• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The last thing that made you cry...

AGXStarseed

An opposite to "the last thing that made you laugh" thread.

For some of us, getting ourselves to cry is actually really difficult, while for others crying may be easy to do.
For me, the most nowadays I'm able to do is make my eyes water a bit but as for actual crying it seems like a near-impossibility. In the 2009 claymation film Mary and Max, Max even states during one of his letters that he can't cry.

When I was a kid, it was easier - especially considering some of the emotionally traumatic stuff we used to watch on TV and in movies. Heck, even Disney movies had a lot of really sad moments.
As I've gotten older, however, crying is something that my brain has seemingly turned off or at least to standby. Problem is, I can't find the remote to turn it back on.

So, in this thread you can put in the last thing that made you cry or, alternatively, stuff that used to make you cry.
I'll throw in a few here:

The last thing that made me cry recently was several months ago. I was reading about my home (Hull, England) and read about the Triple Trawler Tragedy. Looking further into it, I came across this song: http://moozi.co/artist/Frankie-Armstrong/track/Lament-for-the-Hull-Trawlers
(Leave the page to load up, the song will start playing on its own)
The song - coupled with my brain running a mind movie of how I imagined the tragedy unfolding and the emotional reactions of the families who lost their fathers/husbands - did get me crying.
Unfortunately, it seems to have only been a one time thing as when I try it now, I feel sad but can't cry again.

Something that made me cry as a kid was the movie The Land Before Time, back when I had a big love of dinosaurs. However, the scene with Littlefoot the sauropod talking to his fatally injured mum before she died genuinely made me sob my eyes out when I first saw it (added to the fact I have a strong bond with my own mum, and the thought of losing her is a scary one).

I cried last night while watching a Documentary film called 'Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about his Father.'
It was made by a man after his close friend's ex girlfriend murdered him. (murdered her ex boyfriend, the film-maker's close friend). It then turned out that she was pregnant, and the baby was the murdered person's son. "Zachary" was the baby's name. The whole story is even longer and sadder than what I have told here.

The thing that makes it so powerful is that, unlike most movies, it is a real story that happened to real people.

An onion. I have never encountered an onion that actually made me cry or even bothered me. That evilly little thing actually had me bawling. My husband made me wash my hands before coming near him because just the fumes off my fingers was making him get a little choked up. That was some onion! :confused:

During the initial part of my re-entry to living alone again after my TBI,I sat down one morning and cried like a baby because I thought I was never going to be able to cope with life again in the condition I was in at the time. After I dried up my tears,I sat upright again and said out loud to myself,"Mother-expletive,you never quit on me before,you aren't allowed to quit on me now!"

From that day forward,I saw life in a very different light and adopted a positive manner that was a push to become as close to whole again as possible. I still struggle with some issues that I will carry to my grave,but now realize that no matter how bad I think I have it,there is someone out there who is worse off than me.

Will I cry again? Most likely in sorrow for the loss of someone close to me,but never for myself ever again.

I was browsing a message board and I came across a page from a Scrooge McDuck comic symbolically portraying his parents dying in their sleep in his past. It was portrayed beautifully with them being greeted by an ancestor and led into a wall to meet their dead family members and friends, with the sun shining in through the window revealing the shadow of a lifeless body on the bed. Pretty dark for a Disney comic, really.

Might sound silly, but hey, it was beautiful and sad and made me think of my own family and I shed a manly tear.

My sister coming home from school. I cried mostly because I was happy to see her. I haven't seen her for six weeks. This is good though. To have her home is a relief for me. So one I can talk to who may understand better than my parents.

When my last girlfriend broke up with me via text about a month ago. I seriously thought she was The One. I went over to my friend's house and got drunk and sobbed like a child. The next day while nursing my hangover, I was like "Okay. I cried. I felt bad for myself. It's time to get over it now." And I've been pretty much fine ever since. I got a little choked up last week when I accidentally played her ringtone (Irene's Theme from BBC Sherlock) but I refuse to let myself get the way I was that first night again.

Last edited:
I tear up over a lot of random things, maybe part of that is the medication maybe part of it is being a wuss I dunno.

I empathize with animals more than I do with people. Actually, I don't like people for the most part, and I have a hard time empathizing with them at all... unless it's related to an animal, particularly the loss of a furry friend. This commercial is beautiful, last night I had tears rolling down my cheeks one after the other.

Found myself watching The Iron Giant after however many years, and found myself tearing up at this scene - especially how the part near the end sounds like a heartbeat failing.

Last edited:
The only times I can remember properly crying in the last...four years at least, but probably many more than that, have been in relation to either deaths or the end of a serious relationship. I've teared up at other times, usually in contemplation of loneliness and the desire to be there for someone, and other times because I was trying to make myself cry to get some release. Unfortunately, I've had reason to cry more in the last year and a half than I probably did in the previous decade.

Edit: Generally, I simply don't get the physiological urge to cry, but when I do I hate it and despise myself, with exceptions for those rare instances I mention above. I remember that, from the time I was very young, if I ever got the urge to cry I would get angry at myself and, in order to contain it, would either whisper or growl, "Control! Control! Control!"

This is probably a slightly Aspie expression of something very much motivated by masculinity and need for dominance/control.

Last edited:
i cried like a baby on christmass eve in tesco, me and my boyfriend bumped into his pairents and i was tired and the shop was busy and i had a breakdown when we bumped into them, i think i then cried more out of embarrasment

I don't cry, haven't in decades but, if I recall the last time I did was 1983 when I froze as the lead in my school play due to stage fright and, got booed and laughed off the stage.

Now that's funny, me with out of control stage firght? LOL But then it wasn't funny at all. Still I did learn what to expect on stage in a small auditorium and, that was enough to allow me to prepare for the next time I would be on stage, less than a year later and, I was okay then, not good by any stretch of the word but, okay up there. Now stage? Where? Oh can I get a cameo at least? A duet? A solo on the next song? Need another keyboardist? LOL Yes I love it now but, back then being on stage was enough to give me a public meltdown.

i cried last week reading MAUS a graphic novel on the holocaust, it really puts things in perspective and was really sad, great read if anyone gets the chance.

Yesterday when my friend was angry with me for something stupid I'd done and threatened to start avoiding me. I've got a fear of abandonment and rejection.

New Threads

Top Bottom