• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Changelings and autism

TBRS1

Transparent turnip
Since I just outed myself as an Elf in another thread, I thought it would be fun to toss this out for discussion:

In folklore, changeling stories often describe mothers noticing a sudden change in their child, not realising the child has been replaced. Changelings were described as resisting or having a poor response to physical affection, difficulty expressing emotions, appearing to cry for no reason, being particularly obstinate, and even being completely unable to speak (Alonso, 2020). They were also said to demonstrate intelligence and maturity beyond their years, or to have some incredible creative talent such as singing or playing the fiddle (Whalen, 2023).

If you know anything about autism, these traits may sound oddly familiar. Autism advocates and neuroscientists alike have noted the similarities between changelings and the development of Autistic children in the modern day. These tales from folklore heavily suggest that autism has existed for a long time, pre-dating modern psychology, and thus the first ‘medical’ description of autism, by centuries.
Source: Changelings: Where autism meets folklore — Bond & Wild Co.

A search for "autism changeling" will provide interesting research material regarding the (possible) historic response to autistic people (as well as other forms of non -typical neuro - and physical differences.

This is interesting, honestly. And it can put the idea of how we perceive ourselves, into some interesting 'rabbit holes'. Especailly since we experience a feeling of significant difference from everyone that is NT.

I've always personally never saw myself as human, or at least never considered what I really thought of myself. But I never felt like I belonged. Though some of that could be personal tramas talking. But I oddly feel like that isn't wholly the case.

This is interesting, honestly. And it can put the idea of how we perceive ourselves, into some interesting 'rabbit holes'. Especailly since we experience a feeling of significant difference from everyone that is NT.

I've always personally never saw myself as human, or at least never considered what I really thought of myself. But I never felt like I belonged. Though some of that could be personal tramas talking. But I oddly feel like that isn't wholly the case.
Yeah.

Since neuro-atypical people have always existed, it makes sense to suspect that, in historic literature and/or folktales and/or mythology, characters will show up who exhibit those traits.

Of course, everybody has different experiences, but the feeling of being a stranger in a strange land seems to be pretty common in ASD folk, from what I've seen.

I know I feel it.

Whether what we are, are changelings or not. I've always felt this body I'm in, and the world around me, are foriegn. That my spirit was not created here, but was thrust here from another realm. For what purpose? IDK. But I feel different from the human shell I walk in.

But there must me a reason for me to be here. I cannot just be here to just live and die, pointlessly. I also feel it's the same for others. But I cannot speak for them.

I have always felt there are spirits that don't belong in the traditional sense. But are hidden in human form. If demons and other entities can. Then why must we be the exception?

Changelings . . . Otherkin . . . whatever. It's all mythology and "Old Wives' Tales".

Kayley Whalen said:
Many Celtic, Germanic, and Norse myths tell of children being kidnapped by fairies or other supernatural beings to be replaced by a monstrous substitute, a changeling.

Yet the origins of changelings may have not been supernatural at all, but instead, as a way of understanding neurodivergence in children.

Stories of changelings strike fear into the hearts of many families and especially mothers in Ireland from throughout history and up to this day. In short, in these tales, children, or sometimes young mothers, or unmarried women, are abducted by fairies — only to be replaced by a shapeshifting monster or inanimate object made to appear like that child or woman.

One of my primary interests in changeling folklore is how it may be tied to historical attempts to explain developmental disabilities and intellectual disabilities in children including Autism, ADHD, Epilepsy, Dyslexia, Hyperlexia, Dyscalculia, and Down syndrome. As a neurodivergent person myself, that has led to an interest, one might even say an obsession, with the folklore of the changeling.

Link to Article

:)

Since I just outed myself as an Elf in another thread, I thought it would be fun to toss this out for discussion:

Source: Changelings: Where autism meets folklore — Bond & Wild Co.

A search for "autism changeling" will provide interesting research material regarding the (possible) historic response to autistic people (as well as other forms of non -typical neuro - and physical differences.
You’re an elf?

In some primitive cultures, autistics were called "changelings". In other primitive cultures, they/we were called "demon-possessed" or "oracles". In some modern cultures, they/we are called "broken", "burdensome", or "disgraceful". In still others, they/we are called "mentally deficient", "untameable", or "threatening".

All from ignorance.

But, you still protect hobbits with a magic ring?;)
No, you're confusing elves with wizards. Elves (wood elves) throw them in prison for trespassing.

If you're a hobbit, you need to go find yourself a wizard, and remember to ask permission before entering Mirkwood.

This must be why I like mythical creatures so much. Fairies, mermaids, unicorns... But I don't really believe I'm a mythical creature. They're called mythical for a reason.

New Threads

Top Bottom