• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Triggers?

The main thing I can never ever control my temper over matter how hard I try and can never tolerate is people accusing me of things that are untrue.

I suppose you could say that. Just interested in learning more. I hope I don't seem intrusive. Sorry if I do. :)

No you're okay, I have this auspie pattern thing, sometimes I read the future a little or see hidden currents, your posts said seasoned Doctor, but my head said student doing thesis paper, or maybe a book. But after thinking about it I realized they may not be mutually exclusive. I guess it doesn't matter anyways, as such data should be collected to help others anyways.
My triggers are secondary interruptions, while socializing, particularly if event or people are unfamiliar. I find aggressive personalities also quite threatening, I am not a wise target to stalk, have 2 after me right now. There seems to be a wolf and lame deer pattern here. If you wish to do some good, a book on how auties and aspies,, (I'm both), can protect them selves, from these personalities, it would be nice. I also do not like being pressed and will generally raise rather than fold. All of these are likely more auti triggers and due to a aversion to overloading. I am also a bit of a imaging associative logic savant... and I do not show my true level, as it scares people too much. You may ask what you wish good luck with your...paper?

my head said student doing thesis paper, or maybe a book.
Sorry, neither a student nor a book writer. Just a therapist with both clients and personal acquaintances who are on the spectrum. Just trying to understand them all better. I am what I say I am. :)

[QUOTE="Dan Metevier, I am what I say I am. :)[/QUOTE]

Ah well my third eye is not 100% sorry to have ruffled you, you never know on the internet, who is who. Perhaps I miss read your style and there is a state line issue underneath here. The personal info was the olive branch by the way...

Last edited:
I am primarily a trauma therapist who works with a wide range of trauma clients. This includes people who have suffered severe childhood abuse/neglect. These people can find themselves triggered quite frequently by a lot of different things and be in fight/flight mode a lot as a result. I want to tread lightly on this, but can you relate at all to this (the last sentence)? I wonder just how traumatizing life (especially early life) was for you. Does this make sense? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Yes! I can relate to what childhood experiences/ environment can influence a person forever! As I get older, I have recognized Lots of Triggers that I inherited from both my parents, but particularly my father. His father was an alcoholic, & Dad had to learn to deal with that. Dad was a super controlling, critical, insecure, abrupt, manipulative & demanding man who drove all of us (2 sisters & Mom) crazy. Mom was a poor Irish Catholic girl who was brought up in an orphanage when her mother died at age 4 or so. Although she was smarter than my Dad she couldn't stand up to him. You could Never win an argument with Dad- he would verbally beat you into the ground!
If this sounds interesting to you, I go into more depth in the Autism vs ACA (Adult Children of Alcoholics) post/ thread...

I usually need to 'curl up in the proverbial ball' & be Alone & Quiet for awhile. Then I usually try to avoid whatever/ whoever caused the Overload....

I have a few triggers. Actually also diagnosed with PTSD.

Someone touching me, even lightly, when not called for. Especially with men.

Yelling, extreme anger.

Change of plans, this is big.

People bailing out completely on me, and waiting until well after the scheduled time.

Suicide threats, this is absolutely huge. I will shut down automatically.

People coming up from behind me.

Being made out to be dumb. I have been called stupid, dumb, and a retard numerous times. But I also shut down or dissociate when these things come about.

There are probably more. All of these things still really bother me. But I am getting better, able to move on quicker. I mainly just talk to the couple of safe people I have. And try to breathe, or write it out. Also grabbing something, to remember I am here, real, in the present

Edit: Oh! And music, and my puppy. Those are my lifesavers right there.

Dan!! Haven't seen any posts from you for awhile & am wondering if any of our Input helped with your Study Project???
Sorry, I've been busy with other stuff. I don't really have an official "Study Project," just an interest in people who are different, and yet in many ways the same, as me. Hope you haven't minded the intrusion. Thanks for checking in. :)

Sorry, I've been busy with other stuff. I don't really have an official "Study Project," just an interest in people who are different, and yet in many ways the same, as me. Hope you haven't minded the intrusion. Thanks for checking in. :)

I haven't minded at all!! But I just wondered about how helpful any of the replies you got were, etc. since there has been no Feedback.....

Unwanted enexpected intrusions, being lost or confused directionally, fear, too much external stimulus, loud or shrieking noises, driving at night, bright lights, PMS, conversations, talking on the phone, not understanding something I think I should, crowds, traffic.

Whew, didn't know my list would be this long! Lol!

My list of triggers is the same as DogwoodTree's, minus a couple of things. I was working with a trauma therapist who taught me CBT techniques. I utilize a CBT app I have on my iPhone, when I am triggered. It takes me through the entire process and it helps to have, while at work, out in the world, etc. I also practice mindfullness and meditation and without these remedies, I would be completely unable to function when necessary.

I haven't minded at all!! But I just wondered about how helpful any of the replies you got were, etc. since there has been no Feedback.....
My only real feedback is that, yes, the replies have been helpful to me, both personally and professionally. I have people in both my life and my practice that I can understand better as a result. Thank you!

Any change in plan, be it tiny or big.
A silly example of this was a train arriving 5 minutes earlier than expected, had a meltdown and couldn't get on haha!

New Threads

Top Bottom