• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Watching the same cartoons series for months

Sabrina

Gentle & brave earthling
I just wonder if someone could relate to this. My son only watches ONE series at a time for months. He spent 4 months watching Curious George (every day, a minimum of three hours).Then (because I suggested it) he changed to Lego Star Wars, and again , four months more of it. I convinced him again to switch programs, and now he's been watching Pokèmon XY for two months now.

Oh yeah, I did that, especially as a kid. I remember watching "Muppet Treasure Island" at least three times a day for at least a couple years. Same with other movies; Star Wars Episode One, the Lion King, Mulan. It was before the time of on-demand TV but if I had that I imagine I would've done the same with cartoons.

I watch the movie Casablanca at least once a week, a little different but I love the movie and the history.

Its just autism in boys
i did it with ivor the engine /bagpuss/but no video then -tried to play it back in my head,did with music so did my sister- same with reading one book ,its probably akin to natural opiate high
I just wonder if someone could relate to this. My son only watches ONE series at a time for months. He spent 4 months watching Curious George (every day, a minimum of three hours).Then (because I suggested it) he changed to Lego Star Wars, and again , four months more of it. I convinced him again to switch programs, and now he's been watching Pokèmon XY for wo months now.

I'm like that right now with Rick and Morty. I do it for a month or two, then I'll switch back to Blackadder, or Red Dwarf, or Blue Planet.

My youngest child only watches Thomas, Big Block Sing Song or Peppa Pig.

90% of the times when I watch a show, it's something I've seen over and over again. I keep rotating between Arrested Development, Rick and Morty, Archer, Adventure Time, Sea Lab and Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Somehow it's relaxing to watch something I've already seen. I don't need to focus and I know I'll be entertained.

90% of the times when I watch a show, it's something I've seen over and over again. I keep rotating between Arrested Development, Rick and Morty, Archer, Adventure Time, Sea Lab and Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Somehow it's relaxing to watch something I've already seen. I don't need to focus and I know I'll be entertained.

It think that's why I do it. I know I like these shows, I know I won't be disappointed. People try to get me into new stuff and I just can't do it, and when they go on and on it makes me anxious. The only time I'll watch something new is if I come across it by myself and I'm already pretty certain I'll like it.

It think that's why I do it. I know I like these shows, I know I won't be disappointed. People try to get me into new stuff and I just can't do it, and when they go on and on it makes me anxious. The only time I'll watch something new is if I come across it by myself and I'm already pretty certain I'll like it.
This. I hate when people try to get me to watch new shows. Especially when they want to watch it together. I'm usually too tired, mentally, to want to watch something new. I get really anxious when people tell me they want to come over and watch this one show they like.

This. I hate when people try to get me to watch new shows. Especially when they want to watch it together. I'm usually too tired, mentally, to want to watch something new. I get really anxious when people tell me they want to come over and watch this one show they like.
I don't like watching things with other people. Usually it seems like they either want to give you their opinion of what you're watching (hint: I don't care!), or want your opinion on whatever they want to watch.

But yeah, I'm 27 and I do this. Always have done - watching the same thing over again. Most recent has been The Lion King repeatedly (Still a little spooked by how much I can relate to Scar at certain points in that movie - and the mannerisms don't help!) - Before that I was watching Regular Show all the time, but I don't think I've watched it since I saw the final episode one time - I guess it gave me some kind of closure that allowed me to get away from it more easily. I've kinda managed to get away from this "watching stuff repeatedly" thing in recent weeks but now I'm listening to/playing the same music and over and over. (Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" album).

I think it's mainly just finding comfort in familiarity. I find it's easier to relax and unwind if I put myself in a situation where I know exactly what to expect.

I'm usually back and forth between watching different shows, cartoons and films. Also, I often just watch the same parts over and over.
For example, I may put on the film Stealth (which isn't a good film in my opinion but it's passable) and just watch it for the scenes involving the aircraft.
At the moment in regards to cartoons, I'm currently watching a mixture of Samurai Jack, Batman Beyond, The Zeta Project and Moomin - as odd a combination as that may seem.

