• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your favourite smell? Is it linked to your obsessions?

Madame Catfish

...Fascinating...
What is your favourite smell?
Is it linked to your obsessions?
How do others around you feel about your fondness for that smell?
Do you find beauty in certain smells, as in artistic beauty? Why do you think so?

My main obsession is machines. I love machines of all kinds. I have always made my living working on machines. My wife and other family members say that my work truck and myself after work, have a distinct smell. They say it smells like machinery. However, I can't smell it. I guess I have been around it so long that I've gotten used to it. I do have favorite smells. In the spring when farmers are burning weeds out of the ditch's or in the fall when people are burning leaves. My wife says it stinks, but I just love that smell.

I also love the smell of well oiled machinery, especially steam driven. Brings back so many memories.
Not linked to any of my special interests as such, but I do love engines. Certain smells can evoke as sense of 'beauty or richness', but not machine smells.

My favorite smells are basically anything from Bath and Body Works, and as my obsession (one of them) is lotion, they are definitely related. I collect lotions, perfumes, etc. People think it's weird, but I think of it as a kind of art, like you said.

There are so many smells that I like, I couldn't pick just one to be a favourite.

I like the smells of items that I use in conection with my interests.

In general people around me aren't aware of my fondness for smells. But I do notice and comment on smells more than I think most would and I do modify my behaviour and supress some impulses to smell things or people when I'm around others.

I haven't thought in terms of finding beauty in smells before. I'm quite obsessed with the experience of smelling the world around me though. There are afew smells that I find beautiful in themsleves but in general I enjoy smells because of the memories and eperiences they are connected too. I also enjoy simply experiencing the world around me through it's smells.

I don't like using a kindle because it doesn't smell like a book. I like to experience a book when I'm reading it and that includes what it smells like.

There are so many smells that I like, I couldn't pick just one to be a favourite.

I like the smells of items that I use in conection with my interests.

In general people around me aren't aware of my fondness for smells. But I do notice and comment on smells more than I think most would and I do modify my behaviour and supress some impulses to smell things or people when I'm around others.

I haven't thought in terms of finding beauty in smells before. I'm quite obsessed with the experience of smelling the world around me though. There are afew smells that I find beautiful in themsleves but in general I enjoy smells because of the memories and eperiences they are connected too. I also enjoy simply experiencing the world around me through it's smells.

I don't like using a kindle because it doesn't smell like a book. I like to experience a book when I'm reading it and that includes what it smells like.
Dear Me!! I've never met someone who feels the same way about kindles as I do! I have to have the smell of a book. It is so comforting. It's like part of a book's character is missing when it just smells electronic.

My favorite smells are basically anything from Bath and Body Works, and as my obsession (one of them) is lotion, they are definitely related. I collect lotions, perfumes, etc. People think it's weird, but I think of it as a kind of art, like you said.

I like your profile picture. Elphaba Thropp was the bomb. Especially the one in the books- I love how she highlights that anything unsocial is deemed immoral in our society, and rejects these values in substitution for her own morality (I guess until the end of the book, when she doesn't seem to recognise any existence of morality any more, though) The song from the musical "Defying Gravity" is the most cheerful song about self-imposed isolation I'v ever heard. XD

My favorite smell is the smell of burning leaves and wood, especially such as found in a chiminea. The smell makes me see a huge field in a golden autumn sunset and taste apple cider. When first going to answer the question, I thought, I don't think this has anything to do with my obsessions. A few seconds later I realized, well yes it does. I call it my "Halloween Smell." Halloween and all things related are one of my obsessions/fixations. My home is decorated for halloween year round, basically, and I love reading about the holiday and anything spooky or scary. So in a way yes, my Halloween Smell is related :)

I like the smell of fresh cut wood. Pine, walnut, ash, cherry, white oak. It has to do with some old special interests (Japanese woodworking, furniture making). But it also excites me sensually, so yes, it has been linked to obsessions as well.

