• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your favourite smell? Is it linked to your obsessions?

I'd say one of my favorite scents is the smell of a fresh rose. Sometimes you have to just stop and smell the roses. I'm a rose girl - it's my favorite flower. I even have a china tea set called "Old Country Roses" by Royal Albert. I used to have a perfume that smelled just like fresh cut roses, but everyone kept saying I smelled like a funeral parlor. :rolleyes:

The scent of apples in a basket, eucalyptus, coffee, the scent of lake water on the skin, dry leaves & fir trees.

I love the smell of books. They just smell good to me, so every book I put my nose up against it and just breathe. It is rather relaxing to sit down, smell a book, and then read it.

I loved to smell the inside of brand new Allied E Z Pull Electrical Tubing.
New Belden automotive ignition cables smell exactly like the little bag of stuff the janitor spread on puke when I was in grade school. A horrible smell to be exact,but I used to smell them just for the the heck of it :D

I no longer have olfactory function,only memories

My favourite is washing straight out of the washing machine, but I also like how I smell after showers and the smell of a lot of soaps. Not related to obsessions, but I really do like smelling those things. I've got several bars I've never used and I just use them to smell. :)

Last edited:
Getting anywhere near the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory in San Francisco is pretty nice. So is being downwind of the Jelly Belly complex in Fairfield, CA. :)

Getting anywhere near the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory in San Francisco is pretty nice. So is being downwind of the Jelly Belly complex in Fairfield, CA. :)
I love Hershey Pennsylvania for the same reason :D

New books, magazines, comics, petrichor (the smell after it rains) freshly cut grass, autumn leaves, perfume, mexican food, chinese food, curry, the sea, coffee, gasoline/petrol

My favourite smell is that earthy smell that rises up from the ground when it starts to rain on a hot summer day.

I love the smell of freshly cut wood. I love walking around in hardware stores, cause the wood smell is everywhere there!

I quite enjoy perfumes and other fragrances people put on themselves, just not all of them, nor do I bother to actually keep it as an interest. I guess my olifactory sense is also a bit sensitive, since I avoid any perfume department in stores (and clearly avoid any kind of perfume stores as well) since that's a frontal attack on my scent. I can deal with sweet scents fine, but not when they're mashed together all at once. It's like a glittery cloud of thunder zapping me in the nose.

Interestingly enough I do have a certain "feel" for scents and overall, I get told I smell pretty nice when it comes to using stuff like deodorants and such, since I apparently have a nose to buy ones that aren't an all out assault, but just a slight scent in the background. I've ended up receiving deodorant from my parents in the past, only to throw them out (or ask if my dad or other family wants them) since I didn't think they smelled good; some were just too much.

I actually ended up going shopping for fragrances with girlfriends in the past often to help out to pick something nice and subtle.

Besides that; I do like the smell of gasoline at a station (and sometimes at a garage as well), petrichor (the smell of rain on dry soil), bacon... those are a few that come to mind. The smell of static electricity is a bit of an odd one for me, as I'm not sure if I like it or dislike it... but it does help me at times to avoid getting zapped, lol. Good for me to at least recognize it

I quite enjoy perfumes and other fragrances people put on themselves, just not all of them, nor do I bother to actually keep it as an interest. I guess my olifactory sense is also a bit sensitive, since I avoid any perfume department in stores (and clearly avoid any kind of perfume stores as well) since that's a frontal attack on my scent. I can deal with sweet scents fine, but not when they're mashed together all at once. It's like a glittery cloud of thunder zapping me in the nose.

Interestingly enough I do have a certain "feel" for scents and overall, I get told I smell pretty nice when it comes to using stuff like deodorants and such, since I apparently have a nose to buy ones that aren't an all out assault, but just a slight scent in the background. I've ended up receiving deodorant from my parents in the past, only to throw them out (or ask if my dad or other family wants them) since I didn't think they smelled good; some were just too much.

I actually ended up going shopping for fragrances with girlfriends in the past often to help out to pick something nice and subtle.

Besides that; I do like the smell of gasoline at a station (and sometimes at a garage as well), petrichor (the smell of rain on dry soil), bacon... those are a few that come to mind. The smell of static electricity is a bit of an odd one for me, as I'm not sure if I like it or dislike it... but it does help me at times to avoid getting zapped, lol. Good for me to at least recognize it
Rain in dry soil especially

Perhaps it's also a smell I rarely get to enjoy, as the climate here is pretty humid. It being less prevalent here, makes certain smells a lot more enjoyable when they do occur.
It's really humid here too. I totally feel you there. Love the smell of wood smoke in the fall too.

Creosote, the smell after it has rained on a hot day, and hyacinths.

For some reason the smell of perfumes makes me feel sick.

Oh my gosh, this could take me forever. Sometimes I think smell in itself is an obsession of mine. My days and nights are guided by scents. I keep certain scents around for particular emotions. For instance, on a sad day, I may wash myself with Caress soap, because it's so closely tied to the feeling of my Mom being near and her scent. I smell things, everything, all the time. People think I'm a weirdo. My last boyfriend would get annoyed when I wanted to smell under his arms when he was sweaty, I had to explain to him and just make him deal with it ^_^ The things I smell obsessively aren't always "nice" smells either, for instance I love to smell my daughters breath when she first wakes up. (she sucks a binky and let me tell you, it's not always sweet) :D

Glad you pointed out the difference with petrichor...rain on dry soil. The smell of rain on asphault is positively sickening to me. Such a big difference!

New Threads

Top Bottom