• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are the saddest, most tragic Movie/TV scenes that have made you cry, shed tears?

Re: What are the saddest, most tragic Movie/TV scenes that have made you cry, shed te

A lot of moments in Pixar films have brought tears to my eyes. Jesse's back-story in Toy Story 2, the ending of Toy Story 3, Sulley's farewell to Boo in Monster's Inc., when Eve looks through the footage of the adorable Wall-E looking after her after she saw the plant and shut down, waiting for her to wake up again, and, of course, the beautiful story and soundtrack of Finding Nemo. I can't say I cried during Up, but I was incredibly moved. That film had such a strong emotional centre that gave real weight to the whole adventure story.

There is also the World War 2 French film Sarah's Key that had a devastating moment where Sarah's family are rounded up in with the rest of the French Jewish population, and the little girl tries to protect her brother from the authorities by locking him in the cupboard, (which is where the key from the title becomes important). It is the best thing a girl of 7 could think to do, even though it meant that he starved to death and rotted away in that dark, scary space, as we later find out. The thought of my little brother experiencing that made it an especially distressing scene.

I also cried during the little boy's funeral in My Girl, that scene totally wrecked me.

Re: What are the saddest, most tragic Movie/TV scenes that have made you cry, shed te

A lot of moments in Pixar films have brought tears to my eyes. Jesse's back-story in Toy Story 2, the ending of Toy Story 3, Sulley's farewell to Boo in Monster's Inc., when Eve looks through the footage of the adorable Wall-E looking after her after she saw the plant and shut down, waiting for her to wake up again, and, of course, the beautiful story and soundtrack of Finding Nemo. I can't say I cried during Up, but I was incredibly moved. That film had such a strong emotional centre that gave real weight to the whole adventure story.

There is also the World War 2 French film Sarah's Key that had a devastating moment where Sarah's family are rounded up in with the rest of the French Jewish population, and the little girl tries to protect her brother from the authorities by locking him in the cupboard, (which is where the key from the title becomes important). It is the best thing a girl of 7 could think to do, even though it meant that he starved to death and rotted away in that dark, scary space, as we later find out. The thought of my little brother experiencing that made it an especially distressing scene.

I also cried during the little boy's funeral in My Girl, that scene totally wrecked me.

Up made me tear up a bit ... that was such a wonderful film and I loved it heaps. And Brave made me tear up a little at the end. Gotta love pixar movies (and some of dreamworks aren't too bad).

Then again cloudy with a chance of meatballs gave all geeks hope of love :)

Optimus Prime Dying in Transformers : The Movie 1986.

Most of The Perks Of Being A Wallflower.

The end of Les Miserables (TBH the last half hour).

The last scene in Black Adder Goes Forth.

So many more, can't think right now though.

The Pursuit of Happyness, at the end.

I cried at the very end of Sarah's Key when it turned out that the woman who'd been researching Sarah's life named her daughter (who she ended up not aborting) after Sarah, and she tells Sarah's son William the little girl's name and then he starts crying.

Last edited:

Many. Having a visual brain I've watched a lot of films. Here's one that always gets me [THE BIG BLUE] & I can no longer watch it. Maybe that's good + it was a vcr tape that broke. After my best friend & competitor died [my middle brother-I tried to save his life] I found the movie "The Big Blue." It's based on a true story. Both my brother and I were elite athletes-by his sophomore year, he was already a legend.

In childhood we often competed against each other. For one semester [I was a freshman] in high school we trained together. After that I joined a gym outside of high school [different sport.] The Big Blue is about two men 1 Italian [NT who had my brothers personality] & 1 Frenchman [acts autistic] who grew up together in Greece.

They both became World Champion professional free divers who competed against each other [diving without breathing equipment.] The relationship, mentorship, competitiveness & closeness between them is EXACTLY like that of my brother and me. In fact the Frenchman acts autistic [dolphins are his family.]