My spouse watches the same shows over and over, even as an adult. Does it count that I've read some books like Lord of the Rings, every year since I was twelve?:) Somehow the familiarity of them, makes the books comforting.

ive always watched the same things over and over,the same things i watched as a child plus a few extras.
my favourite lifelong show is thomas the tank engine [the original] i watch it over and over and when i go to my parents house i do the same thing there via his firestick.
my other long time show though not lifelong as it wasnt out when i was a kid is in the night garden,i love it fiercely,it has the same format as thomas, its got a routine pattern throughout the episode that you can follow so that it is predictible in a sense.

my other favourite shows are bobs burgers,family guy,american dad and cleveland show,i prefer animation to real stuff because my very bad visual perception can make out shapes better in them.
i have also added two newer cartoons to my life; 'animals' and 'jeff and some aliens',ive really got obsessed with them,especially animals-each episode is about a specific breed of animal and how they see life,its really funny but not something you would sit your child/niece etc in front of.

I started watching it and now it's become almost an obsession :p I've always been the same.

giphy (41).gif

I just wonder if someone could relate to this. My son only watches ONE series at a time for months. He spent 4 months watching Curious George (every day, a minimum of three hours).Then (because I suggested it) he changed to Lego Star Wars, and again , four months more of it. I convinced him again to switch programs, and now he's been watching Pokèmon XY for two months now.

I am like that when it comes to playing games. I'm completely zoned in on Hearthstone right now and play nothing but that. A couple of years ago it was Skyrim, and only that - then after that it was Fallout NV only. I used to be unwilling to try out new things, but I've improved on that now. When I was a kid my father put on a Beatles CD for me to listen to, and after a couple of minutes I just walked away. Later on I decided to keep listening to the Beatles because I didn't want to hurt his feelings, and have gotten to simply love them. Once that happened I was only listening to the Beatles, and then my father wanted to introduce me to other bands, the next one being CCR. I was very reluctant to listen to other bands, I just wanted to listen to the Beatles. Eventually I gave it a try. I have since become versatile in terms of listening to a variety of music and watching multiple TV shows, but when it comes to games I still only focus on one (maybe two, on occasion) for some reason.

Thank you all for your answers! Now that I think about it, it's not just my son. I saw The Walking Dead, from Season 1 to 5 three times, Season 6 two times, 7 one time (it's not as good any more). And in the middle of my post partum depression I saw Twilight (1) more than twenty times :p.

I saw The Walking Dead, from Season 1 to 5 three times, Season 6 two times, 7 one time

Own all the seasons of Walking Dead 1 to 6. Have watched them several times, and binge watched them again when they come back on. ¯\_ツ_/¯ Judge and Tom (and I think Tree) like the show as well.

Own all the seasons of Walking Dead 1 to 6. Have watched them several times, and binge watched them again when they come back on. ¯\_ツ_/¯ Judge and Tom (and I think Tree) like the show as well.
It is an honor to find another grown up woman that gets TWD :D..

I have hundreds of films on DVD. And manage to re-watch just about all of them on a regular basis. And it's quite routine for me to watch a film broadcasted on television that I already have on disk. For me some films are just too compelling to watch, no matter how many times I've seen them before.

That I watch films the way others listen to music.

Last edited:
Pokemon was all and everything for years. Before Pokemon was Power Rangers, before that was Ninja Turtles. Only being older has made me able to appreciate multiple things at the SAME time.

Pokemon yay! I used to write out every single fact about Pokemon from every episode, which I taped every single episode off of TV and watched it over and over again and took extensive notes. You can imagine how peeved I was when they started changing the Pokemon's Stats, Types, Attacks and Abilities. There was a time I knew every single Pokemon's number, name, attacks, weakness, defense, and special abilities. I was well on my way to being an actual Pokemon Master. :p

With Power Rangers I constantly made replicate weapons, uniforms (to the best of my preteen ability), power coins, and everything else I could possible make to emulate being a real actual Power Ranger. Even though I was actually more obsessed with Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd. When they left the show to move in with Rita's dad it kind of really killed it for me. -._-.

New Threads

Top Bottom