• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oh, For Shame!

For some reason computer forums seem to attract bitter people who want to express their own pain by hating others.

The IT professional sites are not generally like that, just the consumer ones. Additionally half the people on there don't know what they are taking about.

I gave up on forums as I don't seem to come across well to NT s on that medium. Maybe I'm too blunt or sense of humour is too odd.

im a hoarder to.
but with nintendo,my sister-who is an aspie is quite the same,she only likes nintendo and she has a 3ds thing,she had their other consoles to.
i have the original NES to still at my parents house.

as for the original topic,its nice to know someone has agreed with what youve wrote so i like likes in that way,but i dont write to get likes, i like being an honest person and if it means writing something unpopular or something that goes against the autistic communities view i would do as i cant pretend to say or think something else it would be impossible for me and it would physically hurt me to even try.

i hate it when the like system is abused though and it makes a mockery of what the system is designed for.
i used to be on a computing forum and there was a dislike option there to,and i was bullied through it,people were continuously disliking me and the community judged me on it and ignored me because they thought i was trouble,i had done nothing wrong but the users there were regulary calling me a r****d and telling me i had no right to an opinion,basically they hated slower people,showing constant disablist views and the rest of them just pressing dislike because everyone else was doing it.i thought they were scum they made me feel terrible with their comments on my disabilities.

Oh my goodness! You misunderstand! Or I didn't put my point across well.

The reactions have no particular intrinsic worth, that should go without saying. But I did just say it. I view them as a way of indicating support, encouragement, and, dare I say it, affection! As somebody above put it so wonderfully :rolleyes::

This is why I created this thread. I am struck by the rate of attrition here. Go back to a year-old thread, heck, even one that's only six months old; the number of people who are no longer active is disturbing. What is one of our biggest problems, a worry that can plague us? We don't know how we are perceived by others, we don't know if we are fitting in, if we are valued. What do most of us value? Clarity! My clicking on a symbol is a clear way of saying "thank-you".

If we don't support each other, how can we ask that of others?

I had that when I post a thread and note that most of the "long timers" do not answer, I think: ah, you don't like me?. I know that it is going to happen, but it hurts still. But hey, as my husband always says: be thankful for the ones who do like you.

I know exactly what you mean as I often feel the same about stuff online.

Remember that you are making assumptions though.

You have no way to know so I think it's important not to torture oneself.

This is why I created this thread. I am struck by the rate of attrition here. Go back to a year-old thread, heck, even one that's only six months old; the number of people who are no longer active is disturbing.

One of the things I've noticed here, is that many people come here to pick aspie/autie brains. They have a specific question about their friend, or girlfriend or boyfriend, wife or husband's behavior or an incident or something that happened that perplexed them. They are answered and then they leave. Rarely to return unless they have more questions.

I'm an iPhone user. I don't feel bad about it at all. I also use an apple computer, and I really don't feel bad about it either. Standing over here with my awesome stuff not knowing why you guys are haters! :cool:

Huzzah, a fellow iPhone user! I was contemplating slithering away and hiding in shame over my poor choice of phone, but it's all good now. :D

One of the things I've noticed here, is that many people come here to pick aspie/autie brains. They have a specific question about their friend, or girlfriend or boyfriend, wife or husband's behavior or an incident or something that happened that perplexed them. They are answered and then they leave. Rarely to return unless they have more questions.
yes! so many people dont stay here,looking back at all the old posts hardly any of the members arent here anymore,and some of them still have VIP accounts, if they were that bothered to get a VIP account you would think they would be more obsessed with the forum.

Huzzah, a fellow iPhone user! I was contemplating slithering away and hiding in shame over my poor choice of phone, but it's all good now. :D
im not an iphone user,i have a crappy £20 EE rook android smart phone that has a tiny hard drive/memory stick....but,if i had the money i would have an iphone straight away as it is the best platform for autism apps like proloquo2go.
so dont hide your iOS,be proud. :D

I will concede that the app store is better that Google Play.

It hurts to say that though.

I was getting excited at the idea of an Ubuntu phone a few years ago, but the kickstarter campaign failed.

I was getting excited at the idea of an Ubuntu phone a few years ago, but the kickstarter campaign failed.
see,its good to admit some dodgy things sometimes. :D
i would absolutely love an ubuntu phone,linux is superior,it would be so much better than buggy windows phones,can you just imagine doing sudo apt-get to download a decent open source program?

I'd love it too, and it was planned to be unified across devices. One OS for all machines.

Microsoft had the chance and ballsed it up as usual.

I run opensuse which I prefer to Ubuntu, but I'd take Linux over windows any day.

Apple Macs are ok as you can get Linux on them, and get rid of Osx. Poor iPhone users are doomed to run iOs :(

Ha, an Ubuntu phone! I wonder where they found that name, and whether the true meaning of 'Ubuntu' was understood.

I'd love it too, and it was planned to be unified across devices. One OS for all machines.

Microsoft had the chance and ballsed it up as usual.

I run opensuse which I prefer to Ubuntu, but I'd take Linux over windows any day.

Apple Macs are ok as you can get Linux on them, and get rid of Osx. Poor iPhone users are doomed to run iOs :(
i couldnt agree more with you though if you require some good autism apps your only choice is with ios. :/

excellent choice there still with your linux,i know its open source now but SuSE [as it used to be called] was my first linux distro in 2000,back then you could buy it in the PC shops on a proper professional set of discs and it was advertised in PC magazines as being a windows alternative thats easy to get used to,i had bought SuSE professional,but i took the disc out to early in the installation and caused a GRUB GEOM error i lost everything on the hard drive,i meltdowned but i carried on and installed it and had a fantastic time,windows fate was sealed i forever installed linux up until that annoying secure boot crap which has drummed fear into me ever since with every new laptop i buy,because i cant get linux installed nor will it run via a virtual machine.

when ubuntu brought their first mac/PPC architecture version out,i quickly got a proper copy from cannonical and gave it to my sister,i told her that will make your mac brilliant,she never used it,what a tragedy. :(

i couldnt agree more with you though if you require some good autism apps your only choice is with ios. :/

excellent choice there still with your linux,i know its open source now but SuSE [as it used to be called] was my first linux distro in 2000,back then you could buy it in the PC shops on a proper professional set of discs and it was advertised in PC magazines as being a windows alternative thats easy to get used to,i had bought SuSE professional,but i took the disc out to early in the installation and caused a GRUB GEOM error i lost everything on the hard drive,i meltdowned but i carried on and installed it and had a fantastic time,windows fate was sealed i forever installed linux up until that annoying secure boot crap which has drummed fear into me ever since with every new laptop i buy,because i cant get linux installed nor will it run via a virtual machine.

when ubuntu brought their first mac/PPC architecture version out,i quickly got a proper copy from cannonical and gave it to my sister,i told her that will make your mac brilliant,she never used it,what a tragedy. :(

Why can't you install Linux?

You should check out opensuse leap. It's basically enterprise SUSE running closer to the bleeding edge.

I love it. Install Cairo dock and you have the only bit of Mac OS that's good too.

I run it on Lenovo Thinkpad and it runs fine. I always but Thinkpad ex lease from eBay.

3 year old $3000 laptop for $500 and you have a monster that never dies.

Acknowledgement is fundamental to many people, AS or otherwise. I always acknowledge people who took the time to reply to any of my posts and same to the people who I feel have something meaningful to say. Too bad I cant read very post!

New Threads

Top Bottom