At the end of the movie, the mentor Italian guy is dying [injured during competition] and asking for one last favor, for his best friend the Frenchman, to let him die in the water. To bring him back down...to die where he belongs. The Frenchman obliges and brings his friend and mentor down into the Big Blue to die. Tears are rolling down my cheeks...here it is:

[Italian] Enzo: You were right.

[Frenchman] Jacques: About what?

Enzo: It's much better down there... It's a better place...

Jacques: no...

Enzo: Push me back in the water...

Jacques: No, I couldn't...

Enzo: Jacques... Take me back down... Please...

Last edited:

The BIG BLUE

[after getting 10,000 dollars while diving to save an important person's life]

Roberto: Enzo, what are you going to do with the money?

Enzo: Have the car painted.

Roberto: Guiseppe will do that for 25 dollars.

Enzo: Then tell him to wax it too.

Roberto: Enzo, really, whatcha going to do with the money?

Enzo: A rosary for mama, a dress for Angelica and you, get yourself a suit that fits. But most important.

Roberto: Yes

Enzo: Find me the Frenchman. Find me Jacques Mayol.

Enzo then finds Jacques & entices him to compete in Free Diving competitons...

Another scene:

The epitome of their relationship, Jacques asks his mentor friend Enzo for Advice. The SAME things I asked my brother:

Jacques: I don't understand. Please explain to me.

Enzo: What do you want to know?

Jacques: Everything!

Enzo: About what?

Jacques: About everything!

Enzo: Mama mia.

Last edited:

I cried at the end of The Notebook when Allie, as an old woman, realizes that Noah was telling the story of their love. When she says "It was us."
I'm not really a crier...for some reason old people just jerk at my tears.

Movies never make me cry, but the ending of this one came close for some reason (they would have been happy tears though):

Last edited by a moderator:

Remains of the Day is about a butler who is totally unable to show emotion. a clear Aspie. In the movie, he's on his way to visit someone while he has flashbacks of a previous period in his life and of his friendship with a housekeeper who worked in the same house he did.
It's implied that they had secret romantic feelings for each other, but this didn't go anywhere.
In one scene, he hears sounds from her room. She's huddled up on the floor, crying hard. He goes in and approaches her, but the only thing he is able to say is some stuff about the domestic matters of the house.

I want to say the Buffy episode "The Body," but I don't know if I actually cried...I think it just left me pale and shaken.

On Enterprise when T'pol and Travis lost their baby

Me too; that movie broke me up + I was watching it with my female friend...she saw a few tears roll down my cheeks.

I cried at the end of The Notebook when Allie, as an old woman, realizes that Noah was telling the story of their love. When she says "It was us."
I'm not really a crier...for some reason old people just jerk at my tears.

My oldest brother acts & kinda looks like Fredo.

I'm neither a crier nor a movie buff but a scene I remember seeing as very sad was from The Godfather trilogy. The Godfather (Michael Corleone) had a brother, Fredo, whom he loved very much. Fredo was a classic tragic fool & no amount of correction, leeway or efforts to reform had any effect. It came to a point where the Godfather had to order a hit on his own beloved brother as he had become a truly dangerous liability & his missteps & folly had endangered his own family & the entire enterprise. He sets Fredo up to go fishing on a chaloupe with the hit man. Fredo knows that it's all over & resigns himself to his fate. You can feel the weight of this decision on Michael's shoulders & he is never the same afterwards.

"the Big Blue" movie. Their last competition together, the older World Champ vs. the younger Diver {lifelong best friends.} Enzo the older Diver is wearing the Diving mask. Mortally wounded while competing, Enzo asks his friend to "take me back down there" where his body is left in the ocean.

le grand bleu,la mort d'enzo - YouTube =not English-couldn't find the English translation one

"The Big Blue was a film I first saw in the early 90s, and every time I?ve seen it since then, it reminded me of those feelings ? of wanting to let go. Some may call it the fatalist in me, but like the film, I think it?s sensing there?s more to this world than most of us dare to imagine.

