• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Triggers?

I become overwhelmed from 1 thing only - too much information of any kind. It could be too many images, sounds, words, anything. Usually when they are disorganized, but I can become overwhelmed when dealing with organized information as well. It also depends on a day, amount of sleep, what I eat. I can still function but it's not easy sometimes.

I really recommend things such as ASMR for you, or something with a peaceful sound, something simple, not complex. Nature sounds? It might really help soothe what feels like total chaos inside your head!

I don't know if this is relevant..

I'm rather sensitive about a certain skill I have, namely because I've had some lucky breaks and I haven't earned it through a professional body (just off my own back). My ex insulted me once and said something that went straight through me, I couldn't have possibly thought of anything more mentally damaging that he could have said - nail on the head.

Spent around a year picking up my mental bits and pieces after that 10 second comment.

That's an anxiety trigger for me, which for my all tense and purposes just sort of happens and don't notice it starting.

- Big groups of people I don't know, or even those I do know.
- Public speaking
- Off-the cuff creative thought (Like saying - think of a random scenario, describe it in detail)
- Arguments, although I seem to some-what attract them.
- Generally being on display

And now that others mention it:

- tight fitting clothes
- Major change of plans

I'm stuck in a forever battle between buying clothes that fit me and clothes that are large enough for me to be comfortable in. I like to look good (although, I don't at the moment) so I try to balance both and usually end up with clothes that make me very anxious.

I've just changed job and they've given me a uniform (hoodie and a polo top) which is just amazing for me.. no more stress/anxiety about walking around in a shirt.

I'm not one to conform and find a shirt too conformist for my own tastes (yes I sound like 15!)

Last edited:
I don't know if this is relevant..

I'm rather sensitive about a certain skill I have, namely because I've had some lucky breaks and I haven't earned it through a professional body (just off my own back). My ex insulted me once and said something that went straight through me, I couldn't have possibly thought of anything more mentally damaging that he could have said - nail on the head.

Spent around a year picking up my mental bits and pieces after that 10 second comment.

That's an anxiety trigger for me, which for my all tense and purposes just sort of happens and don't notice it starting.

- Big groups of people I don't know, or even those I do know.
- Public speaking
- Off-the cuff creative thought (Like saying - think of a random scenario, describe it in detail)
- Arguments, although I seem to some-what attract them.

Not sure why, but I've found a LOT of AS people that take comments like you mentioned happen to you, very badly. It really hacks me off when people get personal in arguments because for them it's skin deep and they claim it's all "heat of the moment" but we make conscious efforts socially, with tactics and tips and things to make life easier and when people criticise it or belittle it, sometimes you can lock yourself up for a while. I've had family deliberately use my AS traits and behaviours as ammunition and it knocks you for 6. I have a super thick skin in every regard but that.

Sorry to hear someone was that cruel to you and how it took such a long time to feel comfortable again :(

(Also off the cuff stuff, tell them you'll have to pencil them in your diary ;) need to make an appointment haha )

Some of my triggers are:

- Not being listened to

- Being humiliated in front of people

- Feeling invalidated

- Being asked a lot of questions

- Being exposed to continuous loud noise

- Not being allowed access to my comfort items

- Being hungry

- Sleep deprivation

- Having things taken away from me

Last edited:
I think these would be mine,

what I think are unnecessary loud noises,
indecision,
pressure,
large crowds,
personal space being invaded,
Being late to go somewhere / upcoming deadlines,
Getting things wrong at work,
Realising I've overstepped a boundary,
Talking too much,

There will be so many more but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

My triggers include:

Crowds--esp. ones that give off a chaotic energy
High-pitched buzzing sounds, like saws
Being delayed or caused to be late somewhere
When I fear my cats are sick or in danger
Belittling criticism or sarcasm or questions designed to humiliate
Sudden changes in plans or expected procedures
Unexpected or major changes to my living space or work office
Being overwhelmed with multitasking
Losing my autonomy in a given situation

Being told to do something and as I go to perform the task someone else tries to get my attention or add detail to the request. Here I am ready to perform the task and I have to wait until my instructions are ammended? Ugh.

In a similar manner, I can be told I am finished with my task and can go relax for awhile only to be snatched up for another right as I am headed for my room. Gah!