I like the smell of...

onions cooking
wooden musical instruments, like a piano or acoustic guitar
new electronic gadgets straight out of the box
burning wood
the ocean on a clean beach
my kids when they're about 3 or 4 years old...just something special about their scent at that age

The only smell that immediately comes to mind that I really like is the smell of smoke. Not cigarette smoke. The smell of wood and leaves burning. It's one reason why autumn is my favorite season because so many people are doing control burns on their property.
I also love the smell of laundry hung out on the line because it gets the smell of the grass and air in it. And I really like to hang out clothes in the spring when the clover are blooming!

A bit. I love being outdoors.

I've had a few women agree that they should learn how to manufacture that wood smoke smell and make it a cologne for men. Old Spice is nice and all, but when my husband comes in after doing some autumnal yard work, MMMM!

Do you find beauty in certain smells, as in artistic beauty? Why do you think so?
Artistic...? Nah, not really. A high compliment from me would be that it smelled like something outside.

Our memories, which are constructed by our senses, are recollected when we are exposed to something associated with that memory, sounds, sights, smells, etc. Since the sense of smell is something that we often experience in a wide variety of contexts makes it particularly powerful as a sensual reconnection to experiences, ie. memory.

We can walk down a hall in a dingy building and smell chicken roasting in an oven and be reminded of pleasant Sunday dinners at home. Scents bring a sense of beauty to otherwise bland or vacant space.

Fresh cut grass
woodsmoke from someone's fire
The rich scent of fertile earth
Douglas, Frasier, or Balsam Fir trees
horses
leather
old books
tung oil (used on wood-turned products)
rainstorm in summer
relaxed men (sort of a heavy rich roastbeef/leather/amonia/butter/machine oil mélange )
pine needles warming in sunshine
a baby's dear, soft, sweet head scent evoking tenderness and love
apples baking
a BBQ (but only if I'm invited)
the woodsy scent of leaf litter decaying in autumn
the sharp, fresh scent of wintergreen
My precious dog, and cat's dear scents

Yup, those are my favorites. Not a special interest, but scent defines my world nearly as much as sight does.

My favorite smell is the smell of antiques - especially old wooden antiques. I have a couple of medical antiques that are in wooden boxes - an otoscope kit from the early 1800's and a field surgical kit from early 1700's and I actually used to sit and smell them for hours. My Ma said it reminds her of a "musty" smell, but I prefer to call it an "antiquey" smell. :) Me and Ma used to always go see the antique stores every Sunday after church so I guess that was our obsession at the time. Even though Ma can't go with me as much anymore, it's still my favorite smell.

Last edited:
I love my after shave, I've got a fair amount of them and I love the lingering smell on my clothes - chucking an old t-shirt on just smells amazing.

I quite like smelly things in general, strong fabric softener - candles etc. Although my taste in said smell varies greatly, couldn't really put it down to a category. I used to wear womens perfume because It smelled sweeter, but I stopped doing this.

I've got Diesel Only The Brave Wild on today and that's really nice.

A lot of the smells remind me of something, being a certain age or a holiday - I also have Acqua Di Gio by Armani which just reminds me of being a teenager. Think I'll always like that one.

Oh and toner - LOVE the smell of a warm laser printer.

My frontal lobe injury removed my olfactory function...my favorite smells are only memories now.
I miss the smell of nitromethane,traction compound and burning rubber at the dragstrip.
As my name here implies,it is an obsession of mine.
Being a mechanically oriented guy,the smells of oil and old machinery is something I loved.
Nicer light perfumes is missed...That was a part of what made women special to me in their own unique ways...believe it or not,the smell of vanilla extract was an extreme turn on to me when worn as a scent
Automotive paint and solvent fumes
Higher octane racing gasoline and aviation fuel exhaust odors are gone now...
Older cars and airplanes have their own special smells,and there is nothing like the musty smell of an old convertible or a fabric covered airplane ;)

The bright side of it is to never smell anything nasty again,so I have little to actually complain about now :p

Fresh Sawdust
Brewing Coffee
The Smell of the Sea
Pine Trees
The Smell of Fabric Softener as it comes from the Clothes Dryer at the start of the cycle

-Cinnamon
-Vanilla
-Gasoline
-Garlic
-Curry
-Autumn leaves

New Threads

Top Bottom