In the film we meet two young friends, Enzo and Jacques who share a passion for free diving (where you dive as deep as you can with a single breath and no equipment other than a rope and a weighted mechanism to take you down). They would challenge each other with competitions, seeing who could retrieve a coin from the bottom of the ocean first. Enzo was the better of the two, and after one of these competitions, they watched Jacques? father head off on a dive where he later dies after his equipment malfunctions.

The story then moves forward to some years later when Enzo (Jean Reno) and Jacques (Jean-Marc Barr) are all grown up but they haven?t seen each other in some time. Jacques is working in Peru where he meets Johana (Rosanna Arquette), an insurance broker from New York who becomes infatuated with him. After she returns to New York, Enzo then visits him and convinces him to enter the World Diving Championships in Taormina, Sicily. When Johana learns about this, she then persuades her boss to send her there on business, but instead plans on using the time to get further acquainted with Jacques.

With the three of them now in Sicily, going by conventional movie plots what we?d expect to see unfolding is a love triangle between these characters ? Besson gives us that, but he adds something else too. Although Johana vies for Jacques? affections and Enzo does his best to bring out the competitor in him, his heart truly belongs to the ocean and the dolphins.

There?s something otherworldly about Jacques, even when he walks on land he looks like he?s not accustomed to it. When we see him in the water he?s in his element and even Johana?s love and Enzo?s friendship can?t hold him to this world.

The Big Blue takes its time to tell its story; Besson is in no rush for the film to reach its symbolic end, leaving Jean-Marc Barr to shine in a role that brought him so much acclaim. Beautifully shot, it lingers on its oceanic scenes, bringing us a hypnotic view of the world beneath the surface, allowing us to see what draws Jacques to it.

?ric Serra?s music perfectly underscores what we see on screen, helping us to connect with Johana?s despair when she feels Jacques slipping from her, but also understanding where he needs to be.

Besson?s visuals and Serra?s music are a perfect union for this timeless film which is sometimes interpreted as one with a tragic ending. Yet when I watch it, it?s not a feeling of sadness I?m left with, but one of hope. Jacques has returned to the one place that was always his home, free of this world and all the things that kept him anchored here. For me, there?s no sadness in that, only joy and hope that when my
time comes I?ll be brave enough to take that dive."

The Big Blue (Movie, 1988) | STATIC MASS EMPORIUM

Attachments

• imagesCAHP7EVO.jpg
    imagesCAHP7EVO.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 105
  • bigbluereno3.jpg
    bigbluereno3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 106
  • jacque and enzo.jpg
    jacque and enzo.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 121
  • imagesCAPAKCFT.jpg
    imagesCAPAKCFT.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Pretty much that last half hour of Artificial Intelligence when Haley Joel Osment's character is trying to find his "mom" like 1,000 years later. I have never cried so hard watching a movie before... omg. :cry:

That one got me too. If the director was going for hopeless despair with that movie, they sure achieved it.

One that I tear up thinking about is the Bram Stoker's Dracula movie with Gary Oldman. The premise of the entire story is sad. Someone finds their true love. A betrayal leads to one killing themselves, believing the other had been killed in battle. The main character forsakes God, to achieve eternal life and spend it searching for his reincarnated love. Searching hopelessly for 1,000 years. That love is found again! His reincarnated wife comes to a realization of their timeless love. The hero, who has now become an evil nemesis, is hunted. They are cornered. His wife, seeing what he had become, is forced to kill him. Because of his transgressions against God, the implication being that they will now be separated for eternity, he being banished to hell, her with the possibility of one day ascending to heaven. Does she stay the course, or forsake God as well and follow her love?

What's worse, the orchestral theme at times just rips your heart out, and is perfectly timed with the scenes. Overall, I agree this is probably a really cheesy movie. For me, it was more the concept of the story, the emotions and transformations of the characters, and that damn orchestral score (some of which was very good IMO). ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom