatory by law), etc.

So I discovered about alternative communication and PODD - visual displays that allow for back and forth communication. I'm reading and searching for instructions on how to create these boards, although they are scarce and often expensivelly paid for.

Edit: and, of course, I thank all those who helped me when I was in a worse situation. Thank you people.

I am glad you know they can understand you. I am non-verbal most of the time. I carry identification to explain that to people.

Are the people you are talking about not able to type or write to you? I use an iPad to type to people. They are expensive but maybe there are less expensive tablets like Amazon Fire tablets or older or refurbished models from other companies. Being able to use the iPad changed my life. Especially good when boarding a bus. I can make my destination words very large so the driver knows where I am going and I can board quickly.

I think simple communication boards or cards can be a great tool - I've found them more useful when they are made with photographs instead of little illustrations. If you have the ability to take and print small photos, you can create communication cards similar to the one you attached in post #1 that are very specific to your classroom environment and the needs of your students.

I would have the students be involved as much as possible. Helping them create their own means to communicate in a comfortable way can build a bond between you and give some empowerment to your students.

Another idea is to use sign-language like signs. Maybe some of your students already do, or you could work with them to create agreed upon signs for common phrases that may come up in the classroom.

It would change my life if people knew sign language. So much better than typing on an iPad. I could answer questions quickly and have whole conversations but I have not met hearing people who sign.

I do not think iPads would be affordable in Brasil but I do not know.
Ipads are popular in the US and Europe but almost non-existent in the rest of the world, because of price. Australia is very much a part of Asia and Android is popular here because it's also what's popular in all of our neighbouring countries, because so many people are more familiar with it it's easier for people to get help for problems they might have with their phones.

I have no idea what an iphone costs these days, I never even thought of looking at one. Just a few weeks ago I bought myself a brand new phone with a 6.5 inch screen and a nice camera - $145 including postage. And that's Australian dollars, in your money that's about $90.

I am glad you know they can understand you. I am non-verbal most of the time. I carry identification to explain that to people.

Are the people you are talking about not able to type or write to you? I use an iPad to type to people. They are expensive but maybe there are less expensive tablets like Amazon Fire tablets or older or refurbished models from other companies. Being able to use the iPad changed my life. Especially good when boarding a bus. I can make my destination words very large so the driver knows where I am going and I can board quickly.

There's no way to use an electronic device like ipads, not even an refurbished one, they are insanely expensive here. Smartphones in general might be an option, if the child already received one from his or her parents, but this is unlikely. Analog books are the best way to go, so I'm looking into that option.

I need to learn sign language first, but here there's the additional difficulty that the autistic children themselves are not likely to know it, moreso if they're from public education.

And the children I've met are illiterate, wich is common for special needs children in my limited experience, thus the need for alternative communication.

I liked the idea about photographs. Some concepts need to be relatively abstract and thus drawn, but if photos are clearer, then one could adapt a good part of the illustrations.

I also liked the idea of creating a sign vocabulary. I never thought about that.

Smartphones in general might be an option, if the child already received one from his or her parents, but this is unlikely.
If you can have communication software on your own tablet that would at least allow individual communication with you, and if it's something the kids don't get to use at home they'd probably have fun with it and enjoy using it - new experiences.

I also like Rodafina's suggestions.

Ipads are popular in the US and Europe but almost non-existent in the rest of the world, because of price. Australia is very much a part of Asia and Android is popular here because it's also what's popular in all of our neighbouring countries, because so many people are more familiar with it it's easier for people to get help for problems they might have with their phones.

I have no idea what an iphone costs these days, I never even thought of looking at one. Just a few weeks ago I bought myself a brand new phone with a 6.5 inch screen and a nice camera - $145 including postage. And that's Australian dollars, in your money that's about $90.

I use iPads and I have an iPhone because I have a friend who has a lot of Apple stuff. He would give me things when he upgraded. Now he sends them back to Apple to get a discount on new things but it brought me into the Apple ecosystem and using their things. I have seen much less expensive tablets on Amazon. I was going to get one until my friend gave me one of his and later bought me one.

I use iPads and I have an iPhone because I have a friend who has a lot of Apple stuff.
That's exactly the type of situation I was trying to describe above. Throughout Asia Android is by far the most popular and people tend to stick with what they know and what friends and family can help them with.

There's no way to use an electronic device like ipads, not even an refurbished one, they are insanely expensive here. Smartphones in general might be an option, if the child already received one from his or her parents, but this is unlikely. Analog books are the best way to go, so I'm looking into that option.

I need to learn sign language first, but here there's the additional difficulty that the autistic children themselves are not likely to know it, moreso if they're from public education.

And the children I've met are illiterate, wich is common for special needs children in my limited experience, thus the need for alternative communication.

Thank you, that explains things very clearly. I think sign boards could work very well for simple things. I would be frustrated that I would not be able to say more with them. Not be able to have a conversation or answer questions more fully but I also have the problem with the iPad because I only have seconds to type on them. I have so little time because people seem very uncomfortable waiting for me to type so I rush.

I know the world cannot and should not be adapted just for me but sign language would change everything. I would be able to do so much more in the world and also not worry about iPads. I know American Sign Language but I have not met anyone I needed to speak with who did. It would be amazing. I can be articulate, I can get my thoughts out in sign language. With the iPad I can sound more like a child.

That's exactly the type of situation I was trying to describe above. Throughout Asia Android is by far the most popular and people tend to stick with what they know and what friends and family can help them with.

Yes, I have only been sticking with what I know. If my friend had had Android ( I do not really know that that is) that is what I would have a lot of now. One very good thing about Apple is their Accessible Services department. They are the only one I have found where the people are trained. Other ones seem like normal people who think being kind and patient is the same thing. The Apple Accessible Services people have never talked down to me and they are very patient. That has been worth a lot to me but their products are very expensive I know. I feel afraid to switch now to something else. I learned how to use the things I have, I am afraid to try and learn something else.

I wonder if that is another way they keep customers.

@Azul, there are two types of non-verbal autism,
  1. Those who understand the language that they hear at age-appropriate levels. They can successfully learn to use the PECS, the [Whopper?], a text keyboard and, eventually, a text-to-speech keyboard.
  2. Then there are those like my ASD3 daughter (29) who have the language (& behavioral) development of a 1.5yo NT. She never grasped any of those devices and her understanding of verbal instructions is equally limited.
#1s will type age-appropriate content and might even be ASD1 except for their lack of speech.

If there is no toilet available, my daughter will still poop in her pants or on the floor rather than hold it (which she does not understand), and she is not bashful about who might see, either. (We keep a commode in her room.)
For road trips, we just ask if she needs to go potty when we get to our destination, to be on the safe side.

In terms of communication, you would talk to my daughter just like you would any other 1.5yo.

Hi Azul, another thought I had: If you'll have fixed groups for your classes (I mean, teach the same classes during longer periods of time), you could take note of the kids who are non-verbal or similar, and ask them and their parents/relatives/friends/caretakers/whoever can tell you what ways of communication they already have. Also to get some input and inspiration as to what sort of methods there are. Maybe you could even have a group meeting at the beginning of the term/course with all the respective parents and kids to discuss communication tools for your class - maybe you would find a few that all or most of the kids feel comfortable with.

This is awesome, thank you so much for sharing it. I might use it in the future with patients who are non-verbal for any reason.

New Threads

Top Bottom