Lots of people talking at once
Disorganisation/chaos
Things not happening as I expect them to or when I was told they would
People whispering and laughing near me (I always imagine it's about me - a hangover from childhood)
Loud noises especially unexpected loud noise.
Gadgets not working as they should
Talking in public places where a lot of people can overhear
Ringtones
People getting too close to me/touching me when I wasn't expecting it
People who break the rules - these may be the law or rules I have in my head about how people should behave - so for example people who try and jump the queue to get on the bus.
People talking down to me, or as though I am a child.
Feeling invalidated
Being ignored
Making a mistake or saying something wrong.
Feeling overwhelmed
Anxiety/stress in general.

I have many more ...

Bright lights, too much sunlight in my face or eyes, loud sudden noises, annoying laughs or high pitched squeaky voices, people who talk and hiss a lot when they talk, feeling crowded or pressured, crowds, a lot of people in one place, hot temperatures or stuffy rooms,feeling like people are staring at me or judging me, having too many things to do at once. I can do things very well individually but I can't multi-task well at all. Just can't Those are a few of my major triggers. Also clutter, bad smells, or messy houses or rooms I can't stand people who don't clean up after themselves or have mess spaces. I also hate when I'm driving and at a red light I always feel like the people there are going to stare at me.

Drove in some thick traffic this morning and my heart was racing and I was crawling out of my skin..

I share lots of similar triggers as those mentioned above, for example like Bimog said-people walking behind me, especially with clicky shoes. I also hate the sound of car engines and bass pumped out of cars driving around the neighborhood---or stationary bass for that matter. There are certain subjects I am afraid even to write down here or even think. Also:

get togethers, children in enclosed spaces like cafeterias, something hitting my two front teeth (they are fake from a childhood accident), power tools, motorcycles, my neighbor's freezer (plugged up outside in line with our front door!), people around my house talking or doing yard work, upsetting/annoying someone, exchanges getting replayed over and over and over esp. if something was "off", over scheduling...

I use the word "trigger" to mean anything that someone sees, hears, touches, smells, senses, imagines, tastes, and so on, that activates their "fight/flight/freeze" survival mechanism (causes a meltdown, a fight or argument, a high degree of distress, avoidance, etc.).

If you're willing to say, what are some of the strongest triggers of which you are aware?

Thank you!
Men with suits and ties. Yikes!

I don't think I saw the other thread...here are some thoughts of mine...

Perceived rejection

Chaos, noise, indecision

Sudden changes of plans

Manipulation, where someone is using me to get what they want

Sexual attraction

Crowds

A child being mistreated

A man giving any kind of appearance of being overbearing

Touching or hearing, sometimes even just seeing, aluminum foil

Guilt trips

Attention from my family, even for something like a birthday

Deadlines approaching that I'm unprepared for

This one is bad...seeing others getting compliments for something I know I could do better, and have, and often was not recognized for it

Lack of access to distractions when I'm around people I don't really want to be with

Getting into trouble for doing something wrong...for example, a parking ticket can double or triple my heart rate, so I'm very careful to obey laws as best I know how!

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Crowded rooms with everyone talking at once. Yikes!

I'm triggered by triggered people's triggers. Someone told me that's called The Domino Effect, but I really don't get why. All I know is that too many people are much too easily offended these days and over-analyze everything , although I feel like a total hypocrite when I say that.

What triggers me? Well apart from the usual, people who I send regular emails to, who don't have the courtesy to respond to said emails! SO annoying, same with phone calls, I use minutes on my mobile to ring somebody up, leave a message if need be, and 3 days later they still haven't rung me back!

Foreign call centres! Don't get me wrong I'm NOT racist, I just can't talk to Indian call centres because they don't understand my strong local accent which is not only a Sheffield accent, it borders on Mancunian and Liverpudlian sometimes lol.

Being told lies about why I was forced to change my plans.
Being told any of the following:
"not my problem, mate!"
"well, that's your problem!"
"you've got a problem."
"you gotta problem?"

Yes, I have this serious rage problem that's triggered by.. :mad: ***turns into the Hulk***

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

And then of course it's on the "VR replay" for the next month, years sometimes. :(

New Threads

Top Bottom